Combining multiple models into one output

Hi there,

I’m quite new to FastAI and I am hoping to use a model to classify fluorescent images of cells. Essentially for any given cell, there are 4 fluorescent channels (One each for the nucleus, actin filaments, golgi body and mitochondria). What I would like to do is train a model on each fluorescent channel separately and that then combines into one output function.

Essentially I want a create a large model that can look at the nucleus, actin filaments, golgi body and mitochondria with a separate model for each, independent of one another until the final classification layer (I hope I have explained that appropriately, I have attached an image for some visual understanding)

Note: Each nucleus channel image for example, is exactly the same size as the corresponding actin, golgi and mitochondria image for a given cell.

If anyone could point me in the right direction or requires more information, please let me know.

Cheers.

You can see each individual model as first producing a reduced representation/embedding and then classifying this in its final layers. You could in theory write a new nn.Module which combines these 4 outputs or embeddings, likely by freezing the previous models and training new output layers. This is probably very heavy though. Maybe just generate small embeddings and use random forests for your final classification if you really want to do it separately?