Advice for Laptop Models for AI ML (Autonomous Systems) Course Works & Self-Experimentation

Hello Friends,

Greetings!

I am Rajesh Murugesan from Bangalore, INDIA. Am a Post Graduate Mechanical Engineer with 17 years of experience in Mechanical Design, Product Design.

Currently, I have joined an AI ML COURSE with the objective of transitioning my career to Autonomous Systems. For my AI ML COURSE WORKS mainly and SELF-EXPERIMENTS too, I am exploring Laptop Models (more inclination is towards purchasing a Good, Capable Laptop Model).

I see the below models are with Good CPU, RAM, GPU configs and decent form factor (portability):

Acer Predator Triton (2 Specific Modes)

Predator Triton 500 (List of All Models)
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-models/laptops/predatortriton500

Predator Helios 300 (List of All Models)
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-models/laptops/predatorhelios300

Could you please suggest me Laptop Models for my Objective?

Is it worth investing about 2,500 to 3,000 USD on Laptops for THE COURSE WORKS and SELF-EXPERIMENTS or buy a Good CPU-RAM model and go for Cloud GPU options?

Thank you for your time!

Regards,
Rajesh

To be honest, I wouldn’t want to train on a laptop. Especially if your GPU is going to be used 100%, your laptop will definitely get super hot. It is useful for presentations or small prototyping but I personally prefer having a desktop (ssh to it from a laptop) or a cloud option.

Cloud GPU saves you a bit of money initially as you don’t have to buy the hardware upfront. If you plan to utilize a lot of deep learning then it is worth looking into getting the adequate hardware.

Keep in mind that the GPUs in laptops are usually underclocked to prevent overheating.

2 Likes

Thank you Wesley for the information!

1 Like

If I were you, I’d get the cheapest laptop that’s manageable then get google colab with it and a fast internet.

So, a decent cheap laptop + google colab + google storage + fast internet would be enough. You get (AFAIK) K80 when using google colab with GPU enabled.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you senecamanu for your suggestion!

The laptop you mentioned does have good GPU, so it can be quite convinent to train the models offline. So if you have enough money to spare, are into gaming etc you should definately consider it.

However, I don’t know if you have started doing fast.ai, it is by no means necessary. You can get easily get much cheaper cloud based options( some are even completly free). In fact the course encourages to do so.

Even in production level, people tend to prefer cloud or building racks instead of high-speed computers.

So, in essence unless you have use of high speed GPU somewhere else, it is by no means necessary.

Regards

1 Like

Thank you Jayam Thaker!

1 Like

Best Laptops for Machine Learning and AI Programming
MSI P65 Creator-654 15.6″ .
Razer Blade 15.
Microsoft Surface Book 2 15″ .
ASUS VivoBook K571 Laptop.
Acer Predator Helios 300.best laptop