Paper on Imbalanced classes

I have a page isn’t found error.

Edit: Perfect! Will have a look!

Edited the post with the correct link :grinning:

There was a recent article that I found very interesting related to this subject (Data Augmentation) : https://arxiv.org/abs/1904.12848

Yes, I found the imbalanced dataset sampler too. But I could not figure out where to use it in the current Fast.ai example code from the lessons. I am trying to use it for image classification - with the training images in folders. If you have any code snippet using this class with the Databunch examples that would be great!

Thanks in advance!

I tried using this class as a callback but ran into several issues. I could get things working by editing dataloader.py & sampler.py files in PyTorch. I added this class to dataloader.py & changed sampler.py to use imbalanced dataset sampler instead of random sampler. (You’ll also need to edit init.py)

Ok - great thanks for the tips. Will try it out and see how it works. What sort of imbalanced classes did you have - and how much did this help? I have heavily imbalanced classes - ratio of almost 30:1 and 50:1 in some cases.

I had an imbalance of approx 15:1:1 (3 classes). Without balanced sampling the classifier didn’t learn about the classes with less samples - so I felt it was required… I also spent some time trying out different data augmentations, which helped.

Could you share the changes you made to dataloader.py, sampler.py and init.py - that would be very helpful. I am trying to change the fast.ai library rather than PyTorch source code. I found that the old fastai library has a dataloader.py that can be changed to do this, but the new version doesn’t - and it is not clear which part of the code can be changed to incoporate this. I will post my changes once I can figure out and make it work,

sampler.py:

class ImbalancedDatasetSampler(Sampler):
    """Samples elements randomly from a given list of indices for imbalanced dataset
    Arguments:
        indices (list, optional): a list of indices
        num_samples (int, optional): number of samples to draw
    """

def __init__(self, dataset, indices=None, num_samples=None):

# if indices is not provided, 
        # all elements in the dataset will be considered
        self.indices = list(range(len(dataset))) \
            if indices is None else indices

# if num_samples is not provided, 
        # draw `len(indices)` samples in each iteration
        self.num_samples = len(self.indices) \
        if num_samples is None else num_samples

# distribution of classes in the dataset 
    label_to_count = {}
    for idx in self.indices:
        label = self._get_label(dataset, idx)
        if label in label_to_count:
            label_to_count[label] += 1
        else:
            label_to_count[label] = 1

# weight for each sample
    weights = [1.0 / label_to_count[self._get_label(dataset, idx)]
               for idx in self.indices]
    self.weights = torch.DoubleTensor(weights)

def _get_label(self, dataset, idx):
    dataset_type = type(dataset)
    if dataset_type is torchvision.datasets.MNIST:
        return dataset.train_labels[idx].item()
    elif dataset_type is torchvision.datasets.ImageFolder:
        return dataset.imgs[idx][1]
    else:
        raise NotImplementedError

def __iter__(self):
    return (self.indices[i] for i in torch.multinomial(
        self.weights, self.num_samples, replacement=True))

def __len__(self):
    return self.num_samples

dataloader.py (in DataLoader class):

from . import SequentialSampler, RandomSampler, BatchSampler, ImbalancedDatasetSampler

&

# sampler = RandomSampler(dataset)
sampler = ImbalancedDatasetSampler(dataset)

init.py

from .sampler import Sampler, SequentialSampler, RandomSampler, SubsetRandomSampler, WeightedRandomSampler, BatchSampler, ImbalancedDatasetSampler

Thanks for posting the code. Does it work with the current version of Fast.ai (1.0) and PyTorch (1.0)?

I tried it out but I am getting the following error from Sampler.py
Exception - NotImplementedError:

I debugged and found that the dataset type is
not torchvision.datasets.ImageFolder but is fastai.data_block.LabelList
when the following function is called, and hence it fails to return the label value

def _get_label(self, dataset, idx):
    if dataset_type is torchvision.datasets.MNIST:
        return dataset.train_labels[idx].item()
    elif dataset_type is torchvision.datasets.ImageFolder:
        return dataset.imgs[idx][1]
    else:
        raise NotImplementedError

Hi,

I don’t think I’ve updated to the current version of fastai… But its fastai 1.0 & PyTorch 1.0

You have to make changes to the dataloader class. Labels in fastai is stored in LabelList… you’ll have to do something like:

if dataset_type is fastai.data_block.LabelList:
   return dataset[idx][1].__int__()

Thanks - I had to import the fastai…labelList class to the module (else get a not defined error) and the error went away but the program seems to be stuck in a loop and the notebook is stuck with the hourglass . So will have to troubleshoot further - will update this thread once I can figure it out.

I also noticed that sampler.py already has a WeightedRandomSampler class, that seems to be similar to the ImbalancedDataClass. How does one change the sampling method when creating the Databunch or train dataset ? If I can figure that our I could try calling the weighted sampler. Or else, the other option is to just make copies of the extra classes - which is what @jeremy recommended doing in the lecture.

When creating DataBunch you should be able to pass on a variable called ‘sampler’. You could try adding into parameters: sampler=YourWeightedSampler(). From fastai source I understand it will be passed on to pytorch Dataloader.

2 Likes

Great - thanks for the tip. This is a much better approach - as you don’t have to change the PyTorch or Fastai source code (except import the ImbalanceDataClass),

However, the code at https://github.com/ufoym/imbalanced-dataset-sampler is not working with the current version of Fastai and Pytorch. Still trying to figure it out.

It would be great if handling imabalanced datasets could become a standard part of Fastai; as it is a very common problem specially for health and medical data.

Try creating directly pytorch weighted sampler:

Ok, thanks - will try it out.

Pretty good resource:

https://imbalanced-learn.readthedocs.io/en/stable/user_guide.html

Excellent resource - thank you! They do have batch generators for Keras and Tensorflow - not for Pytorch though.

Another nice practical example how to deal with class imbalance by Francois Chollet, the creator of Keras:
https://colab.research.google.com/drive/1xL2jSdY-MGlN60gGuSH_L30P7kxxwUfM

The most recent update of Fastai implements Oversampling to handle unbalanced classes as a Callback.

You can call it as follows:

from fastai.callbacks import *

cb = OverSamplingCallback(learn)
learn.fit_one_cycle(4,callbacks = cb)

( Make sure you have the most recent fastai version first)

3 Likes