Study Group in Toronto / GTA area

this is the kaggle contest i’m working on:

this is my current repo:

2 Likes

I’ve been working on this image segmentation problem using fastai
: https://www.kaggle.com/c/understanding_cloud_organization

2 Likes

This is the NeurIPS reproducibility challenge that I mentioned. https://medium.com/@NeurIPSConf/behind-the-program-for-reproducibility-at-neurips-2019-8a020e57bfd9

2 Likes

This is the sparse network paper I am planning to implement:

2 Likes

This is the paper I mentioned & trying to create a project out of:

3 Likes

Slack here https://join.slack.com/t/dalito/shared_invite/enQtNzg3MzM2NTA5NzM0LThmN2JhNDNlNGQ3MWU3NGM0NjI1YzU2MzI0OTk1N2QwZDhkYzQ4OTM0MTY3MmQzMWE0OWQ3MTY4NTU1MGQwOGI

2 Likes

My friend @daveluo’s tutorial on segmentation of satellite imagery/geospatial data https://medium.com/@anthropoco/how-to-segment-buildings-on-drone-imagery-with-fast-ai-cloud-native-geodata-tools-ae249612c321

3 Likes

super fun seeing you all today - thanks coming!

3 Likes

Josh, I just watched your super cool video about Alive!
Do you know of anything similar done to Python?

Unfortunately not, although Jupyter Notebooks are reasonably close. I can imagine a world in which someone extended them to support similar functionality (eg. sliders for for-loops, or drilling down into objects)

Actually now that I think of it, I’m surprised there’s no “Debug Drilldown” functionality in Jupyter Notebooks considering they have all the state information present. Something similar to this would be nice:

2 Likes

I think lots of the cool features are made with extensions and there might be one… What was the program in the screenshot?

That’s the debugger found in VSCode. In general it’s really nice to work with but it doesn’t handle fastai very well (it has problems with fork() but they’re working to fix this).

Hello Fast AI folks in Toronto. I’m looking to connect and perhaps study / work on projects together sometime. Anyone in town?

1 Like

Hello @pzyxian1,

I had a hard time finding a study group. So currently engaged with online study group (global) Part 1, online study group . It is project focused group. So if you want to work on projects, you can find a group of supportive folks in it (& may be partner with them). The current cadence is posted in the wiki & also a slack channel for any real time communication/discussion.

I’m in toronto - and would be happy to host a small study group ( i think small groups work better for me) - of like say 8 people. I think i know 3-4 already that would be interested.

maybe on either the weekend after jeremy does a video or maybe the following day? (looks like that would be a wednesday)

i’ve been working with the v2 version of fastai for a month or two now, so i could possibly help people that are new to it. So far i’ve worked with image, tabular and custom data (rna). I might also hold “office hours” at the same cafe above - maybe evending during lecture week - if there is any interest.

caveat - i will be out of town for my son’s spring break the first weekend - march 17

i live in midtown and will probably do it here here:

@shoof - might also have a lead on some space and may be running a group as well.

Thanks @313V I’m contacting a few places and so far we seem to be able to secure a big room with AV equipment during the week at College & Spadina, near UofT. We can take turns hosting different activities. Haven’t played with v2 at all but thanks to this invitation I have enough time to just get warmed up again!

1 Like

@pzyxian1are you guys in the part1 v4 course in March?

That sounds like a pretty sweet space - If you can get that location every week let’s just roll with that. I’ll commit to doing informal “office hours” at off times for anyone that’s stuck outside of the main meetup

Yeah I’m pretty sure I can get that space but so far it’s in the context of meetups. The question is are we going to just open it for students here in Toronto who are also part of this new course, or, get permissions from Jeremy and play the videos offline like I did 2 years ago, and organize study groups with people new to fastai? The latter requires me to post on meetup and a lot of people with various backgrounds and expectations will come.

@shoof - since it’s your space (or rather space that you have access to) - i’d say do what you think is best and is comfortable for the people that own the space - then just tell me when and where i’ll show up at the events to help