Keras 2 Released

I created a Github repo with my Keras 2/Python 3 notebooks:

It is almost complete, the only missing pieces being statefarm-sample.ipynb and state_farm.ipynb, but I hope to work on those notebooks soon (by the way, my code in the repo is still using “ceil”).
Any corrections/suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated, as I am definitely in the learning phase.
16 Likes

If you’re using Python 2, you really should import print_function and division from __future__ at the beginning of every script and notebook. This will give you Python 3 like behavior for both.

Using the right print syntax and true division will make your eventual transition easier. Not to mention that you might sometimes forget that 2 / 3 == 1 (or assume it will when your variable is actually a float) and create annoying bugs.

You can always use floor division in either version of Python with “//”.

Thank you for you input. I have just updated a number of notebooks where the “from future” statement was not yet positioned at the beginning. Print syntax and true division should already be fine (I hope!). Just to avoid misunderstanding, my goal is not trying to keep compatibility between Python 2 and Python 3, but only to create a working Python 3 version of the code.
Any thoughts regarding “best practice” approaches when the number of samples is not a multiple of the batch size?

With Keras 2, I think that it keeps track of the number of samples that still need to be processed. If the number of samples is not a multiple of the batch size, just do one more batch to use the remaining samples (hence the use of the ceil() function).

The / in Python 2 is also floor integer division. Sure there are examples when you might want to round up instead, but that is not covered by Python 2 either.

Thank you all for your comments. I have just added to my Github repo the missing statefarm-sample.ipynb and state_farm.ipynb notebooks, so now it should be complete.

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

You are welcome!

Here is a good explanation on how you should change it in vgg16.py: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43457862/whats-the-difference-between-samples-per-epoch-and-steps-per-epoch-in-fit-g

Great thanks to @eljas and others in the focum, I’ve put together this note, mainly for my own benefit but hopefully will be handy for others here:

Notes on Python 2.x / Keras 1.x to Python 3.x / Keras 2.x transition

Some notes on moving from Python 2.x & Keras 1.x -> to Python 3.x & Keras 2.x. (Note Keras currently supports Python 2.7 to 3.5 only. i.e. Python 3.6 will not work on Keras - yet).

Change accordingly in vgg16.py and utils.py.

Keras 1.x -> Keras 2.x

Keras 1.x:

#1 from keras.layers.convolutional import Convolution2D
#2 from keras.regularizers import l2, activity_l2, l1, activity_l1
#3 from keras.utils.layer_utils import layer_from_config
#4 from keras import backend
#5 Convolution2D
#6 batches.nb_sample
#7 batches.nb_class
#8 model.add(Convolution2D(filters, 3, 3, activation="relu"))
#9 fit_generator(batches, samples_per_epoch=batches.nb_sample, nb_epoch=nb_epoch, validation_data=val_batches, nb_val_samples=val_batches.nb_sample)
#10 nb_epoch
#11 self.model.predict_generator(test_batches, test_batches.nb_sample)

Keras 2.x:

#1 from keras.layers.convolutional import Conv2D
#2 from keras.regularizers import l2, l1
#3 from keras.layers import deserialize as layer_from_config
#4 from keras import backend; backend.set_image_dim_ordering('th')
#5 Conv2D
#6 batches.samples
#7 batches.num_class
#8 model.add(Conv2D(filters, (3, 3), activation="relu"))
#9 fit_generator(batches, steps_per_epoch=batches.samples//batches.batch_size, epochs=nb_epoch, validation_steps=val_batches.samples//val_batches.batch_size)
#10 epochs
#11 self.model.predict_generator(test_batches, test_batches.samples//test_batches.batch_size)

Note:

• #8 goes from: “3, 3” … to “(3, 3)”… i.e. with the brackets.
  • #9 in Keras 1, the progress bar shows total number of training samples processed. In Keras 2, the progress bar shows total number of batches processed (steps_per_epoch). Recall that total batches = total samples // batch size. (I floor it to ensure integer value).
  • #11 in Keras 1, regarding model.predict_generator(), 2nd argument corresponds to number of total samples. In Keras 2, that 2nd argument becomes total number of batches. Recall that total batches = total samples // batch size. (I floor it to ensure integer value).

Note: it looks like Keras 1 talks in “number of samples”. Keras 2 prefers “number of batches”. Beware.

Python 2.x -> Python 3.x

Python 2.x:

#1 import cPickle as pickle
#2 reload()

Python 3.x:

#1 import _pickle as pickle
#2 from importlib import reload; reload()

References:

8 Likes

In case any one wants keras 1.1 docs they can be found here https://faroit.github.io/keras-docs/1.1.1/

So I am trying to create a file for submission for Cats & Dogs redux. My test directory has 12499 images. I modified the test function slightly to comply with keras 2.0 as follows

def test(self, path, batch_size=8):

test_batches = self.get_batches(path, shuffle=False, batch_size=batch_size, class_mode=None)
        test_batches.nb_sample = test_batches.samples             #RC added to comply with Keras 2.x API
        return test_batches, self.model.predict_generator(test_batches, test_batches.samples//test_batches.batch_size)

As shown in the screenshot below, the length of the np array is 12480 (multiple of the number of batches and batch size), however I need 12499 predictions. Wondering if I make the batch size = 1 and what would be the performance hit in that case.

Friends,

I am facing the following error while running the code mentioned above. Could you please assist me on this?

ValueError: When using a generator for validation data, you must specify a value for validation_steps.

1 Like

Hi eljas,you mean change vgg16.py, where can I insert this code lines to it?
Thank you!

Hi guys , I am trying to do the similar exercise of converting the program into Keras 2 . Thanks @Robi for the great repo .

I thought i can start with Keras 2 application model of Vgg16 and I compared it with the implementation of Vgg16 in the repo .

I found the later has additionally Zero padding to every convolutional layers and Drop out layers to the Linear layers . Any particular reason the implementation has a change .

Also I am still in Lesson 1 so If it will explained later then I will wait for the same. Thanks

I just updated my repo which now includes also the “Python 3.5 - Keras 2” adaptation for Part 2 of the course. I hope someone will find it useful!
Thanks in advance to everybody who will have a chance to provide any comments, suggestions or corrections.
For any questions or issues related to the repo I suggest to directly visit its issues section.
https://github.com/roebius/deeplearning_keras2

Hi Robi,

Thanks for sharing the python3/keras2 version of the notebooks. I tried executing lesson1 and am getting the following error when Vgg class is instantiated:

~\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda3\envs\dlwin36\lib\site-packages\tensorflow\python\framework\common_shapes.py in _call_cpp_shape_fn_impl(op, input_tensors_needed, input_tensors_as_shapes_needed, debug_python_shape_fn, require_shape_fn)
674 missing_shape_fn = True
675 else:
–> 676 raise ValueError(err.message)
678 if missing_shape_fn:

ValueError: Negative dimension size caused by subtracting 2 from 1 for ‘max_pooling2d_2/MaxPool’ (op: ‘MaxPool’) with input shapes: [?,1,112,128].

Any idea why?

It looks like your Keras is set to use TensorFlow instead of Theano (part 1 notebooks use Theano).
One thing to check is the keras.json file in your .keras directory. There is a template of this file for Theano in my repo.
Let me know if this helps!

P.S. I updated the template yesterday

oh never mind. I was using tensorflow as backend. After fixing the keras config file this worked fine.

Yup that’s what I did . Thansk a lot!