Recommendations on new 2 x RTX 3090 setup

I wager it will throttle down after 5 seconds at full steam.

But would Gigabyte put out a card knowing that would happen? :sweat_smile:

Consider that throttling already was hard to avoid for blower-style cards in the 250W range… :frowning:

2 Likes

I had contacted my local vendor for details on 3090 shipments, they’ve suggested that it won’t be possible to fit 2x MSI Gaming X Trios into a build and suggested to wait for a blower edition.

Now I’m even more confused :frowning:

Did they care to explain why it shouldn’t be possible? Did you provide the specifications relative to the target build (case, motherboard…)?

Thanks Andrea,
I re-asked for exact details:

The 3090 is (Gaming X Trio) is a 3-slot wide GPU, and is lengthy too, so:

• Finding a case where you could use 2 of these, you’d be forced to mount a CPU radiator, which again constricts the length of GPU
  • Two of these are really hard to fit into a case, give their thickness, Extender mounting is also tricky since there are only so many places where you can place this big GPU in a case…

I’m still hopeful, they’ve promised to run a few tests once they get the physical GPUs in hand

I don’t follow. Why should you be forced to mount a CPU radiator if you want to install two 3090?

Anyhow, there are plenty of options. Just use a motherboard with a sufficient number of slots, and a case that’s roomy enough.
Examples? Lian Li Dynamic XL, Phanteks Enthoo Pro line, Corsair Obsidian (750D, 900D, 1000D). Just to name a few.
Or a rackmount case. Some are specifically built for GPU servers.
If you tell me which processor you want to use, I can suggest an apt motherboard.

1 Like

Their suggestion was, it’d be better to mount an AIO cooler for the CPU given how much heat the case might be managing with two of these.

I see, I’m open to anything that would allow me to conveniently mount two of these.

Based on my homework, The Zenith II Extreme would be the best MOBO, this would also make me grab a 3960x.

However, I’m happy to use any that is a good pairing for the specs of system and that you’d recommend.

Thanks in advance!

I forgot about that all important GPU card length. My 1080tis come in at 267mm. The 3090 is reported to be 313mm. Almost 2 whole inches longer. It looks like my Corsair Air 540 has that 2" to spare. The corsair site shows a max length of 320mm so it will be tight!

1 Like

The MSI Gaming X Trio I’m aiming for is 323 x 140 x 56mm! :sweat_smile:

But the power connector is located in the middle of the card, so there won’t be problems.

A whole lot of that heat will be expelled out of the case if you buy the founder’s edition.

How do you plan to install 3-slot cards on that board? The layout won’t help you.

I bought a Supermicro X11SPA-T and a Xeon 6240 for my next build with the 3090s, but that’s a matter of preference and personal tastes (see my concerns about the TRX40 platform above).
For two 3090 with trx40 I’d go for the asrock creator or the gigabyte designare. At least they have a decent slot placement…

1 Like

As a margin note, I would add that the 20gb 3080 will still be a very capable 2-slot card, and supposing a price of 1000$ (or less) per card, one can buy three of them for the cost of two 3090s, enjoying 60gb vs. 48 for data parallelism.

Still, a couple of 3090s would allow the practitioner to experiment with model parallelism, since the 3080 lacks the NVLink. Model parallelism is quite an interesting thing to master.

1 Like

FYI, there will be limited availability of RTX 3090 at the launch date (source).

Since we built GeForce RTX 3090 for a unique group of users, like the TITAN RTX before it, we want to apologize upfront that this will be in limited supply on launch day. We know this is frustrating, and we’re working with our partners to increase the supply in the weeks to come.

Apart from scarcity, that would mean the 3090 will be the Titan of this generation, I think. Despite the rumor reported above (alleged titan ampere).

1 Like

Yes, but I’m not sure if they’ll even launch in India at this point or even made available…

I’m sorry, I only did paper calculations and this seemed to be the best bet.

I see, I’m okay with any platform tbh, but as I was looking into options, Intel was slightly more expensive than AMD in India for almost half the core-count, so AMD seems to be v tempting (Used markets are almost non-existent here).

Thank you, will checkout the Motherboards suggested by you.

I will go back to my homework cave and ask for your help again before making the purchase, once I have all pieces put together :slight_smile:

1 Like

well, i tried for an EVGA 3090 FTW3 card this morning. And like the 3080’s, the bots got them all. Guess I will wait for the 20GB 3080 and maybe save a few $$$.

1 Like

Same here (EU) with the FE… I’m really disappointed.

1 Like

Anyway, considerations about power draw:

1. Specviweperf: https://youtu.be/YjcxrfEVhc8?t=655

2. Furmark:

With two 3090, I think we are gonna need a 1600W single-rail power supply to rest assured it won’t break.

1 Like

i have the corsair ax1500i. I think i’ll be ok.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/axi-series-config/p/CP-9020057-NA