A walk with fastai2 - Vision - Study Group and Online Lectures Megathread

I feel doing

learn = cnn_learner(dls, resnet34, pretrained=True, metrics=[partial(accuracy_multi, thresh=0.95)], loss_func=BCEWithLogitsLossFlat(thresh=0.95)).to_fp16()

is dangerous in the sense that the model feels incentivized to do very sure predictions to minimize the loss during the training. I would like it during prediction only

Yes, so predict, when it works, focuses on the loss_func's decodes and activation in order to determine what category it is. For example, if you had no metric whatsoever, predict would still work exactly the same, and this is the reason why. Metrics != inference, as a metric still needs a y to work, doesnā€™t it?

So when we define our loss (ourselves, not by fastai) as such (for exactly where see here:

loss_func = BCEWithLogitsLossFlat(thresh=0.5)

0.5 is the default. So weā€™d want to adjust this threshold to what we want to see. Also ideally youā€™d make this and the metricā€™s threshold to be exactly the same.

Why is this important? Remember that decodes and activation I brought up? When we do learn.predict, we take the raw output of our model, pass it through the activation of that function and then the decodes of that function as well. For BCE, they look like so:

def decodes(self, x):    return x>self.thresh
    def activation(self, x): return torch.sigmoid(x)

So we have our sigmoid activation followed by our threshold to scale on

Then adjust learn.loss_func.thresh to be what youā€™d like, thatā€™s all thatā€™s needed :slight_smile:

Also, to expand on that predict I brought up, activation is always called, decodes is called when with_decoded=True

This help clear up some confusion? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, thanks a lot! I am missing here one key part. When I look at the code of BCE (or the snipped you pasted) what are exactly the decodes and activations? I understand that we need a number between 0 and 1 (sigmoid takes care of this) and that we are only take it as valid if > thesh

but in the code I do not see how the 2 play together, it seems to me both return independently

I tried checking at the learn.predict?? code but I do not see how to access the gets_preds function inside it :neutral_face:

1 Like

So letā€™s walk through predict, specifically where it calls get_preds:

inp,preds,_,dec_preds = self.get_preds(dl=dl, with_input=True, with_decoded=True)

We see here we get back our input passed in, and with_decoded. This decoded is for the loss function only. decode_batch then decodes from our DataBlock.

For a different way to look at it, take my fastinference library Iā€™ve been building. I rebuilt the get_preds function to make it a bit more efficient, but for all intensive purposes it still acts and behaves the same way the framework does:

for batch in dl:
        with torch.no_grad():
            if decoded_loss or fully_decoded:
                out = x.model(*batch[:x.dls.n_inp])
                raw.append(out)
                dec_out.append(x.loss_func.decodes(out))
            else:
                raw.append(x.model(*batch[:x.dls.n_inp]))

This is how I get predictions (this is all hidden inside get_preds and the GatherPreds callback, so itā€™s hard to figure out. Presume itā€™s this with a bit more abstractness)

So we can see that if I want to decode my loss, I decode via the loss_func. At the end Iā€™ll go through and get a result similar to predict here:

if not raw_outs:
        try: outs.insert(0, x.loss_func.activation(tensor(raw)).numpy())
        except: outs.insert(0, dec_out)
    else:
        outs.insert(0, raw)
    if fully_decoded: outs = _fully_decode(x.dls, inps, outs, dec_out, is_multi)
    if decoded_loss: outs = _decode_loss(x.dls.vocab, dec_out, outs)
    return outs

(And Iā€™m going to do a video walkthrough of this whole thing this weekend too, that may help some.)

Thatā€™s a long explanation but does this help? To see _fully_decode and _decode_loss, see here, Iā€™m going to go through those in the video, just a lot to explain here :slight_smile: (but itā€™s good to keep in mind because the fastai framework operates in this same way!)

Also, my version has an option return a fully decoded output similar to learn.predict, thatā€™s why it will look different.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s fantastic!! Pitty I can only give it a single :heart: Are you having any more videos sessions? Any fastai related study group link. I was quite busy over the past month (job change) but I would like to get fully back to it!!

On another note, for the ones reading this thread. This is how I solved the problem.

learn = cnn_learner(dls, resnet34, pretrained=True, metrics=[partial(accuracy_multi, thresh=0.95)], loss_func=BCEWithLogitsLossFlat(thresh=0.5)).to_fp16()

learn.loss_func = BCEWithLogitsLossFlat(thresh=0.95)

learn.predict('real-ai.jpg')

So basically, I am using for the metric the threshold I will use during evaluation to have an idea of how the model would behave. However, during training I use the 0.5 threshold to not incentivate extreme predictions. Hope this makes sense! Learning myself still.

1 Like

Yes and no, theyā€™re unrelated to the course, and generally just YouTube uploads. I may make the next one live if people are interested, this weekend Iā€™ll be doing a video on my fastinference library (where all that was taken from), so if people are interested in that being live let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would be interested in both, really like your teaching style :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I just need to find a better way not to miss out on them!

Coming back to the question about how to add the test dataset in the test dataloaderā€¦ thatā€™s what I got so far. I tried several things but something is wrong

IIRC test_dl now is an is_labelled parameter. let me go see real quick :slight_smile:

Edit: @mgloria yes, it has an with_labels parameter now. Pass True:

test_dl = data.test_dl(fnames, with_labels=True)

What is data in your code? In my case I have a folder called test with subfolders cat and dog which I would like to ignore. I edited my code with with_labels=True but I still missing something.

path = Path('../Cat_Dog_data/test')
items = get_image_files(path)
dsets = Datasets(items, tfms=[[PILImage.create], [parent_label, MultiCategoryBlock]])
dls = dsets.dataloaders(after_item=item_tfms, after_batch=batch_tfms, bs=64, with_labels=True)

~/anaconda3/envs/pytorch_p36/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai2/data/transforms.py in __init__(self, vocab)
272     "Transform of one-hot encoded multi-category that decodes with `vocab`"
273     loss_func,order=BCEWithLogitsLossFlat(),1
--> 274     def __init__(self, vocab): self.vocab,self.c = vocab,len(vocab)
275     def encodes(self, o): return TensorMultiCategory(tensor(o).float())
276     def decodes(self, o): return MultiCategory (one_hot_decode(o, self.vocab))

TypeError: object of type 'NoneType' has no len()

Your issue is youā€™re including with_labels in .dataloaders. Itā€™s purely a dls.test_dl parameter. (Partially), let me see what else is going on

(Iā€™m also recreating this in the pets dataset since itā€™s the closest to what yoā€™re doing)

Edit: @mgloria use the Block methods on the DataBlock, and their interior on the Datasets. IE:

dsets = Datasets(items, tfms=[[PILImage.create], [parent_label, MultiCategorize()]])

Of course! that would be great. Your lectures gave me an in-depth understanding of what happens behind the screen.

2 Likes

Alright, letā€™s go all in then. Weā€™ll do my fastinference walkthrough on Sunday, time will be TBA but presume similar to how the time was for the course (I will announce a time in the next few minutes)

1 Like

How does this combine with ```
dsets = Datasets(items, tfms=[[PILImage.create], [parent_label, MultiCategorize()]])

It doesnā€™t :slight_smile:

So the process here is:

1. Datasets
  2. DataLoaders
  3. test_dl

So in code,

dls = dsets.dataloaders(after_item, after_batch, etc)

test_dl = dls.test_dl(fnames)

yes, it is the pets datasetā€¦ I thought about trying something easy but I cannot get the test part to work ā€¦ :weary:

!wget https://s3.amazonaws.com/content.udacity-data.com/nd089/Cat_Dog_data.zip

something is still missing but with this error message I find it very difficult to debug :pleading_face: where does the with_label goes?

1 Like

So, thereā€™s a few bits youā€™re missing :slight_smile: Our Blocks that we normally do add two super important transforms:

1. ToTensor
  2. IntToFloatTensor

These are very very important transforms and do just what they describe. Here is your full pipeline with that:

item_tfms = [Resize(460), ToTensor()]
batch_tfms = [IntToFloatTensor(), *aug_transforms(size=224), Normalize.from_stats(*imagenet_stats)]
dls = dset.dataloaders(after_item = item_tfms, after_batch=batch_tfms, bs=64

From here building the test_dl is:

test_dl = dls.test_dl(get_image_files(path), with_labels=True)

(Also sorry I left out the with_labels part originally there)

@mgloria @AjayStark here is the link to the stream:

It will be Sunday @ 2:00pm CST

3 Likes

@muellerzr Hi Zach, I have been following your videos and getting some very good info out of them! Thank you very much! In particular, I have been trying to follow the style transfer video and the reason is that Jeremy uses a similar approach in the Course V3 Lesson about No-GAN super-resolution using the same Feature preservation analogy you use in your video. I have an application where Iā€™m trying to use UNETs to remove some noise from CT data and that approach worked great for me. However, Iā€™m trying to follow what you did to do a FastAI v2 version of the same nb but Iā€™m not very experienced and Iā€™m getting lost in the details. I can see where all the basic blocks are but I canā€™t piece them together. Do you have any advice on how I can structure the FeatureLoss module to use on this application? Any advice is appreciated :slight_smile: