Lesson 5 In-Class Discussion

I suspect he’ll cover that in the ML class; replacing a “traditional” ML model with a deep learning model shouldn’t change the ensembling step.

1 Like

See the forums where there are a couple of pointers to articles about this.

No fastai. I feel handicapped! :frowning:

3 Likes

Sounds great! Thanks @yinterian

Some of the predictions are exceeding five, would this model perform better if the values were capped at zero and five?

8 Likes

How did you decide on the dimension of that matrix? Why 5 rows and not x?

3 Likes

Are those numbers embeddings?
The random numbers

4 Likes

Guess, that’s like features!

embedding for movies and users

1 Like

What are the differences between features and embeddings? Different words same thing?

embeddings are learned

5 Likes

Those features which aren’t explicit! But we want NN to find them for us?

1 Like

features need not necessarily be embeddings. feature could be as simple as ‘is the date a state holiday?’. Embeddings are representations of these features. I think they are the answer to the question : “How can we represent BladeRunner2049 numerically?”

5 Likes

Responding to the question “do you retrain for a new user or new movie?”

At this year’s Grace Hopper many companies mentioned that they approached that problem with the way Jeremy said, i.e., you’d have a specific new user model or new movie model, then retrain over time.

The “what are you interested in?” during onboarding (like meetup.com’s) is a popular approach, but IMO not very friendly if your user is not of your core user group for example.

9 Likes

What does it mean to try different n_factor sizes? Do you train and evaluate using MSE and compare with different embedding sizes given a number of epochs?

Yep, it’s a hyperparameter … so AFAIK no one has worked out a way of automatically picking the best number.

2 Likes

Correct!

1 Like

thanks!

“…wait, what?..”

It’s so comforting that happens to you too @jeremy!

1 Like

Any resource that helps explain a hyperparameter? Thanks in advance