Introduce yourself here

Hi Everyone,

I am Leotis, I am currently a machine learning engineer. I have an electronics engineering background. However i have spent most of my career writing software that is not related to my background.
i see a lot of opportunities for me in the field of AI. This is my first real deep learning course. I am really looking forward to next few weeks.

2 Likes

Hello All,
My name is Bob Hink (@rhink). I started out as a neuroscientist, later a bioinformatics engineer, and now a data scientist. I am more than excited about learning deep learning.

I would like to see how deep learning may inform us about human cognition.

5 Likes

Hello everyone,

I’m certainly feeling a little intimidated (but excited) to be joining a course with such well qualified and talented people.

I work in finance as a trader in government bonds and interest rate derivatives. I have a post graduate maths degree (mainly probability and statistics) and did some coding in my early career. Recently I’ve worked in a small team as a practitioner together with data scientists. Just over a year ago, I started doing more coding myself (using python mainly) , first to help me work better with data scientists and then to help me solve problems and build tools myself.

I really enjoy coding challenges but think I just make the cut for this course - I’ll be spending more time than some of you keeping up! My aims are to better integrate robust data-driven analysis and prediction in my domain of finance, and also to build skills that allow me to transition to an adjacent field should I want to in the near future.

I started the 2019 course just before this course changed to online only. I loved the style and decided to join the live course.

Big thank you for @jeremy for helping me sign up past the deadline.

8 Likes

Hi Everyone,

My name is Gully Burns. I’m a research scientist working at the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative on building models and working with the scientific research literature. As an ex-PI providing biomedical expertise to people building AI tools in an academic lab, I have been using NLP / ML technology indirectly through students and computer science colleagues for a while. I never actually got to really build anything myself or really understand how these systems worked.

I’m very excited to learn more on this course and to apply it to our work in better understanding and empowering scientific knowledge.

Looking forward to the next few weeks!

Gul

4 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m Allen. I currently work as a developer/condition analyst on railway track recording data. recently complete a grad dip in data science. Have been an ML enthusiast since forever, began tinkering with language learners back when the Amiga was new tech, a Texas Instruments Ohio was my first computer, if anyone remembers those.
Programmed in many languages over the years (Amos, Pascal, Lisp, Forth, Rebol, VB,F#, C#, JS, etc but my Python is currently minimal. :frowning: Looking forward to learning and having fun doing it, love Jeremy’s approach to teaching. Hoping to apply the learning here to many work and hobby projects.

4 Likes

Hi all,

It’s nice to meet everyone and I am both excited (because of the panoply of machine learning skills I am about to pick up) and nervous (because it has been a few months since I truly exercised these muscles) to start FastAI part 1.

I am an Product Manager at Google (part of the Associate Product Manager program) and recently graduated from Harvard with a Bachelor’s in Statistics & Computer Science. I took both theoretical and practical machine learning courses, but nothing as intriguing or useful as FastAI.

I have a ton of hobbies, but I’d like apply my machine learning skills to the following industries: sports (I’m a huge fan and love working through sports data sets), civics and education, and markets (pricing, trading, etc).

Look forward to chatting more!

6 Likes

It turned out I didn’t need to - the team were already on it :slight_smile:

Def. interested in this idea. will try to catch one of your streams.

1 Like

Hi *,

Wow, this thread is long - I guess you guys must be like family by now. Glad to join the family, albeit quite late. Super excited to embark on the fast.ai journey, have only heard good things about the course and the framework, but so far never used it.

I work as a Data Scientist at a global management consulting firm, developing business cases, tailoring machine learning solutions, and scaling them across organizations. I’ve worked in a wide array of industries, ranging from retail, to pharma and mining. In our line of work, limited data often meet ambitious timeframes, thus, the dominant algorithms applied are ensembles. I’ve developed my fair share of DL models with tensorflow, and have laid hands on PyTorch but am excited to learn about fast.ai universe, and even more so to use in action!

Hope we’ll get to know each other more, looking forward to learning with/from all of you!

Cheers,
Greg

4 Likes

Hello everybody!
Wow, so many new faces :slight_smile: My name is Hiromi (twitter: @hiromi_suenaga) and this is my third year taking this class. I took an Artificial Intelligence class back in college but after a semester of that, I knew a little bit of Lisp and not much else - I remember thinking “that was not at all what I expected”. Fast.ai on the other hand, even after one lesson, I was able to write and train my own dog vs. cat neural net!

I am excited for tonight and looking forward chatting with you all!

12 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’m Camille Fassett, and I’m finishing up a data science fellowship at the Human Rights Data Analysis Group in San Francisco. I come from a data journalism background and was previously reporter and researcher at Freedom of the Press Foundation in New York City. My twitter handle is @camfassett.

As I am finishing up my fellowship, I am currently job hunting. I did not expect to be looking for a job during a pandemic and heading into a recession, but yet here we are. I was also planning to attend this course in person in San Francisco, but now that is impossible too, thanks to coronavirus.

Looking forward to this course, and to engaging with everyone!

4 Likes

Hi I’m Christina! I’m from Mississippi, USA.

I work as a freelance Data Scientist for medical startups and marketing firms. I’ve started in Bioinformatics back in 2008. Later, I changed my mind after a few years, left and came back in 2016. That’s when I started learning from Ng and Fast.ai. I’m a ML generalist I’ve worked on predictive analytics, NLP, NN, and other models. I’ve only really worked in Python. It’s just so flexible.

I want to learn DL to build image generators for a product I’m working on for my marketing clients, might as well make my work easier :joy: .

Sometimes , I get to teach Math and Comp. Sci online to k12 students. I really want to bring Comp. Sci to students before they graduate high school.

Happy to contribute to the community in anyway I can.

@geekyinsights on Twitter

LinkedIn

2 Likes

Hi everyone - I’m Steef. I work at Google as a Global Product Lead for advertising automation products and recently PM on Android Audio Framework.

I don’t actually have a technical background, so I’m a bit on a limb here in this course. Hopefully I can keep up :slight_smile:

I’m very interested in NLP for music composition applications; have been reading a lot about this over the past years – but want to get my hands dirty on this and DL1 seemed like a great way to start.

FYI this DL1 certificate is my way to kickstart a research project on NLP music composition. If any is interested to collaborate (within and outside of the DL1 framework) – please reach out!!

I hope everyone is doing well and keeping safe! Definitely a bummer not to meet all of you in person; but hopefully when this calms down and we’re all in a good place again in a few months, maybe we can meet up :slight_smile:

Anyways, looking forward to this!

Thanks
Steef

9 Likes

Hey all,

I’m David. I have a background with so many checkers in it that it could fill up a cheap suit.Very interested in pattern recognition in general (both cognitive and machine-based) with a special interest in language – NLP and Natural Language Generation or, as I prefer to say, Natural Language Creation --three very pleasing words together. Background in writing and music and theater and film; also in programming (front end web) and lately as a software manager.

Isaac Newton did all of his great work during the plague (not that this is that) in London in 1665. He couldn’t go out so he stayed in and invented calculus. Then, he got interested in light, and made a hole in his shutters, got hold of a prism, and pretty much invented the science of optics. And right outside his window, he noticed an apple tree. You know what that led to.

100 years earlier, in July of 1564, William Shakespeare was three months old when the plague hit his parents’ neighborhood in Stratford-on-Avon. Mary Arden and John Shakespeare locked their doors and sealed their windows to try and keep the disease at bay, and whether through good fortune, basic hygiene, or snug window frames and door jambs, the future Bard of Avon and his family were spared.
40 years later when it came back, he holed himself up and wrote the Sonnets and two great tragedies may owe their existence to Elizabethan public heath policies.

Bertolt Brecht wrote in one of his poems:

“In the dark times
Will there also be singing?
Yes, there will also be singing.
About the dark times.”

Let’s be creative and do great things.

5 Likes

My name is Madhu. I am an engineering manager at Blend. Follow me here: https://twitter.com/muralimadhu
Noob in the deep learning and machine learning space. I’ve never taken the fastai course. Hoping to learn a lot from all of you

2 Likes

Hello! I’m Andre, a data scientist at Patreon in San Francisco. In my past life I did experimental particle physics, and nowadays I split my fine between anti-fraud efforts and product analytics. All the ML I’ve done till now has been tree-based, so I’m excited to use some nets.

4 Likes

Hello,

I’m Gregory. I’m a French programmer who’s been working on handwriting recognition tech for the past years.

I’ve followed part3 and I’m glad I can brush up my knowledge with part4!

1 Like

Hi all!

I’m looking forward to learning about the changes in AI as of 2020. I am interested in collaboration and learning together. I really like deprecated old hardware, video game development, and AI for solving problems. Send me a message anytime (and then a second time if I don’t see it :slight_smile: ). I think I’ve had several accounts on this site, but I’ve been here on and off.

For background: I have degrees in CS and Biology. I’ve previously worked as a lab tech and/or researcher in Microbiology, Neuroscience, and Materials. I am currently a professional business consultant for all parts of the product development cycle and I teach a lab course in Electrical Engineering as I work part time on my PhD.

1 Like

Hi All,

My name is Govind and I am a Technical Product Manager working in the risk tech industry. I have a background in quantitative finance and I used to be a data scientist until a year ago before I transitioned into a Product role.

I am hoping to get back up to speed with the cutting edge in the field during this course and learn from the experts in this community.

2 Likes

Hi All,

My name is Emilio and I am a Partner and Data Scientist at a large management consulting firm.
Originally from Italy, I moved to Boston about 16 years ago.

I’ve been following FastAI and its fantastic team since they started, and I always wanted to participate to their courses live.

Very excited about the opportunity to learn from all of you during this course.

Cheers

2 Likes