Platform: Google Cloud Platform (GCP)

@steef, I think you want to install fastai2 and not fastai, am I right? The command you are using will install fastai and not fastai2.

I recommend using pip like jeremy stated:
pip install fastai2

Here are all the steps in my post above:

Hope it’s useful, and that I have not left anything out. Do let me know, should you try it out.

2 Likes

Thanks! I deleted my instance and started over with a clear instance without --preemptiple which seems to work so far…

Yes! Actually your instructions above (earlier in this thread) are amazing; I followed those and everything is looking great so far :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

I am unable to open this link to access the notebooks:
http://localhost:8080/tree.
I can see the instance running from the console. And am able to access them through the terminal too. Not sure how to fix this.
When I try to connect using this command -
gcloud compute ssh --zone=“us-west1-b” jupyter@“my-fastai-instance” – -L 8080:localhost:8080,
it connects but with an message that says “could not request local forwarding”

Can someone please help?

I dug around a little to find what local forwarding is.

1. Landed here: https://manas.tungare.name/blog/ssh-port-forwarding-on-mac-os-x
  2. Used the ‘lsof -i -P’ command to find existing ‘jobs’ that had a ‘8080’ description (I really don’t know if any of this terminology is accurate).
  3. Used the 'kill -9 ’ to kill those jobs
  4. Reconnected using the 8080 port.
    And it works now.
    Sometimes, I feel like most of what I do is just hoping that something works out.

@jeremy FYI that N2D machines no longer support the west zone nor the p100 GPU. You might want to update your documentation. @rachel FYI too.

After reading some GCP docs I realized that N2D machines are in beta and they are no longer supported in the west zone + they no longer support the p100 GPU.

I got the following setup to work which has a little more memory than the recommended setup but has the same GPU as recommended.

export IMAGE_FAMILY="pytorch-latest-gpu" 
export ZONE="us-west1-b"
export INSTANCE_NAME="my-fastai-instance"
export INSTANCE_TYPE="n1-highmem-16" # It seems like the N2D machines are in beta and are no longer available in all zones + not working with p100 anymore.

gcloud compute instances create $INSTANCE_NAME \
        --zone=$ZONE \
        --image-family=$IMAGE_FAMILY \
        --image-project=deeplearning-platform-release \
        --maintenance-policy=TERMINATE \
        --accelerator="type=nvidia-tesla-p100,count=1" \
        --machine-type=$INSTANCE_TYPE \
        --boot-disk-size=200GB \
        --metadata="install-nvidia-driver=True" \
        #--preemptible # Don’t use preemptible as it gave me issues before; described in this thread too.
2 Likes

Hey, I recently moved to GCP from paperspace

I’m getting this error, though i opted for the passphrase, I have no clue what the problem is, I’m getting the key from the compute engine --> metadata --> SSH,
I have also tried getting it from the /Users/<sys_username>/.ssh/google_compute_engine.pub,
Need Help!

@steef I believe the OP wasn’t a wiki, I’ve fixed that. Could you please add these to the top post maybe under a new section?

You could also open a PR for the GCP setup instructions if you’d like.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Ooooh I see that @steef post already answered my question about which machine to use (-: so I deleted the original post. Just for curiosity, since I’m located in Europe, would it make more sense to use us-west1-b (the recommended zone for GCP) or an European one, e.g., europe-west4-b?

PS I can add these info to the OP wiki post, if @steef would rather not do that.

3 Likes

@init_27 I don’t want to steal @steef thunder :slight_smile: but just for my own understanding: this is the doc one should update with a PR, right?

and these are the PR instructions for this repo:

Note that I’m pointing to v3, because the v4 repository doesn’t include a docs folder atm.

3 Likes

I believe this is the one :+1:

1 Like

I edited the OP with the instructions by @gautam_e and @steef . Have a look and let me know what you think about it!

2 Likes

Thanks @AndreaPi & @init_27! Not stealing my thunder at all – just glad my findings were useful for others too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello all - wondering if anyone more proficient with GCP can help:

I’m getting an error saying that us-west1-b is out of resource and I can’t start my fastai instance. Error message suggests I try a different zone, but any other zones I try that offer an Nvidia Tesla K80 work - I just get another error because I created my instance on the us-west1-b zone.

Is anyone aware of a quick fix? Or do I just have to wait for resources to become available?

Starting instance(s) alex-fastai-instance...failed.  
ERROR: (gcloud.compute.instances.start) The zone 'projects/fastai-alex-2020/zones/us-west1-b' 
does not have enough resources available to fulfill the request.  Try a different zone, or try again later.

When I try a different zone I get this:

$ gcloud compute instances start alex-fastai-instance --zone=us-central1-c
ERROR: (gcloud.compute.instances.start) HTTPError 404: 
The resource 'projects/fastai-alex-2020/zones/us-central1-c/instances/alex-fastai-instance' was not found

Many thanks,

Alex

Did you create a preemptible imstance? With non-preemptible instances i had this Problem once but after a second try to start the instance it worked.

I created a non-preemptible instance (and preemptibility is still switched off) so hadn’t expected this. In my case I tried several times over about ten minutes and then spent some time going through Python for data analysis (Wes McKinney) which was definitely worth doing! It worked when I returned a couple of hours later.

Second “problem” I have with my GC account is that I’m actually being charged to use it. I had expected everything to be free on my trial so I’ll have to investigate that. Could be that I’ve used US located VM instance when I’m in Europe. I can’t remember the billing details well enough so it’s on the to-do list to solve at a later date…

I have been trying to access my VM instance for a past couple of days, I’m stuck on the same error after (1)waiting patiently, (2)creating a new instance with a snapshot of my previous instance but with a different region
The zone 'projects/fast-ai-jay/zones/us-west1-b' does not have enough resources available to fulfill the request. Try a different zone, or try again later.
I tried making a new instance again, but i got this error:
Create VM instance "my-fastai-instance-3" and its boot disk "my-fastai-instance-3" 1 hour ago: fast-ai-jay The zone 'projects/fast-ai-jay/zones/australia-southeast1-c' does not have enough resources available to fulfill the request. Try a different zone, or try again later.

Try creating a preemptible instance, this is what worked for me on us-west1-b. I had been on a non-preemptible instance for the duration of this course and during mid week of lesson 8 I started getting the same type of errors you have seen. After many tries, I went back to us-west1-b and decided to add on preemptible which worked! Since last Wednesday, I haven’t had any issues so far in regards to the resources error or being pre-empted.

1 Like

great, that worked for me !
Thanks @JorgeBriones

1 Like

Perhaps we should change the top post to reflect the commands for a preemptible instance, since that appears to be the solutions to the problems a lot of people are having? What do you the others think? Like this message if you are in favour of this suggestion.

2 Likes