Structured Learner

I also have a data engineering question :slight_smile: :

Are there packages that might help or sample code in python to chop a log file into multiple parts by some pattern and apply a single procedure to extract data from all these parts in parallel?

You don’t need a package for that - just use ProcessPoolExecutor.map

@jeremy I tried the following for getting classification task but the code gave error

m = md.get_learner(emb_szs, n_cont = len(df.columns)-len(cat_vars),
                   emb_drop = 0.04, out_sz = 2, szs = [250,100], drops = [0.001,0.01], use_bn = True)
lr = 1e-3
m.fit(lr, 1, crit = F.cross_entropy) 

It threw following error. Not sure what should be the settings to get model working for classification

TypeError: fit() got multiple values for argument 'crit'

1 Like

Try changing the loss function to F.cross_entropy in ‘StructuredLearner’ class in column_data.py.

Or I think you can just move the crit= bit into the get_learner call.

1 Like

Thanks. I tried changing the following functions.

1 . Changed F.mse_loss to F.cross_entropy and it threw some error
2. I tried to change the API of get_learner to pass crit = F.cross_entropy and it also threw error that crit was invalid argument. I had made change in relevant functions.

Not sure what all the mistakes I am doing

@jeremy : Is there a sample python notebook for classification task for structured data. I tried to go through the functions but I didn’t get too far in terms of getting the code working for classification at my end for structured data.

No, I’ve not tried it. You’re in unchartered waters!

1 Like

Hi what is the intuition behind this embedding weight initialization:

def emb_init(x):
    x = x.weight.data
    sc = 2/(x.size(1)+1)
    x.uniform_(-sc,sc)

Thanks

I did the following, this is for binary classification only for multiclass F.cross entropy expects multi dimensional input and int target, so much more need to be changed for that:

class StructuredLearner(Learner):
    def __init__(self, data, models, **kwargs):
        super().__init__(data, models, **kwargs)
        if self.models.model.classify:
            self.crit = F.binary_cross_entropy
        else: self.crit = F.mse_loss

class MixedInputModel(nn.Module):
    def __init__(self, emb_szs, n_cont, emb_drop, out_sz, szs, drops, y_range=None, use_bn=False, classify=None):
        super().__init__() ## inherit from nn.Module parent class
        self.embs = nn.ModuleList([nn.Embedding(m, d) for m, d in emb_szs]) ## construct embeddings
        for emb in self.embs: emb_init(emb) ## initialize embedding weights
        n_emb = sum(e.embedding_dim for e in self.embs) ## get embedding dimension needed for 1st layer
        szs = [n_emb+n_cont] + szs ## add input layer to szs
        self.lins = nn.ModuleList([
            nn.Linear(szs[i], szs[i+1]) for i in range(len(szs)-1)]) ## create linear layers input, l1 -> l1, l2 ...
        self.bns = nn.ModuleList([
            nn.BatchNorm1d(sz) for sz in szs[1:]]) ## batchnormalization for hidden layers activations
        for o in self.lins: kaiming_normal(o.weight.data) ## init weights with kaiming normalization
        self.outp = nn.Linear(szs[-1], out_sz) ## create linear from last hidden layer to output
        kaiming_normal(self.outp.weight.data) ## do kaiming initialization

self.emb_drop = nn.Dropout(emb_drop) ## embedding dropout, will zero out weights of embeddings
        self.drops = nn.ModuleList([nn.Dropout(drop) for drop in drops]) ## fc layer dropout
        self.bn = nn.BatchNorm1d(n_cont) # bacthnorm for continous data
        self.use_bn,self.y_range = use_bn,y_range 
        self.classify = classify

def forward(self, x_cat, x_cont):
        x = [emb(x_cat[:, i]) for i, emb in enumerate(self.embs)] # takes necessary emb vectors 
        x = torch.cat(x, 1) ## concatenate along axis = 1 (columns - side by side) # this is our input from cats
        x = self.emb_drop(x) ## apply dropout to elements of embedding tensor
        x2 = self.bn(x_cont) ## apply batchnorm to continous variables
        x = torch.cat([x, x2], 1) ## concatenate cats and conts for final input
        for l, d, b in zip(self.lins, self.drops, self.bns):
            x = F.relu(l(x)) ## dotprod + non-linearity
            if self.use_bn: x = b(x) ## apply batchnorm activations
            x = d(x) ## apply dropout to activations
        x = self.outp(x) # we defined this externally just not to apply dropout to output
        if self.classify:
            x = F.sigmoid(x) # for classification
        else:
            x = F.sigmoid(x) ## scales the output between 0,1
            x = x*(self.y_range[1] - self.y_range[0]) ## scale output
            x = x + self.y_range[0] ## shift output
        return x

4 Likes

Thanks. I will make changes at my end and try them.

IIRC that’s Kaiming He Initialization, although now I look at it I think I’m missing a sqrt there…

Thanks for this code - trying to use this for a classification problem. How did you modify y, the dependent variable, for classification? I see binary_y, not sure what it does.

So, in this code binary_y is 0s and 1s

Hi,

When I am making validation predictions with learn.predict() every time I am getting different and odd results. While when I explicitly do the predictions still using learn.model I am getting the expected results. What is going on here :slight_smile:

Thanks

Sounds like you might be applying data augmentation to your validation set. You should only apply it to the training set.

I followed these steps then fit the model;

1 Like

You’re passing shuffle=True to your DataLoader :open_mouth:

3 Likes

ooops you are right thanks !

Hello! Thank you for this snippet.
I would like to implement it, and so I modified the column_data.py file.
But where can I find the EmbeddingModel* classes that you call in the Jupyter screenshot? I don’t find them in the fast.ai library…

Thank you

check sturctured.py and column_data.py. What better is that if you use PyCharm you can easily do this and search:

Class: Ctrl+N
File (directory): Ctrl+Shift+N
Symbol: Ctrl+Shift+Alt+N