Untar_data not working: need to import from fastai

a question?
after doing untar_data()
the path which i am getting is:- PosixPath(’/home/abhishek/.fastai/data/oxford-iiit-pet’)
but i can’t find the data file there or this path
how can i know where my data is showing?

untar_data() started not working with error message “not defined” as the posts here mention. It used to work okay until a few days ago. I tried various things as mentioned above, but only unsuccessfully. I created a new clean virtual machine, installed clean new Anaconda, installed fastai, and tried untar_data to download imdb data to test. It does not work… same error, “not defined”. Any help will be appreciated…

I guess this is not an issue any more for others. But just in case there are anybody who struggles with this, I am sharing my experience here. My problem was with the version of fastai. When you pip install fastai, it installs fastai of version 2.0 (I think this is different from fastai2). With this version, I could not even import fastai. The problem was fixed after I pip install fastai==1.0.61.

if version == 2, you have to add

from fastai.vision.all import *

6 Likes

Hi All,

I have the same problem with the fastai 2.0.13 and conda 4.8.5. (Anaconda)
I have tried almost all variations of installation commands:

1. conda install -c fastai -c pytorch -c anaconda fastai gh anaconda

2. conda install pytorch torchvision -c pytorch
    then pip install fastai

3. conda install -c pytorch -c fastai fastai

but no luck. However, PyTorch works correctly.

Also, the visual studio code sees the fastai package when I import it. And also suggest importing fastai2 (what is the difference between fastai2 and fastai packages ?)

Does anybody know how to install fastai 2.0.13 correctly to the base environment?

1 Like

Thanks a lot. It works for me.

this works perfectly

Thank you, it worked for me too

Nothing Worked in my case except this

from fastai.vision.all import *
from fastai.collab import *
1 Like