Air cooling quad GPU build?

Hi, I am taking my next step in my DL journey and want to build a quad 3090 machine that is air cooled. I need some suggestions on the hardware that I need for this build.

I need help to figure out:

1. The chassis that can take four RTX 3090 Founders Edition GPU, each taking up 3 slots.
  2. How to attach four GPUs to the motherboard

The below is what I can figure out right now.

• AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X
  • Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3
  • ASRock TRX40 Creator motherboard (has 4 PCIe 4.0 x16, but 2 slot spacing between them)
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (4x 32GB) DDR4-3200 (upgradable to 256GB in the future)
  • WD_BLACK 2TB SN770 NVMe SSD
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 80+ TITANIUM
  • 4x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Founders Edition GPU
  • Several be quiet! Silent Wings Pro 4 120mm case fan, and its 80mm/140mm variants

There exists a 2 slot air cooled blower-style 3090 but those are hard to acquire, so I will stick with the founders edition cards.

Iā€™m trying to avoid liquid cooling because air cooling appears to be more reliable and less messy. I have experienced several AIO cooler failures and have moved back to aircooling for any machines that are left running in some corner.

GPUs will be configured to run under 300W each. This should provide sufficient headroom for the remaining components.

I really like cases from Fractal Design.

Any suggestions/comments on this build will be extremely helpful!

1 Like