Small tool to build image dataset: fastclass

If I find the time I will clean it up a bit more and enhance it. Maybe even put it on PyPI…

Hi Christian,
Thanks for building the fastclass tools. I got them working on my local machine (windows) using command line. For study, I am using the fastai recomended template (linux VM) on Azure. So I’m trying to work out how to use it there. Could you give any advice on steps? Can I do it all from the Jupiter Notebook or do I need to open a bash / or copy files from my local? Thanks for any help/direction.

thanks,
Dorian.

Hi Dorian,

I guess you would need to tunnel XWindows over ssh to redirect the TK App GUI to your local machine…
However, I have only used the tool locally.

Check out these instructions for instance:

Thanks Christian, I’ll check it out.

Regards
Dorian.

Hi all :wave:

Just a small heads-up for people using the fastclass tool (https://github.com/cwerner/fastclass): I upgraded it quite a bit (now on version 0.2 :partying_face: ).

The new versions features:

• fixed GOOGLE download option
  • new FLICKR download option
  • a much improved GUI for the image cleaner

Let me know if you have problems or suggestions…

Christian

1 Like

Hello Christian,

I’ve been playing around with fastclass on Google Colab, however, it’s giving me this error (screenshot attached below). I’ve looked at the guitar example multiple times/been writing the script in the same format and I’m not sure what I’ve done wrong. I was wondering if you could give me guidance on how I can solve this issue.

Hi

I’m currently on my mobile phone and cannot really check, but could you run this locally in some terminal? Maybe this is due to the collab env. Also, in your query file I think your exclude column is not quite right: I think you need to remove tofu from the string so the class has some unique name left after removal of the exclude term

Hello,

Thank you so much for your response! I tried changing the exclude term to “tofu” on Google Colab and tried the same on Terminal, but I am still getting the same error. I have attached a screenshot of the terminal error message below.
Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 8.39.01 AM

Best,
Anna

Hi again.

I’m not using colab so I’m not sure what is going on, but I am confused with the lines:

tofu aldi, tofu

Is this coming from fcd or are you typing this in?!? If this is coming from fcd directly I’d have to guess that this is a system call in the script that breaks in colab. Also, is there a reason you limit the number of images to return to just 2 (- m 2)?

Another idea: could you try use another search engine (i.e. Bing) and report if this resolves the issue?

Also: would you mind opening an issue here? Probably easier to track this issue: https://github.com/cwerner/fastclass/issues

EDIT: I just started colab and tried it with your example and things worked? I only used to search rows and (note that the exclude term on the second row should also be tofu…)