Anki Deck Generator

@Ezno , I imported the deck.
Tried to Study it and got:

**Congratulations! You have finished this deck for now.**
If you wish to study outside of the regular schedule, you can use the <U+2068>custom study<U+2069> feature.'

Tried then to generate the .csv, same result…

Any suggestions?

@gsg Hmm I am unable to recreate that issue.

I have noticed that the import immediately says “successful”, but it does take about 30 seconds to complete AFTER it says the import is complete. Can you try again and wait a minute before going into study?

Can you click into view the deck - do you see the cards there?

Thank you so much for creating this tool @Ezno , I was able to generate and load the file into my local Anki app, but on macOS, it seems there are spaces between the bounding box characters? Could this be a problem with the font I’m using on the MacOS ?

Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 2.36.01 PM

I’m not sure what you mean - What is different between this and what you see in jupyter?

The font used is SAX2. You could try downloading the font on your computer and then installing it (I think on mac you can just double click it) to get the font used on our apl-study website to see if that improves things.

I solved the problem. It was importing then under the wrong “Type”.
Anki just used the “last” Type used.
I changed it to “Basic” and it imported them…

Thanks!

1 Like

I think the issue might be all those <br/>

(1 2)(3 4)<br/>,"<span style=""white-space:pre; font-family: monospace"">┌→────────────┐
<br/>│ ┌→──┐ ┌→──┐ │
<br/>│ │1 2│ │3 4│ │
<br/>│ └~──┘ └~──┘ │
<br/>└∊────────────┘
<br/></span><br/>"

That extra space shows up when the <br/> gets interpreted by the Anki app.

1 Like

Ah - I see what you mean! I am pushing a fix now.

1 Like

Thank you @Ezno ! it is fixed and also, I cannot thank you enough for creating this, it will go a long way in terms of helping n00bz like me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No problem! I made it for myself first and foremost, and I am glad it’s useful to others as well.

Keep in mind that some of the cards will be broken due to the limitation I mentioned above. Any code cell that is not self contained won’t make sense (ie variable assigned in one cell and test in another).

If enough people find it useful maybe we can come up with a way to address that.

2 Likes

Let’s change the NB cells next time we have a study group to fix that. Feel free to remind me if I forget.

1 Like

Would you prefer a PR for it? I am happy to move/copy the few variable assignments that need it prior to our next study group.

1 Like

That would be great :slight_smile: . (M merges cells in Jupyter FYI)

2 Likes

Alright all - I went much further down this rabbit hole than intended…

I just pushed another anki deck as an experiment. This deck is a complete “vocabulary” deck. While the previous deck builds from a jupyter notebook and has great code examples, this one is vocabulary and glyph recognition scraped direct from the dyalog documentation pages. Links are the bottom of this post.

This deck:

• Should contains all Glyphs (Scrapes the APL documentation website for it)
  • Cards have every combination I could think of going between various names, symbol, and documentation.
  • Contains hyperlink on the back of cards to relevent doc pages

Examples

There are a lot of different type of cards, but here’s a few examples. Possibly too many cards, so I may modify this over time as I use the app and see what I need. Feel free to take the code and run it yourself and comment out any cards.append line you don’t want!

What’s the Glyph from dyadic name?

Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 12.56.35 AM

What’s the glyph from monadic name?

Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 12.55.44 AM

Hyperlinks in the app!

Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 12.55.59 AM

Describe what the Glyph Does

Links to stuff

All decks are in this repo: GitHub - Isaac-Flath/anki

8 Likes

Wow this is amazing! coincidentally, I was creating physical flashcards last night just for the glyphs as I feel like it’s something I need to get a handle on, so this will be immensely helpful to me! Thanks so much!

1 Like

I’m just going through these and while I’m at it, I should report some things that I see. I noticed that some of the entries appear twice? I’m not sure why this might be but if I do:

grep ^⌺ apl-docs-anki.csv

or

grep ^⍤ apl-docs-anki.csv

I see two instances of it . I won’t copy the output but it’s easy to see.

Found the bug. I’ve pushed a fix. I made a clearer name for it to. Also added tags for each question.

Link to Repo with all decks: GitHub - Isaac-Flath/anki

2 Likes

I have made various other improvements. I won’t keep posting here each time, so if you want updates feel free to follow the git repo: GitHub - Isaac-Flath/anki

1 Like

I added a third APL deck as well as improvements for the APL study group. So the three at the repo are:

1. APL Study Group: I will be creating a new deck after each session so people following along can load based on where they are at in the study group to get caught up. Unfortunately I don’t have the first week broken out, but from here on out I will!
  2. Dyalog APL Docs: Minor improvements from before.
  3. New APL Cart deck!*: Cards generated from https://aplcart.info/ content!!

I added info about these to the repo readme so check it out! It includes instructions as to how I recommend using it for the APL study group members.

Feedback is welcome.

2 Likes

I saw the other two in the last fetch and was thinking, “AplCart would make a great deak!”

Thank you! You literally read my mind. :joy:

I was also inspired by @Ezno and so I made an Anki deck for the BQN glyphs. It’s now linked on the BQN community page.

4 Likes