Lesson 6 In-Class Discussion ✅

Nice,
I accidentally discovered this idea from here:

It is 9 months old !!

5 Likes

will there be an international setup like for part v3 part 1

11 Likes

If we are unable to attend part 2 in person, can we get the certification by participating in the live?

4 Likes

I personally tried this in one of the project and I can confirm translation augmentation works. (At least it worked in my client’s use-case) @cedric

5 Likes

I think only those attending in person get the certificate :frowning:

the heat-map on the cat’s face - does it indicate pixel intensities (as in this gray-scale image) or does it somehow indicate the most prominent features or something?

Please wait for Jeremy to go over it before asking questions :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I understand that … my concern is for those commuting to the class , the benefit of in person isn’t much greater that simply participating in the forums online since the in person class size is now so large.

5 Likes

Can someone confirm this reasoning of dropout vs L2 regularization

L2 regularization affects all the parameters in all the activations per epoch, whereas dropout affects some of the parameter per epoch. Which means if we are too aggressive with L2 we may need less epochs, but that may not be the case for dropout. For dropout to work we have to have a bigger epoch number for it to work.

Bottomline dropout can be more effective for longer epoch, whereas L2 can be more effective for shorter epochs.

I think you are referring to this Kaggle augmentation for text discussion?

2 Likes

Convolution in GIMP docs: https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/plug-in-convmatrix.html

1 Like

Have you able to use fastai on this one? I tried the Kaggle kernel but didn’t get it to work, plus they are using fastai 0.7

We will announce more details about part 2 later, but all the core aspects will remain the same: we will offer some form of remote access (as we have for all sessions since we began) and the certificates will only be available for the in-person course (since the certificates are through the Data Institute).

12 Likes

sorry, my 7 min went longer and I thought I missed it

I would say that the knowledge and practical skills are, in general, more important than a certification =) The most benefit of being on the place is to have a chance to interact with other learners in person, I think.

3 Likes

I found out you can actually ignore those tables and move on (you’d need to ignore some code pieces relying on those tables) you’d still get a cleaned file that works with the lesson’s notebook

what is making during conv some portions bright and some dark…

A certification helps when you’re job hunting! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was able to use the lesson 3 notebook with the dataset. Be aware though that the competition rules don’t allow pretrained models (they only allow certain word vectors), so you can’t use the wikitext 103 model/ULMFIT to train a classifier.

6 Likes

No more than a good portfolio of projects, I believe :smiley:

7 Likes