AWS AMI available for testing

For my p2 limits request I have placed last week, they responded in 2 working days.

Iā€™ve updated the AMI to fix a couple of minor issues. The new ID is ami-8c4288f4 . Name is the same. Iā€™ll updated the top post.

Hi Mr. @jeremy, I donā€™t see the image

2 Likes

@jeremy Should be setup AWS before lecture 2 or youā€™ll brief us?

I was not able to find the image too.

I also search for ā€œami-8c4288f4ā€ both in market place as well in community AMIs, no luck. If I am searching fastai only in community I am getting some results but they have different amAMI ID. I guess those are some old stuffs.

1 Like

Is it required to clone the repository to my laptop or to aws instance?.
Some one please tell what need to be done after launching an instance in order to be able to run the course notebooks.
After running a notebook from an aws instance will the changes be saved and reflected in the notebook present in my local repo ?

Most likely the new AWS AMI is set to private.

@HariSumanth9
Incase youā€™re working on the aws instance, you might follow these steps.

1. Launch the instance on AWS console.
  2. ssh -i your-aws-cert.pem ubuntu@ec2-instance-ip
  3. cd fastai; git checkout --environment.yml; git pull
  4. open tmux, launch jupyter jupyter-notebook --no-browser --ip='*'. Take note of the token. You need this in the next step.
  5. Visit the ec2-instance-ip:8888 on your web browser. Enter the token to see your notebooks.
  6. Work with the notebooks.

If you do port forwarding in step 2 using ssh -i your-aws-cert.pem ubuntu@ec2-instance-ip -L 8888:localhost:8888, then in step 5, you can access notebooks on localhost:8888 on your web browser.

If you make a few changes to your notebooks and youā€™d like to save them, you need to commit the changes to your aws-local-repo, push them to your remote fork and pull them to your laptop-local-repo.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Fixed the port-forwarding command.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing that process!

Just a small doubt: what does this line do? git checkout --environment.yml

Not very familiar with git, so just wanted to clarify. :slight_smile:

It reverts the changes made in environment.yml

same , unable to find the ami.

You need to make sure you are looking in the correct region. Are you using Oregon? Here is more info on AWS regions in case it might be useful.

Hi Jeremy

I am unable to find the AMI in the list of AMIs under the Images group - is this not the correct place to find it? The only AMI I can see which is dated in November is called V100-fastai. There is a fastai-gpu-v2 set up on October 31st, but that is not what you have identified in your post.

Thanks
Chris

Unable to find the new AMI ā€œami-8c4288f4ā€ in the Oregon region. The previous one ā€œami-5f2fe427ā€ is also not available.

Phani, What did you put in the description section, did you request more than 2?
Its been a few days for me.

@beecoder
I mentioned this in the description Requesting these instances for training deep neural networks for fast.ai course. I requested for 4 and it was approved within 2 working days.

Yeah looks like it was indeed set to ā€˜privateā€™ still. Iā€™ve made it public now - please try again! Note you need to set your region to ā€˜Oregonā€™. Sorry about the confusionā€¦

great, thanks

I am excited to finally have this AMI running on p2, thank you @jeremy.

However, I am concerned about the cost over the duration of the course.

If you do 10 hours per week, for 7 weeks, itā€™ll cost you ~$70 total. If you got the AWS $500 credits, then youā€™ll have lots left over :slight_smile:

2 Likes