Developer chat

docs.fast.ai is still down due to Github problems. How do I run it locally?

Clone the fastai_docs repo. /docs is just a jekyll site - so follow jekyll instructions for running it.

1 Like

http://docs.fast.ai/gen_doc.html#Testing-site-locally

1 Like

I was thinking, perhaps we can create a new feature for the course notebooks that will automatically adjust the bs depending on the gpu RAM size the user has, so perhaps we could poll nvidia-smi and set the bs accordingly?

The problem is that if I want to get the latest changes, and git pull, I have to wipe off all my local overrides, otherwise it’s a hell of a merge operation. And then I need to remember to go and change them again - this is a huge waste of time. So it’d be nice if we could get the bs out of needing be changed manually (other than lesson 1 where it’s on purpose too big to demonstrate the point of bs to gpu ram correspondence).

So in the first few cells, there will be a call:

bs = set_bs_based_on_my_gpu_size('lesson1')

so we will need to have a db of memory requiremetns for each lesson and it’d magically sort it out.

Alternative idea, have each nb start with:

bs = 24 # 8GB
#bs = 48 #12GB
#bs = 100 #21GB

or a dict perhaps, and the user can choose manually quickly rather than re-running the nb again and again and guessing. but of course it can be automated from nvidia-smi info.

Thoughts?

1 Like

I like the idea of setting bs “automagically”, but if you do that only for the lesson (checking the best size based on a db), I wonder if people won’t expect that is something fastai always can do.

In fastai, bs is defined in DataBunch, but DataBunch has not info on the model. Keras choose to set bs in fit (as long I remember) where you have info on the model.

If we change to set bs at fit or to use set_bs_based_...(learn) after the learner is created, this could be a permanent feature.

This is something I would like to have, as nowadays defining bs is a try and error thing.

1 Like

FYI: fastai-1.0.12 is out

1.0.12 (2018-10-23)

Fixed:

• change TextDataBunchClass method [from_ids_files, from_tokens, from_df,
    from_csv, from_folder] so that classes argument is passed to the call to TextDataset
  • Strip space from file name when CSV has spaces
  • Handle missing loss_func attr
  • Pass on the use_bn parameter in get_tabular_learner
  • Bad handling when final batch has size of 1
  • rolled back numpy dependency to >=1.12 (anaconda package has a upper pin on it) and to pip>=9.0.1, the old version are buggy but should be ok for fastai
1 Like

@ashaw, I have another doc-gen puzzle for you, besides the generation of unique anchors.

Please take a look at tabular.html

Do you see the first link with an anchor (in the main content, not toc)?

<p><a href="/tabular.html#tabular"><code>tabular</code></a> contains all the necessary classes to deal with tabular data, across two modules:</p>

but there is no such target as #tabular. So either you need to add the non-existing target or not have those anchors in the link. I don’t know what the correct way.

And it happens in more than one place in the same file. Therefore I think you just need to add the missing target.

The same problem appears in about a dozen files: basic_train.html callback.html collab.html core.html metrics.html tabular.html text.html vision.data.html vision.html vision.tta.html.

Thank you.

These tools are :fire: :fire:! Much appreciated

Hmmm I think https://docs.fast.ai/tabular.html#tabular actually works on the main docs site.
element-tree

Perhaps the ./checklink-docs-local.sh script breaks is because #tabular is not directly included in local tabular.html file?
Jekyll converts it (through a template) when it serves - https://github.com/fastai/fastai_docs/blob/master/docs/_layouts/post.html#L7

But yes, I think there are still lots of other broken links I need to resolve!

OK, thank you for showing me that it’s js/template-generated and not in the source code.

I guess I can’t rely on a local fs link checker (it’s just much much faster). That’s OK, the live site’s one seems to work and reports a lot more problems. The latest one is here:

https://dev.azure.com/fastdotai/fastai/_build/results?buildId=836&view=logs

Thank you, Andrew.

Edit: I guess I can change the local fs link checker to fire up jekyll, run the check and then take it down - that would do the trick.

If you bundle exec jekyll build then it’ll create your site in the _site directory.

Important change in the API of RNNLearner described in details here.

Also, removed all get_mnist(), get_adult(), get_imdb() methods from datasets since it was making

1. the library import vision and text all the time
  2. circle depencies

I’m in the process of updating the docs and all the examples accordingly.

1 Like

I hope this thread is ok for this: Would it make sense to have a check_images method in ImageDataBunch? @Taka and I had a short discussion in the “share your work” thread of the ongoing course. I used a very simple quick and dirty for loop to check for file integrity in my little fun notebook:

A parallelized version with a delete flag could be nice for cleaning a dataset.

2 Likes

@stas Great idea. But before doing the merge “surgery”, note that there may be other workloads occupying parts of the GPU, and many GPUs to choose from.

How about providing a simple API that

1. returns a list of how much RAM is available at each GPU (via-smi)
  2. returns the RAM requirements for a given model x, so that we can then set the bs and GPU using whatever policy…

Also, using LMS or other high-bandwidth swapping GPU-CPU RAM mechanisms we can deploy much bigger models with a minimal performance penalty…

For beginners the simpler thing is to have a bs table/multiplier factor, as there are just a few GPU RAM configurations, eg 8GB, 11GB, 16GB, …

@gsg, See my post earlier where I started working on this - Developer chat - it got no feedback.

Also see Show GPU utilization metrics inside training loop (without subprocess call!)
and https://docs-dev.fast.ai/gpu#accessing-nvidia-gpu-info-programmatically.

I made a new mem-utils branch with the starter code. (new code is in fastai/utils/mem.py)

Also, this should work gracefully on CPU-only setups.

new release has been published:

1.0.13 (2018-10-24)

New:

• pretrained language model is now downloaded directly in the .fastai/models/ folder. Use pretrained_model=URLs.WT103
  • add an argument stop_div to Learner.lr_find() to prevent early stopping, useful for negative losses.
  • add an argument convert_mode to open_mask and SegmentationDataset to choose the PIL conversion mode of the masks.

Changed:

• URLs.download_wt103() has been removed
2 Likes

I was looking into the codebase and noticed that bidir parameter was never exposed here. Is this intentional?

update on the fastai_docs tools

• all tools are now under fastai_docs/tools

• tools/update-nbs replaces docs_src/tools/gen_all.sh and docs_src/tools/sgen_notebooks.py

usage of fire has been removed, one script can now update specific or all notebooks, the usage of arguments to be passed changed a bit to a simpler:

update all notebooks:
    tools/update-nbs

update specific notebooks:
    tools/update-nbs docs_src/one.ipynb docs_src/one.ipynb

to pass arguments to update_notebooks just use add any of:
    --update_html --update_nb --update_nb_links --do_execute --update_line_num
    and that would indicate --arg=True, otherwise the defaults are used

updated docs: https://docs.fast.ai/gen_doc.html#Updating-notebooks-from-script:

• docs_src/tools/make_sidebar.py moved to tools/make_sidebar.py and the data was split off into docs_src/sidebar/sidebar_data.py (feel free to relocate the data elsewhere if you don’t like that location, but please not in tools/ folder - thank you).

updated docs: https://docs.fast.ai/gen_doc.html#Updating-sidebar

1 Like

Also @sgugger or @ashaw can you please look at two XXX comments I made at: https://docs.fast.ai/gen_doc.html#Update-the-doc I am not sure those are still relevant/correct - can you please validate/remove/fix?

@ashaw, I also noticed that : from headers makes it into the #anchor, e.g.:

Thank you!

Do you mean to ask if we still need a function that does just one notebook? Yes, definitely.

I made a new mem-utils branch with the starter code. (new code is in fastai/utils/mem.py)

Very good start. Just tested it on 2 different servers…
Now it also reports the memory available for the smaller dedicated graphics card (eg a 710) which is not a good candidate for running CUDA.

1 Like