Cannot run jupyter notebook after setup

Hello all,

I am trying to get started in paperspace according to the instructions by reshamas, though from the start I have been running into problems. I ran git pull, everything is up to date. Now running conda env update gave some error messages like:

jupyter-console 5.2.0 has requirement prompt-toolkit<2.0.0,>=1.0.0, but you'll have prompt-toolkit 2.0.5 which is incompatible.

It also gave these messages for spacy, and some other things that I dont remember. I just pip installed all of them seperately to try to get around it. Though after pip install jupyter-console, ipython starts to complain:

ipython 7.0.1 has requirement prompt-toolkit<2.1.0,>=2.0.0, but you'll have prompt-toolkit 1.0.15 which is incompatible.

Now when I pip install ipython, jupyter-console starts to compmlain again and so on.

This results (i think) in me not being able to start the jupyter notebook:

~/fastai$ jupyter notebook
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/traitlets/traitlets.py", line 528, in get
    value = obj._trait_values[self.name]
KeyError: 'allow_remote_access'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/notebook/notebookapp.py", line 869, in _default_allow_remote
    addr = ipaddress.ip_address(self.ip)
  File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/ipaddress.py", line 54, in ip_address
    address)
ValueError: '' does not appear to be an IPv4 or IPv6 address

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:
  File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/bin/jupyter-notebook", line 11, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/jupyter_core/application.py", line 266, in launch_instance
    return super(JupyterApp, cls).launch_instance(argv=argv, **kwargs)
  File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/traitlets/config/application.py", line 657, in launch_instance
    app.initialize(argv)
  File "<decorator-gen-7>", line 2, in initialize
  File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/traitlets/config/application.py", line 87, in catch_config_error
    return method(app, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/notebook/notebookapp.py", line 1629, in initialize
    self.init_webapp()
  File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/notebook/notebookapp.py", line 1379, in init_webapp
    self.jinja_environment_options,
  File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/notebook/notebookapp.py", line 158, in __init__
    default_url, settings_overrides, jinja_env_options)
  File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/notebook/notebookapp.py", line 251, in init_settings
    allow_remote_access=jupyter_app.allow_remote_access,
  File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/traitlets/traitlets.py", line 556, in __get__
    return self.get(obj, cls)
  File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/traitlets/traitlets.py", line 535, in get
    value = self._validate(obj, dynamic_default())
  File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/notebook/notebookapp.py", line 872, in _default_allow_remote
    for info in socket.getaddrinfo(self.ip, self.port, 0, socket.SOCK_STREAM):
  File "/home/paperspace/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/socket.py", line 745, in getaddrinfo
    for res in _socket.getaddrinfo(host, port, family, type, proto, flags):
socket.gaierror: [Errno -2] Name or service not known

I am not sure what to do. Thanks a lot for the help, I canā€™t wait to get started.

After some more searching through the forum, I found these proposed solutions. Conda env update error on Paperspace

Iā€™ll try those out first and let you know what worked.

Thanks @willismar, changing c.NotebookApp.ip to ā€œ0.0.0.0ā€ worked for me

Thanks, the python notebook errors go away and I obtain a url. Pasting it in my browser, and replacing ā€˜localhostā€™ with my machineā€™s ip address, is not working though. The site canā€™t be reached. What am I doing wrong here?

Now that you can start jupyter correctly you need to look at the configurations of your cloud how can you create a rule to accept inbond connection from remote IP to internal IP in that specific port are you usingā€¦

You will probably have to use 0.0.0.0 or set your internal IP address on the jupyter and have this rule on the firewall to enable you to reach your papaspace. I personally donā€™t use cloud computing but all of them has some way to enable it. Try to look for a tutorial in how to enable ports and inbound connections to instance.

Thanks a lot for your help. I have to admit, I do not have much experience and having difficulty to understand your answer and breaking it down into steps I can take. If there is anyone around who could point me to a thread that describes the same issues I have, that would be much appreciated.

After a fresh install of the a Fast.ai Linux template on PaperSpace, following these instructions https://github.com/reshamas/fastai_deeplearn_part1/blob/master/tools/paperspace.md I also got the Connection refused error message from my Chrome browser from my home computer.

I have just changed 1 line in the Jupyter config file:
vi .jupyter/jupyter_notebook_config.py
Change this line: # c.NotebookApp.ip = ā€˜localhostā€™
To this one: c.NotebookApp.ip = ā€˜*ā€™

Relaunch the Jupyter Notebook server and the remote connection from my home browser works fine.

1 Like

Hi @VincentPommier,

Thank you for reach me out. I do appreciate your answer. :slight_smile:
I know the config file very well but because I donā€™t install anything directly on my host anymore (I started to use containers in 2016) then to me is much faster just set an argument in front a adhoc command / alias instead of editing spots on a configuration file. just like that.

So every time I launch a new container I just run this line once:

export JUPYTER_SECRET=$(python3 -c "from notebook.auth import passwd; print(passwd(algorithm='sha256'))") 

And put this others on my bash initialization. Each container I launch get a different IP and even if the network changes I get the new router IP there:

export JUPYTER_SECRET=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx # sha256
export JUPYTER_PORT=8888
export JUPYTER_IP=$(ip route get 8.8.8.8 | head -1 | cut -d" " -f8)
alias jlab="jupyter lab --port=$JUPYTER_PORT --ip=$JUPYTER_IP --no-browser --NotebookApp.password=$JUPYTER_SECRET  --NotebookApp.notebook_dir=/projects --allow-root "

Thank you again.

If you still have problems with this and donā€™t found another thread that can help you.

I suggest you read a little more about jupyter server here:

https://jupyter-notebook.readthedocs.io/en/stable/public_server.html

So that can clarify any of your problems running it.