Creating an Image Segmentation Dataset for Multiple Classes

(James) #1

I am using the fastai library to segment images with multiple classes on a personal dataset. Consequently, I have multiple masks per image. What is the best way to proceed? Do I consolidate the masks into a single image where the background is 0, and each subsequent class is assigned an integer (1, 2, 3 etc…)? Or do I extend the SegmentationDataset class to become more like ImageMultiDataset so that it can handle multiple masks? All the examples of the V1 library that I can find of segmentation are of single class segmentation datasets. Thank you in advance!

0 Likes

The first solution is the best if the masks don’t overlap. There is an example with camvid of a segmentation problem with multiple classes.
If one pixel can belong to several classes though, you should have multiple channels in your mask.

2 Likes

(James) #3

Thank you for your prompt reply! For people who encounter a similar issue, the camvid lesson is linked below.

1 Like

(James) #4

I chose to focus on implementing a model that can segment one feature first before adding additional channels to handle overlapping features. When I call ImageBunch instance functions like show_batch() and normalize() on an ImageBunch object , I get an error along the lines of AttributeError: 'SegmentationDatasetOneFeature' object has no attribute 'normalize.' Why are the functions being called on the extended Dataset instead of the ImageBunch class?

class SegmentationDatasetOneFeature(SegmentationDataset):

def _get_y(self,i): 
    #checks if mask exists
    image_path = glob.glob(self.y[i] + "/abc.*")

#if there is no abc, load an empty one 
    if len(image_path) == 0:
        tensor = torch.tensor((), dtype=torch.int)
        tensor.new_zeros((sz, sz))
        return ImageSegment(Image(tensor))
    else:
        return open_mask(image_path[0])

data = DataBunch.create(train_ds=train_ds, valid_ds=valid_ds, test_ds=None,
bs=bs, num_workers=nw, tfms=tfms)

data = data.normalize(imagenet_stats)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
AttributeError                            Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-30-f381a0614dd5> in <module>
----> 1 data = data.normalize(imagenet_stats)

~/anaconda3/envs/fastai-1.0/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/basic_data.py in __getattr__(self, k)
    114         return cls(*dls, path=path, device=device, tfms=tfms, collate_fn=collate_fn)
--> 116     def __getattr__(self,k:int)->Any: return getattr(self.train_dl, k)
    117     def holdout(self, is_test:bool=False)->DeviceDataLoader:
    118         "Returns correct holdout `Dataset` for test vs validation (`is_test`)."

~/anaconda3/envs/fastai-1.0/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/basic_data.py in __getattr__(self, k)
     50     def __len__(self)->int: return len(self.dl)
---> 51     def __getattr__(self,k:str)->Any: return getattr(self.dl, k)
     53     @property

~/anaconda3/envs/fastai-1.0/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/basic_data.py in DataLoader___getattr__(dl, k)
     34         super().__init__(len(classes))
---> 36 def DataLoader___getattr__(dl, k:str)->Any: return getattr(dl.dataset, k)
     37 DataLoader.__getattr__ = DataLoader___getattr__

AttributeError: 'SegmentationDatasetOneFeature' object has no attribute 'normalize'
0 Likes

That’s because DataBunch doesn’t have a normliaze function (so it’s trying to find it in its train_ds). You have to use an ImageDataBunch for this.

1 Like

(Hasib Zunair) #6

@Jamie which tool did you use to create the masks for the raw images?

0 Likes

(James) #7

Can you clarify what you mean by ‘raw images?’

0 Likes

(Hasib Zunair) #8

raw images are input features without any pre-processing

0 Likes

(hari rajeev) #9

In case you are looking for an annotation tool , try Labelme

0 Likes