Issue with learn.export()

Having this issue with my model when I run

learn.export()

Can't pickle local object 'Learner.get_preds.<locals>.<lambda>'

AttributeError                            Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-108-fa5b61306ef3> in <module>
----> 1 learn.export()

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai2/learner.py in export(self, fname, pickle_protocol)
    503         #To avoid the warning that come from PyTorch about model not being checked
    504         warnings.simplefilter("ignore")
--> 505         torch.save(self, self.path/fname, pickle_protocol=pickle_protocol)
    506     self.create_opt()
    507     if state is not None: self.opt.load_state_dict(state)

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/serialization.py in save(obj, f, pickle_module, pickle_protocol, _use_new_zipfile_serialization)
    327     with _open_file_like(f, 'wb') as opened_file:
--> 328         _legacy_save(obj, opened_file, pickle_module, pickle_protocol)

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/serialization.py in _legacy_save(obj, f, pickle_module, pickle_protocol)
    399     pickler = pickle_module.Pickler(f, protocol=pickle_protocol)
    400     pickler.persistent_id = persistent_id
--> 401     pickler.dump(obj)
    403     serialized_storage_keys = sorted(serialized_storages.keys())

AttributeError: Can't pickle local object 'Learner.get_preds.<locals>.<lambda>'
1 Like

As said many times before, we need to know how to reproduce it. How did you generate your data, learner. etc…

1 Like

In this case the learner is this

I used the resnet101 this time.

But I am having the same issue also with the resnet18

This is the Datablock

Now that I restarted the notebook it works. :sweat_smile:

You cannot pickle lambda functions.

Use the normal function syntax: def func(....):

2 Likes

Thanks @lgvaz ut I don’t see any lambda functions in my notebook. With clear output solved the issue, probably I ran some labda function in the past.

Same issue for me as well and is not getting resolved after restarting.
I just re-ran the lesson2 notebook with my keys. Could you please help me resolve this issue.

1 Like

did you try that one?

1 Like

yes i did restart and clear output.

1 Like

post here your entire code so we can help you better and try to reproduce on our end

Well its the 02_production-personal.ipynb notebook code. except i just added my keys.
here is the public link to the notebook
https://www.paperspace.com/teajcojhg/notebook/pr3a0489d

1 Like

I was trying to export also the model from the petbreeds and I got a similar issue

AttributeError                            Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-19-fa5b61306ef3> in <module>
----> 1 learn.export()

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai2/learner.py in export(self, fname, pickle_protocol)
    503         #To avoid the warning that come from PyTorch about model not being checked
    504         warnings.simplefilter("ignore")
--> 505         torch.save(self, self.path/fname, pickle_protocol=pickle_protocol)
    506     self.create_opt()
    507     if state is not None: self.opt.load_state_dict(state)

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/serialization.py in save(obj, f, pickle_module, pickle_protocol, _use_new_zipfile_serialization)
    327     with _open_file_like(f, 'wb') as opened_file:
--> 328         _legacy_save(obj, opened_file, pickle_module, pickle_protocol)

/opt/conda/envs/fastai/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/serialization.py in _legacy_save(obj, f, pickle_module, pickle_protocol)
    399     pickler = pickle_module.Pickler(f, protocol=pickle_protocol)
    400     pickler.persistent_id = persistent_id
--> 401     pickler.dump(obj)
    403     serialized_storage_keys = sorted(serialized_storages.keys())

AttributeError: Can't pickle local object 'Learner.get_preds.<locals>.<lambda>'

I am not using lambda but it seems that Learner.get_preds is using it.

[ EDIT - 05/12/2020 ] I cc @sgugger because I did not receive an answer about my question on the increasing size of the pkl file when the size batch is larger. However, I think that it is a significant problem,

Hello. I am using this thread for another issue regarding learn.export() (at least, one question I have).

The size of the pkl file created by learn.export() depends on the batch size (at least in my test, it depends on large batch size).

I do not understand why. Any idea?

My notebook is online in github and the following table shows my results (sizes of pkl files by batch size from 8 to 512). The smallest pkl file (bs from 8 to 128) has a size of 52M and the biggest (bs of 512) of 272M.

1 Like

It’s probably because the .xb .yb and .pred that contain the last batch (inputs, target, predictions) are saved with the Learner. I’m dealing with the edits on the book rn so I don’t have time to investigate more though.

3 Likes

Thank you Sylvain for your answer.
In order not to forget it, I opened an issue in the fastai v2 github.

1 Like

Hello Sylvain.

In my ubuntu installation of fastai2, I ran git pull to get the updated files you changed and I got them.

After I ran again my notebook about batch size vs learn.export() pkl file and there was no change:

• bs = 512 | export.pkl = 285 MB
  • bs = 8 | export.pkl = 54.2 MB

Can you re-opened this issue?

1 Like