Introduce yourself here

Adding my twitter handle @micbucci although I rarely tweet

Hey everyone!

My name is Christoph and I am a medical doctor from Germany and have been using fastai since the very beginning.
Thanks a lot for the invitation to be part of this great project and getting the opportunity to watch the course as one of the first. Really appreciate that!

Currently I am working half time at the Institute for Neuropathology at the University Hospital in Erlangen (https://www.neuropathologie.uk-erlangen.de/) and the rest of the time I study Computer Science (Informatics) at the University of Erlangen.
In our study group we focus on digital pathology and use fastai and keras for analyzing whole slide images and epigenetic data of different pathologies of central nervous tissue.
Currently I am also in the process of getting my PhD. The subject is about classifying entities only from H&E staining and predicting relapse probability and time of adenomas of the pituitary gland.

Our github repo is available here: https://github.com/FAU-DLM (most of our work is private though)
Our website: https://www.dlm.med.fau.de/
My twitter account: https://twitter.com/ChristophNeune2 (I am not really active here)

I am really looking forward to the next course and cannot wait to read the book and work together with you on exciting topics :wink:

10 Likes

Hey @MicPie, awesome stuff. I’d be interested in the meetups :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the great reply! I’ll probably be starting an internship on that very subject, so I might reach out to you for more in depth discussions once I know a bit more about it, if that’s all right with you!
I’ll check out those resources, thanks a lot!

If you wanna dual boot, be sure to install Windows first

1 Like

for your twitter we would need to know your twitter handle :slight_smile: thanks!
so if you are logged in on twitter click on your profile and then you can copy and paste url :wink:

Oh yeah I did not proofread my text.
Thanks for notifying me :wink:
I changed it.

1 Like

Hi, I’m Laura and I’m currently a mathematics lecturer, hoping to transition into a data science role in industry this year. I worked through Part 1 this past fall, but felt like most of it went over my head, so I’m eager to revise with the new version. I’m particularly excited to read that perhaps the content from the ML course will make an appearance!

For my contribution to the community, I think I’m going to set a goal of asking all the stupid questions. I always tell my students to ask any questions they think of, because if one person is confused, there’s a good chance someone else is, too. So I’m going to take one for the team, and just ask. Fortunately, the fast.ai community is friendly and helpful!

I blogged about my experiences with Lessons 1-6 of Part 1 of the 2018 version, and those can be found here, for anyone looking for a preview of a newbie’s experience with the course.

11 Likes

Hi everyone! I started with fast.ai in 2017. I’m still very much a novice, but I love the fast.ai teaching philosophy, and I’m trying to spread the knowledge among the high school students I work with each day. I am an assistant principal at a STEM school near Savannah, GA. I have competed in a few Kaggle competitions, with two top 10%-finishes. I am currently recruiting students to join me in the upcoming NCAA tournament challenge.

7 Likes

That would be the most amazingly helpful thing I can think of.

Also, if you see answers to questions that are more complex than they need be, clarifications or clarifying questions are very helpful.

7 Likes

Hi, my name is Pavel, I’m from Moscow (Russia). I am a gamedesigner.
I’ve been following fastai course since it’s first version. One of russian tech influencers tweeted about fastai’s awesome learning technique and, damn, he was right :slight_smile:
Since the first inception I can’t recommend enough your course to everyone who asks me about ML/NN (and sometimes I do it even if they don’t ask :slight_smile: ) as your way of teaching (from the practical results to core theory) is muuuch more efficient in terms of motivation, at least for me personally.

As I said I am a gamedesingner and I’m looking forward to find a way to use fastai in my profession (after all this summer of AI wouldn’t be so shiny without game industry and it’s cheap graphic cards :wink: ). Not much so far :frowning: and I’ve ended up with tabular data analysis with NN (as we have no deficit of tables in games).
As Jeremy suggested in Introduction to Machine Learning course I’ve made an implementation of Feature Importance and Partial Dependence with fastai library (version 0.7 I think). And then I’ve used it to have fun in trying to analyse (european) Football transfers. And as it appear fastai is not only capable of predicting players’ transfer value as good as people (including professionals from transfermarkt.de), but it also can help to catch some interesting insights about this market.

I am looking forward to start a new course and learn how the library and fastai techniques evolved through these 1.5 years.

And Jeremy (or maybe someone from the previous private groups can tell) I have a question. In the initial post you’ve mention that it will be a live stream. Would it be possible to watch it some hours (days) later as time difference will hardly let be watch it online?
Github

9 Likes

I’ll add that your tabular resources I constantly go back and check anything I do (feature importance, etc) , and I’m still learning from those notebooks!!!

You should be able to if it’s a YouTube live stream, I’ve noticed mine go live the second after the stream is done

4 Likes

Hi Everyone!

My name is Ramon Hollands from the Netherlands. Freelance software developer and really excited about fast.ai and being part of this community! I got on the fast.ai train in 2018 and am loving the ride ever since. After watching the lessons over and over and struggling to understand, I finally started implementing some models in production. To understand things more deeply I’ve started to implement the arcface paper from scratch.

Looking forward to more deeplearning fun!

4 Likes

Hello all,

My name is Aaron. I’m responsible for Digital Transformation at my company and I am an evangelist for deep learning adoption in the company. I’ve taken Part 1 twice and I’m looking forward to some new and old content in the next session.

Twitter: @ab_was_taken

2 Likes

Hello everyone, I’m Andrii!

I’m from Ukraine, working as a tech lead in one of the local outsourcing companies.
My main focus is Computer Vision but I’d like to further learn about other fields too.
I did a couple of interesting projects, one of which was action recognition using 3D CNN so feel free to contact me regarding this or similar topics.

Anyways, right now I’m getting into academia and hope that fastai will help me with my own research and will push my inspiration further. Also, depending on the time available, I’ll try to translate fastai to Ukrainian, hopefully, this will help newcomers to get in DL.

5 Likes

Hello everyone,

I’m Wayde, a Full Stack ML Engineer from San Diego, California. I’m excited to be a part of the new Part 1 course as it was great going through it last year with everyone, and it looks like the new and improved Fastai library is going to kick ass :slight_smile: . I’m hoping to use the things we learn over the coming months towards deploying ML applications for personal projects and (at some point soon, hopefully) an employer .

If anyone is hiring I’m looking for work! Check me out at my personal website that has links to all my socials and some write ups.

Anyways, I’m excited to work with everyone again this year and to really learn how to leverage the power that is practical deep learning with Fastai!

5 Likes

Yes you can. You will miss out on the opportunity to ask questions during the class, of course. I’d strongly suggest trying to watch it no later than the next day, because the conversation online moves fast!

5 Likes

Hi, my name is Matthew. I live in the US and I aspire to be useful in the DL field…someday. In the meantime, I’ll keep my day job as an institutional investor.

2 Likes

Hi everyone.

My name is John Garcia, from Colombia.

I am an information / cybersecurity consultant that started to learn ML/DL four months ago.

I recently took the 2019 part I course, and learned a lot in a short time, mainly because fast.ai library is so great that people like me, who coded 15 years ago at the University, may implement things since the first week!

My main topic of interest is trustworthy AI, so I am learning about fairness, accountability, explainable AI, and of course using my domain expertise of privacy and cyber security to deal with these kind of risks. I would love helping companies and people to build trustworthy AI systems.

I am thinking how to use fast.ai v2 to integrate 3rd party tools dealing with the topics I talked above, and also as a tool to evaluate other metrics to detect bias and create explainable systems.

3 Likes

Hi, everyone –

My name is Andrew Nguyen, currently working as an ML Engineer, managing infrastructure and orchestration for production models on healthcare data.

I started the fast.ai courses almost two years ago, and in that time, I went from being a novice programmer and researcher to landing a spot in Fellowship.AI, and now I work with Launchpad.AI and their clients on AI products, thanks in large part to the course.

Always excited about the unconventional, creative thinking that’s characteristic of fast.ai that leads to big wins in the AI space, and the advances in the field now are as exciting as ever!

4 Likes