Live coding 1

Uninstalling python from home directory.
I did uninstall python from home directory however when I type python3 it will connect me to default version of my Mac python (not in home directory, I check with where).
Do I need to find some link and disconnect it ? or I am good to go?
I think I am good to go. (not sure 100 percent and do not want to mess Mac version of python as Jeremy mentioned).

I am also will share my study note for Mac users (which probably won’t be much different).

Short summary of set up on Mac :
Uninstalling python , ipython , Conda ,…from home your directory. I had only Anaconda so I used their documentation :
https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/install/uninstall/
1- Run this to go to bash (from Zsh)
chsh -s /bin/bash
2- Decide to go easy way and use fastsetup instead of installing them one by one

3- I did not have wget so I install it
A-ruby -e “(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)" B-echo 'eval "(/opt/homebrew/bin/brew shellenv)”’ >> /Users/bahmansadeghi/.bash_profile
C-eval “$(/opt/homebrew/bin/brew shellenv)”
D-B-brew install wget
4- Now I can download fastsetup:
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/fastai/fastsetup/master/setup-conda.sh
5-bash setup-conda.sh (I did not need to change permission you may need to do that)
5A- check my python : which python
6- installing ipython :
mamba install ipython
6A - check my ipython :
ipython (you will see ipython environment , green stuff , haha)
7- install PyTorch :
mamba install pytorch torchvision torchaudio -c pytorch
7A- check my PyTorch :
go to ipython and type : import torch , then next line torch. you should see some torch command show up.
8- Install Jupyter lab
mamba install jupyterlab
9- make a directory for your notebooks :
mkdir nbs
10- Go inside directory :
cd nbs
11- Run Jupyter lab locally : (If you have issue and it run on your browser check the video,I did not confront the issue)
jupyter lab
12 - Important Note : That is all for installation. You may confront some problems check the video first then google. By no means this is substitute for video ,I personally listen to video first while I was walking in the morning, Then come back home and listen and did second Half of video again just to make sure I have install everything. I will listen and take note for my Anki first video again.Jeremy talk about lots of great shortcuts and concept in the video. I Just present here only installation on Mac and my process. For start you should not have any python, ipython or Jupyter in your home directory, you can see my terminal and how to check it in my above post.

2 Likes

Thank you to everyone who helped out with the forum and the video, I just followed the video and everything worked out great. I am on windows 10 and had no issues. If anyone has issues with an old version of wsl they need to uninstall just follow a guide like this one and it will save you a lot of time How to uninstall WSL2 on Windows 10 - Pureinfotech .

First, please don’t @mention Jeremy unless something is burning. He is obviously popular but would be swamped if everyone did that - and there are lots of other people who can assist.

I haven’t used MacOs for a long time, but reading here indicates you should ignore the “/home” directory on MacOs. MacOs stores user acccounts under the “/Users” folder, whereas Linux (& WSL) stores user accounts under the “/home” folder. The latter is traditional. Apple do it differently because… Apple.

So the following difference between platforms is expected and equivalent:
MacOs: /Users/my_name/mambaforge/bin/python
Linux: /home/my_name/mambaforge/bin/python

3 Likes

“Apple do it differently because… Apple”, you really meant it?

A little tongue-in-check, but MacOS and Linux do both have Posix heritage. MaxOS was derived from FreeBSD.

Windows is completely different. I’ve always found package management of open source more awkward on Windows than Linux. On Windows I much prefer to use Ubuntu in WSL for coding.

Do most data scientists still use Windows?

Don’t know. I’m not a data scientist.

1 Like

Many times, Jeremy mentions “Ctrl click”. I am on Windows 10 UBUNTO/Linux. There is a Ctrl button on the keyboard. Which one is the click button?

The left mouse/trackpad button.

2 Likes

THANK YOU for the let me know what is clicking.

A quick query:
Does wget command download as well as install an application or just downloads it? I did wget <some-link> and was wondering what it it did?
If it just downloaded it, how do I install?

wget will simply download any file from the specified URL. To install it you’d have to run the downloaded file but that part would vary depending on your OS and the type of file you downloaded.

For example, if you downloaded a script file, you would need to run it via the appropriate script handler. If you are on Linux/macOS and downloaded a file with a .sh extension, it probably is a bash script file which would need to be run via bash by running the script from the terminal by specifying bash <scriptname>.sh or by updating the executable status of the script.

But there may be other ways to do things depending on the type of file you downloaded :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thanks, this helped. I was trying to install a .deb file (Quarto’s). I did the following:

Step 1: wget <url>

• This downloaded the .deb file.

Step 2: sudo dpkg -i <downloaded .deb file>

• This installed that .deb file.
3 Likes

Hello, just installed wsl and ubuntu.
Is it ok to do this stuff in root ? (root@Razvan00:~#)
Also when i click Settings on Terminal it opens a notepad by Default.Dose anyone know how to change that?
btw what program do i need to open Settings the right way.

Depends what you mean by “ok”.
It should work fine, but its important to consider the Principle of Least Priviledge.

Could you clarify how you open Settings?
I don’t get notebook when I do the following…

I see
Will watch some tutorials on how to do that.
For ppl that have the same problem *this 6 min yt clip hepled * Linux Command Line Tutorial For Beginners 22 - useradd command (Creating Users) - YouTube

I clicked the arrow (thats marked with a red square on your screenshot) and the options appeared and after i clicked settings a notepad file opened.
I wanted to make a screenshot but the problem is gone.A windows update might have solved it :slight_smile:

Thanks for your answears! :grin:

1 Like

I wrote a blog from the video if anyone wants to read. I added something and skipped something from the video, so it is not exactly the same.

4 Likes

This looks good! I also wrote a post that’s slightly different. I referenced your post as well (hope that’s okay!).

2 Likes

Thank you! I don’t mind referencing my post at all, I’m actually thankful for it.

I like your post as well. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Hello everyone;
I have been following the video 1 (Live coding 1), and following all the steps, once the installation of Mamba is finished, I close and reopen my mac terminal and the computer does not seem to find the virtual environment. I don’t know exactly what I must be doing wrong. What I did remove versions of Python, Miniconda3 and Ipython from the system.
Any ideas please help me.
Regards

Hi @sdCarr,

I would think that is because mamba didn’t initialise, e.g. the PATH variable needs to be updated in order for the shell to find the executables. You can try doing echo $PATH, there should be something like: "~/mambaforge/bin"

If this is missing, you could try to run: mamba init which should update the .bashrc file and make sure that always when you open a terminal the PATH variable is updated.

the mambaforge folder is in the root directory, but when I run the command ‘echo $PATH’ there is no sign of the installation in the PATH directory. Attached is a screenshot: