Lesson 4 In-Class Discussion ✅

Hello Jeremy ^^ so you said your vim rc is almost bare in this lesson but would you mind sharing your vim setup via Github anyways? For vim beginners, that might be a good starting point or good enough !

@lesscomfortable
I’m building a model on the belgian traffic light dataset but when I do recorder.plot(), all I get is an empty plot. I reduced the batch size to 32 but the plot is still empty. Any clues?

His vim config file was shared by Rachel in this thread during the lesson, you should be able to find it.

1 Like

@PierreO oh OK, thanks !

Is there currently a way to do regression tasks on tabular data? I was able to create a bunch on Tuesday before the library got updated, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to do regression with the datablock api.

1 Like

It was possible for me to create a databunch for regression problems up until Wednesday by setting c = 1. I assume fastai was updated on Wedesday? Because that method doesn’t work anymore, and the docs seems to be different as well. Does this mean we can’t do any regression with fastai at the moment?

My post on the issue for reference

It is entirely possible and will be covered in next class. See my answer here.

2 Likes

Fantastic! Thanks a lot!

I tried it out, but I’m getting an error that tells me FloatList doesn’t exist

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
NameError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-62-f7b4e1430f64> in <module>()
      3 data = (TabularList.from_df(concat_clean, path=path, cat_names=cat_vars, cont_names=cont_vars, procs=tfms)
      4                    .split_by_idx(val_idx)
----> 5                    .label_from_df(cols=dep_var, label_cls=FloatList)
      6                    .databunch(bs = bs))

NameError: name 'FloatList' is not defined

That means you don’t have the latest version of fastai (possibly you need the dev version).

On GCP, I think one needs to use K80 GPU. Doesn’t run on P4.
So 11 GB looks to be minimum GPU RAM needed to run the language model.

It’s usually the case where the pot of words in scope is everything that appears more than once. But then in NLP you’ll limit the size of your dictionary. I think he said it was 60k limit in this case. So effectively that’s the top 60k of your original selection. How it works will depend a lot on the size of your corpus. To be honest, I’m surprised he went with 2 words. There’s not a lot you can learn about something that only appears twice.

Try this

I’m getting this error while running learning rate finder

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ValueError                                Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-21-d81c6bd29d71> in <module>
----> 1 learn.lr_find()

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai/train.py in lr_find(learn, start_lr, end_lr, num_it, stop_div, **kwargs)
     26     cb = LRFinder(learn, start_lr, end_lr, num_it, stop_div)
     27     a = int(np.ceil(num_it/len(learn.data.train_dl)))
---> 28     learn.fit(a, start_lr, callbacks=[cb], **kwargs)
     30 def to_fp16(learn:Learner, loss_scale:float=512., flat_master:bool=False)->Learner:

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py in fit(self, epochs, lr, wd, callbacks)
    160         callbacks = [cb(self) for cb in self.callback_fns] + listify(callbacks)
    161         fit(epochs, self.model, self.loss_func, opt=self.opt, data=self.data, metrics=self.metrics,
--> 162             callbacks=self.callbacks+callbacks)
    164     def create_opt(self, lr:Floats, wd:Floats=0.)->None:

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py in fit(epochs, model, loss_func, opt, data, callbacks, metrics)
     92     except Exception as e:
     93         exception = e
---> 94         raise e
     95     finally: cb_handler.on_train_end(exception)

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py in fit(epochs, model, loss_func, opt, data, callbacks, metrics)
     82             for xb,yb in progress_bar(data.train_dl, parent=pbar):
     83                 xb, yb = cb_handler.on_batch_begin(xb, yb)
---> 84                 loss = loss_batch(model, xb, yb, loss_func, opt, cb_handler)
     85                 if cb_handler.on_batch_end(loss): break

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py in loss_batch(model, xb, yb, loss_func, opt, cb_handler)
     21     if not loss_func: return to_detach(out), yb[0].detach()
---> 22     loss = loss_func(out, *yb)
     24     if opt is not None:

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/functional.py in cross_entropy(input, target, weight, size_average, ignore_index, reduce, reduction)
   1665     if size_average is not None or reduce is not None:
   1666         reduction = _Reduction.legacy_get_string(size_average, reduce)
-> 1667     return nll_loss(log_softmax(input, 1), target, weight, None, ignore_index, None, reduction)

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/torch/nn/functional.py in nll_loss(input, target, weight, size_average, ignore_index, reduce, reduction)
   1520     if input.size(0) != target.size(0):
   1521         raise ValueError('Expected input batch_size ({}) to match target batch_size ({}).'
-> 1522                          .format(input.size(0), target.size(0)))
   1523     if dim == 2:
   1524         return torch._C._nn.nll_loss(input, target, weight, _Reduction.get_enum(reduction), ignore_index)

ValueError: Expected input batch_size (10080) to match target batch_size (32).

Broadly, the answer is Yes.

Yes. Correct. Great recent Twitter Blog post on this - https://blog.twitter.com/engineering/en_us/topics/insights/2018/embeddingsattwitter.html

1 Like

You could try averaging the same.

Timestamp categorical variable converted to its entity embeddings would help. add_datepart function in FastAI gives you rich additional columns for the same. As regards the movie genres and other meta data, in general, the more data the better would be the model predictions. Also, entity embeddings can be applied to these too.

1 Like

I am working on an ad click prediction dataset. How to get started and is there any reference material that I can follow.

Just a heads-up: looks like the edited video Jeremy just posted doesn’t work - I get errors in both Chrome and Firefox.

Oops sorry that’s in Lesson 3!

I am trying to build a classifier for the SQL queries in our database, based on query text and runtime. I am hoping I can leverage the transfer learning technique, where I build a learner and re-train it for different environments. However, one question I have is that query runtime is not fixed forever, because DBAs can tune their queries and thus the runtime changes. I am wondering if that happens, what can I do to the learner I have built, using the old runtime data? Does that mean I need to retrain the entire learner? Is there a way to “refresh” it such that only the “outdated” data is removed?