Chicago - USA area

Great – Sundays are generally better for me as well.

I’m also in the chicagoland area and would be up for joining a meetup.

What do we say we do Sundays around lunchtime - something between 10 and 2. Something at the crossroads of some trains since it seems we have people from all neighborhoods. Deep learning lunch and learn!

Hi. I am from St. Louis MO and would like to join this study group if possible. Saturdays or Sundays work for me. Thanks.

Since we’re all over, we should choose a convenient time to discuss where we are at and what we’re doing. I say we block off 3-4 hours on Sundays that we tune in weekly here, otherwise just post questions when you have them? Thoughts?

1-4pm Sunday?

Here is a current summary of what I’ve been doing and issues I’ve run into:

I’m using Paperspace to work on the class. I originally set up my computer using old instructions (because I did it a week before class). I originally chose the fastai set up paperspace machine. I pulled in course-v3 from github and have gone through the code for lesson one and am working on training my own code.

Some issues I’ve run into - wrong version of PyTorch on my machine - found information to update on official PyTorch website.

I added
import torch

GPU issues -
Running torch.cuda.is_available() produced FALSE.
After troubleshooting I restarted my instance. That worked.

Issues with normalize:
ValueError: padding_mode needs to be 'zeros' or 'border', but got reflection
Added padding_mode='zeros' to ImageDataBunch.

I’m ready to start playing with my own dataset. I’ve found one I like on kaggle that I want to try out first. Has anyone worked with adding labels from a csv to categorize images? Any help would be much appreciated.

UPDATE:

I was successful in using lavels from csv using the following code:
from pathlib import Path
import pandas as pd

path = Path("/home/paperspace/data/DecorPatterns/images/")
df = pd.read_csv("/home/paperspace/data/DecorPatterns/decor.csv")
#df.head()

df1 = df[['file', 'decor']]

df1.columns = ['name', 'label']
df1.head()

data = ImageDataBunch.from_df(path, df1, size=224)
2 Likes

I’m also getting this but I wonder if it’s not some other error about the versions installed? We should not be patching fastai directly…

I did a git pull on fastai to have the latest version, but none the less I still ran into this issue. Maybe we should be using something else?

Seems very sensible – The logistics otherwise are going to be a nightmare.

-L

This version of the course definitely does not seem to be VM - first. I started it before using a VM and switched to notebook for this go around. The lack of being able to hack directly on the machine is an issue for sure – Though I did get a model trained on my own stuff last time. I’ve got a post in the paperspace general thread asking about this. FWIW – the Notebook only P5000 is a site cheaper than running a vm.

My old dataset: Failing to complete training in Lesson 1 for own data

Post asking about Gradient hacking: https://forums.fast.ai/t/platform-paperspace-and-gradient/27338/47?u=larcat

So this wasn’t very intuitive for me but I finally figured it out. After reading over and over that I needed pytorch 1.0 and I needed pytorch nightly I finally realized they are both pytorch. So uninstalling pytorch and re-installing pytorch_nightly has solved my issues.

I hope this helps any other people confused about the fact that these are both pytorch.

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

I am late to the this discussion. Probably, did not have access to this thread because I was not registered for in-person/online course.
I am just wondering if you are still continuing meetings in Chicagoland ? Seems like we have good numbers here on thread.

If meetings are not scheduled yet then can we start something book reading club/ journal reading/ tutorial presentation? at Chicago Public Library locations?

Hopefully, Interacting with each other on regular basis will build fastai community here and will make us better learners.

Thank you!

I think it would be fun to get together, or maybe even start a meetup!

1 Like

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for reply!!

I am close to downtown. How about arranging meeting on sometime coming Saturday/Sunday?
We can definitely start a meetup.

@larcat, @agoldina, @emi, @tomle, @eugene, are any of you interested in meeting up and discussing fast.ai, talking about projects, etc with @tamhash and I on a Sunday in the near future.

As an alternative we could have a quick conference call(google hangout,etc) to talk about what we want to accomplish in an in person meeting.

1 Like

I’ll be honest, post class I got caught up with work & personal life so it would be fantastic to gather to do some joint work or projects.

I am northwest and prefer somewhere I can either drive or get to on the blue line.

I’ve been planning to re-watch all the lessons and re-do my notes and re-do all the workbooks, so I want to see what everyone else’s plans and needs are - that way we can structure a meeting plan.

I’m not from the Chicago area (or US), just ended up chatting here due to some bug.

Sure Daniel and @agoldina, we can have quick conference call to start with.

Hopefully more will join us.

You want to try to do a quick call this Sunday? @tamhash @agoldina.

If you all want to crash a meetup, I am going to be presenting the fast ai approch at dupage business analytics group @ benedictine university on Tuesday February 26th, there will be free pizza and pop.

1 Like

The call sounds great. I’m busy that Tuesday unfortunately. Phone or skype?