About the Part 1 (2020) category

We were planning to run a weekly in-person watch party and study group in Bengaluru, but due to Covid-19, we have now decided to do it online. I’m sharing our approach below, hoping others may find it useful.

Here’s what we’re doing:

• We’re announcing a recurring event on our Meetup & Slack groups, for each week’s virtual study group, and collecting signups (limiting it to ~100 people).
  • Every week, we plan to re-stream the lecture video over Zoom to the virtual study group (without revealing or sharing the video link)
  • We will collect the questions from the group, and post them to the official forum thread here after the lecture ends.
  • We will have another Zoom call over the weekend, where we’ll review & discuss the material from the lecture, give others an opportunity to showcase what they’re working on and share answers to the questions that were posted.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Everyone, since the course is about to start, I’ve “soft-released” (for the fastai family) my interview with Sylvain.

If you’re curious to know more about the course, the book and fastai2, check it out here: https://forums.fast.ai/t/ama-interview-with-sylvain-gugger-chai-time-data-science-podcast/62103/5?u=init_27

11 Likes

@jeremy Do we need a “share your work” post for this course like you have done in the past?

1 Like

Hi @aakashns. I’m a new user of Zoom. Could you tell me how to do that? (and if you know an online guide about Zoom, could you share the link? Many thanks)

2 Likes

Hello. I can see that some of you have already created a local study group and will use online tools like zoom, slack, telegram, etc.

On my side, I would like to use this forum but as Jeremy said, it will not be opened until the official release of course videos. Then, I plan to install a Discourse Forum somewhere as I think it is the best online working tool for a DL group (github of Discourse).

Some of you have an experience of that? Even better, if you know a Discourse Forum about DL where I could create threads for my local group, could you share the link please? Many thanks in advance!

1 Like

why not to create them here on the open part of fastai forums?

Yes but where? @jeremy, if you think that is possible, could you tell us where. If not, I would understand as the course is not officialy online.

I can’t see a way to do it here.

Do you think it will work well to stream video as a screen share via Zoom?

Hi @pierreguillou, Zoom is a pretty simple & intuitive video conferencing app. All you need to do is download the Desktop application, start a meeting and share the link with participants. It support screen share and live chat, so it’s quite well suited for study groups. Give it a a shot, and let me know if you face any issues during setup, I’d be happy to assist. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m hoping it should work out fine with a fast internet connection. I will share my experience here after the event (later today).

https://forums.fast.ai/t/bengaluru-india-watch-party-virtual-study-group/65327

@aakashns I’ll look forward to your update since I’d like to use a similar method for our study group to go virtual.

Hi @pierreguillou please let me know if you find a Discourse platform we could use for the TWiML Study Group

Hi @pierreguillou I streamed the live video to our TWiML Study Group over Zoom quite successfully. I monitored the Zoom chat for comments about sound and video quality and there were no problems or complaints. I recorded the meeting on the cloud, so that we can re-stream the video tomorrow night (Jeremy allows re-streaming within 1 or 2 days).

A Note on Sharing: Jeremy has said that we can share the livestream to our study group (but not give out the link to the livestream) , and we can restream to our study group a day or two after the livestream.

Here are some tips for streaming over Zoom:

• Under Settings: Recording you can set Zoom to record the video to your local machine
  • The paid version also has option to record to the Cloud
  • On Zoom Advanced Sharing Options, set "Who can share" to "Only Host"
  • Turn up the volume
  • Maximize your screen
  • Under the More... tab on the bar with the green Share button: check the boxes for share computer sound and optimize share for full screen videoclip
  • Make sure the navigation bar with the URL is hidden from viewers (else they could provide the link to unauthorized persons)
  • Monitor the chat for complaints about sound/video quality
  • If there are problems with the audio, try changing the options on the Settings:Audio menu: Suppress Persistent Background Noise, Suppress Intermittent Background Noise, Echo cancellation (these controls may be available only in paid version)
  • Controls that are available to you can be found in the Settings:Meetings tab
  • In the Settings: Recording tab, check that Local recording is selected, but if you are re-streaming Jeremy’s lesson to an audience that includes “uninvited” folks, be sure to uncheck the box Hosts can give participants the permission to record locally
2 Likes

Hi @Jess, we conducted the re-streaming session over Zoom yesterday, and it went perfectly. There were no major issues. We simply started a Zoom webinar (normal video call should also work), and played the YouTube video on full screen on the host laptop.

@aakashns That’s great news! I’ll use Zoom for the re-streaming then, too.

@jcatanza What’s the TWiML Study Group schedule? I saw the poll, but not the selected date/time. Maybe I missed it posted here… thanks for the Zoom tips, especially about hiding the URL and audio settings.

Hi @Jess the study group times are Sundays 8-930AM.

@jcatanza I must have misunderstood- I thought you streamed it to the study group already. But, you probably meant last night “in real time”.