About the Advanced (Part 1 v3) category

If your question or comment is not suitable for people who have not studied deep learning before, please use this category to ask it. Note that in order to avoid being overwhelmed by advanced questions if you are new to deep learning, you can use the “subcategory” drop-down to select “none” - meaning that no subcategories will appear.

10 Likes

Can someone comment on how the ImageDataBunch objects splits the dataset into train-val-test i.e implementation wise? what kind of validation is used?

val split is by default 20% random split of train. See source code below.

def from_lists(cls, path:PathOrStr, fnames:FilePathList, labels:Collection[str], valid_pct:int=0.2, test:str=None, **kwargs):
        classes = uniqueify(labels)
        train,valid = random_split(valid_pct, fnames, labels)
        datasets = [ImageClassificationDataset(*train, classes),
                    ImageClassificationDataset(*valid, classes)]
        if test: datasets.append(ImageClassificationDataset.from_single_folder(Path(path)/test, classes=classes))
        return cls.create(*datasets, path=path, **kwargs)
3 Likes

When calling get_transforms(), why is the xtra_tfms kwarg specified to be a float?
I would have thought it would be some kind of list of operations like [ contrast, crop_pad,…]
The documentation further down the page suggests this:

• xtra_tfms : a list of additional transforms you would like to be applied

…but that’s not a float. ?

2 Likes

Where do you see that? The code has:

xtra_tfms:Optional[Collection[Transform]]

Apparently the code was changed since I posted that question. Commit 32633d9 is where the change was made:

Thanks for your response! Question resolved.

Ah thanks for the explanation - I thought I was going crazy…

2 Likes

I am looking for example code, ideally fast.ai, where language models are used for neural language translations. From last years class I have a notebook using word embeddings, but I wonder if (think it should be possible?) and where to find code for language translation with a language model.

Maybe that is sth that comes up in lesson 7 or fast.ai part 2?

Thx for pointing me in the right direction !