Can Windows - Ubuntu dual boot hurt my experience with fastai/pytorch in any way?

I want to install ubuntu to take advantage of multiprocessing (which doesn’t work on Windows). Is there any reason to get rid of my Windows entirely or can I just keep it ?

In my experience duel booting with Windows 10 can be stressful at times. If you can live with some of the headaches I can’t see why not. The main headache I had was if I switched to windows I’d need to boot twice. Otherwise it should run just fine. Just give your Ubuntu system enough space (20-30 gb)

1 Like

But then no problems regarding installs/cuda stuff/ etc ? I don’t mind booting twice ^^

Nope. It runs as though Ubuntu is your main system. This is because they’ll use and grab from completely different areas of your hard drive (Windows and Ubuntu)

1 Like

I used to dual boot with separate harddrives. I would run into the 2x boot problems or windows would not wake correctly from sleep/hibernation, which would then require a long reboot. Eventually, I let Ubuntu run by itself and I just turn that machine on as needed when I want to program. It runs headless (no monitor) in another room and I just remote into it, using VsCode at the moment to do so.

1 Like

No problem for me, with Ubuntu and Windows on separate partitions of the same drive.

A boot menu comes up where you can choose Ubuntu or Windows. I’ve never heard of the “boot twice” issue.

1 Like