Introduce yourself here

Hello! This feels like an AA meeting.

I’m Joe, I’ve been coding for a little over 30 years, was a software developer professionally for about 10, and I’m currently a chef in a private school (the holidays are great :laughing:)

I’ve been away from IT for family reasons for a while but now I want to get back to it and I want to get into DS/ML/DL instead of what I was doing before.

I’m currently doing part 2 of 2019 then I’ll be doing 2020 part 1.

I blog here joedockrill.github.io/blog/ and leave my code here github.com/joedockrill. I don’t do Twitter, it makes my brain itchy.

3 Likes

It isn’t supported on Windows. Use one of the supported setups shown on course.fast.ai . They are all Linux based, and you can connect to them from Windows.

1 Like

That’s pretty awesome :slight_smile: Do the kids know to ask you for help with their coding homework?..

Thanks @jeremy for the reply, I was also considering doing that instead, because as you mentioned, it doesn’t play well with windows. However, I was just trying since I thought I could get it to work just like FastAI v1 in an anconda environment.

So should I take this as an affirmative answer that I can’t get it work on windows? it’s very convenient to have a local system to develop and run code instead of the necessity of a active internet connection. Thanks a lot!

It should be possible, but I’m not sure anyone else is doing it, so if you do try it and get it working, please do post a guide!

1 Like

One option is folks have had (some) success running it in WSL2, however the main issue is sometimes your GPU is recognized, sometimes it’s not

1 Like

Also using GPU in WSL requires using a Windows Insider build, which can be a bit flakey.

1 Like

It’s a private school. They don’t teach them anything useful. One of my kids comes to show me what he’s learnt, terribly proud of himself, the other one doesn’t give a monkeys about coding. It’s so sad…

Hi All, Chris Berkner here in Corte Madera, CA (just north of SF). I got through Part 1 of the previous course version, and I’m excited to dive into this latest release.

Is anyone else just starting this course besides the 3 people who just introduced themselves on this thread? I’m surprised not to see more new students in the past few days. Am I missing the party somewhere? :slight_smile:

About me… I run a 20-person technical and executive search firm focused on growing teams for mission driven companies, primarily in green technology but also lately in biotech (we have a couple of client companies developing tests and treatments for COVID). So on a very immediate note, it helps me to understand the latest technologies so that I can have more meaningful conversations when we’re recruiting software engineers.

I am also a former software engineer and software consulting firm owner (but my actual skillset never got very broad - I was stuck in Visual Basic for Applications for a few years), a former VP of Engineering at a dot com startup (like Yelp, but we didn’t make it - running a LAMP stack there), a former venture capitalist and a former CEO of a 50-person hardware-software startup (PureSense) that helped large farms monitor and control their irrigation (now part of Jain, known as Jain Logic).

But the real reason I’m here is that I’m wanting to innovate and help create new technologies that could help the world. I have a bunch of ideas on how to use deep learning for new social ventures, but I’m not fully committed to any of them specifically yet. I’m hoping that if I create a stronger foundation of skill, whatever project I choose to engage on will have a greater chance of being realized.

Looking forward to connecting with other students - let’s get through this together!

2 Likes

Hello all,

My name is Lovkush Agarwal. I am up-skilling to become a data-scientist, and I hope to gain a solid-grounding in deep learning by doing this course. You can follow me on twitter: @lovkushatleeds. Look forward to interacting with you all! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d like to find (and pay) a software engineer who’s done this course before to tutor me for the next couple months, maybe one or two hours per week. I’ve found in the past that I have a much greater chance of successfully mastering the material that way.

Is this concept against the ethos of the course? If not, does anyone have any suggestions on who I can ask?

(I’m also interested in setting up a Pacific time zone study group, but I’ll post separately on that.)

Hi folks!

I’m Alex, a software engineering researcher with the Applied Artificial Intelligence Institute at Deakin University, Australia. I’m at the tail-end of my PhD in software engineering, where I developed a software engineering architecture to improve robustness of applications using cloud-based (and evolving!) “friendly” AI-components (such as Google Cloud Vision), and investigated the issues developers face when using them. I’ve worked in the past as a software engineer and have been coding for about 10-ish years.

As @jeremy mentioned in the first video, it’s a myth to need a PhD to learn deep learning… well, I may on the brink of attaining a fluffy hat, yet I still find myself wanting to learn more, and find myself engaged in this course! Although I’ve touched on some of the topics in this course in the past (using computer vision to detect racing bib numbers from marathon runners in my honours thesis), I haven’t had the opportunity to explore the fundamentals of deep learning in a ‘traditional’ course-style sense, and since my PhD really focused on the software engineering side of AI, I’d like to cement/structure my (currently scattered) knowledge of deep learning techniques. I find the top-down learning approach very appealing, since this was the way I first learned programming, and I’m hoping the style works for deep learning as much as it did for programming!

Very much looking forward to learning more with the course, and for anyone (virtually) attending ESEC/FSE 2020 this year, I hope to ‘see’ you there!

Stay safe everyone! :hugs:

Cheers,
Alex

PS: Please feel free to follow me on Twitter, LinkedIn or GitHub! :smile:

1 Like

Hello Jeremy I am Abhinav. I am 12 and am learning deep learning after i learnt python for the last 4 months . Is it okay for me who has only a 10th grade knowledge of maths , thanks to khan academy , to learn deep learning . I want to use deep learning to build automous vehicles . Is it possible !!

10 Likes

:grinning: I think that probably makes you the youngest one here!

It’s fine Abhinav, whatever you don’t already know you’ll just have to learn as you go along. If you start getting to a point where you find your maths or your python skills are holding you back, you can always go away and study them a bit more and then carry on with the deep learning.

2 Likes

Sure , thank u so much !!! :grinning: :grinning:I will try my best !!

Hi everyone,

My name is Ravin Singh and I’m a second-year graduate student at the University of Maryland. My research focus is to understand the inter-dependence degradation mechanisms in Li-ion batteries. I’m trying to create deep neural networks which are guided by physical law. This is a challenging task because their are certain boundary conditions in battery degradation physics that the network should understand and follow before it is trained to predict how battery life will degrade in different usage and operational conditions.

Looking forward to interact with the community and learn from my peers and help them along the way. Stay safe!

3 Likes

Hello Everyone,
I am Ananth from San Jose(SF Bay Area). Despite having attempted completing the earlier versions of the DL4coders book, every single attempt failed. This time, I have a fixed goal of actually developing an App(in the business process automation sector). This is motivating me to complete the course. I got the book to go along with the course. I am loving it thus far. This ecosystem has greatly matured since the last time I attempted the course(Paperspace/Gradient), Colab etc. Also the forum itself is a treasure trove of wealthy information on various approaches to DL problems spanning a wide problem domains.

3 Likes

Hi Everyone,
my name is Johan, I’m french but studying in Erfurt, Germany. I’m currently doing an apprenticeship in Programming and started today the third semester.
I’m really glad I found this course, it’s awesome and I’m looking forward to learn more. I honestly don’t know what I’m going to do with what I learn here but I just find it exciting. And it seems that there is a lot to experiment, so quite some fun in perspective (when it works, as I often encounter bugs…).

See you on the forum !

Johan

2 Likes

Hi Everyone,

I’m Avi, I’m a 4th year undergraduate student at Cal Poly SLO, I’m currently working on a research project sponsored by the PolyGAIT Lab at Cal Poly and an industry partner, where we’re working on developing a path planning and object/anomaly detection system for drones flying over energy production infrastructure. I’ve been coding since I was a kid, and I have some background working on robotics projects, but I’m still very new to deep learning/machine learning. In my classes related to “artificial intelligence” in school I find more of a focus on the theoretical over the application and so this course is helping me get my hands dirty building a bunch of models and applying theoretical concepts to application. I’m also excited to take what I learn here and share it with my peers working on the research project.

I’m excited to contribute to this community and learn from everyone here along the way!

2 Likes

Yes it’s totally fine, but note that we do assume some knowledge of a couple of things that you won’t have done by year 10:

• Derivatives / gradients
  • Logarithms / exponentials

Also, depending on your school, you may not have done matrix multiplication yet.

These are all topics, however, that Khan covers very well. Many adults have forgotten these topics by the times they get around to doing our course - so when I introduce them I mention at the time that it’s something people should check out on Khan if they’re not comfortable with the topic.

Also, I wouldn’t suggest using autonomous vehicles as a 1st project - maybe start by trying to classify individual video frames as “pedestrian”, “car”, “intersection”, etc?.. Once you’ve finished the book, you should be in a position where you can tackle video data.

4 Likes