In-class discussion: Introductory workshop

Will the powershell command work on windows 8.1?

Microsoft says it should work.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/setup/installing-windows-powershell?view=powershell-5.1#finding-powershell-in-windows-10-81-80-and-7

1 Like

@yinterian FYI, we barely heard your question about Win 8.1, seems your mic input is very low compared to Jeremy.

From MS website, it says prerequisite is Windows 10 or later :frowning:

So Iā€™ll say no, Windows 8.1 doesnā€™t support the Linux subsystem for windows feature

Thanks for the link and the support here. @yinterian ! I see that thereā€™s a chat session ongoing in Youtube as well along the livestream. Is this something we will be officially using during the course ? If I heard Jeremy correct, all conversations will happen here. Just curious, as I prefer to use Youtube without being logged in. :slight_smile:

we can

I think your link talks about PowerShell which surely is available in the mentioned Windows versionsā€¦the question about Linux Subsystem as a feature of Windows 8.1 which as far as I read from the MS website, itā€™s not supported

1 Like

do we have sufficient AWS credits for the whole course?

1 Like

Yeah, apologies. It only supports the Powershell.

1 Like

can i use a linux machine for this course as well ?

1 Like

minGW can also be used :slight_smile:

1 Like

Definitely.

Yes, of course

How relevant is keras , now that you are using Pytorch.

1 Like

We are not using Keras in this version of the course.

3 Likes

Just installed Homebrew as per the website. Do we have to do the next thing "What does homebrew do? part also to install anything now?

We will be installing other things with homebrew. You can used it to install almost anything.

How about folks who have PCs with NVIDIA GPU chips, is there a guide to setup for training models on the local PC?

1 Like

@Jeremy at a beginner stage, do you suggest a DL rig at home or AWS (and the alternatives)