Building home GPU server

Hi Gerardo,

I’m running a dual-boot (Win10-Ubuntu 16.04 LTS). I’m 99% of my time on Ubuntu.

No bitcoin, yet :wink:

I’m in the field of machine learning & big data since a long time so I wanted to have a powerful rig to experiment.

Have a nice course!

Steeve

Hi Guys,

Just found that Nvidia launched the GeForce GTX 1070Ti today (for US&Canada). So If you are looking to make your own rig, they can be quite economical and have somewhat same specs of 1080Ti. Although I personally would like to wait for a review.

Here’s the tweet : https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/status/923535648983736320
And the link : https://t.co/xdqSorTDBS

Thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Not sure I see a benefit for DL, since there’s no memory upgrade AFAICT here. I only took a brief look though, so someone please correct me if I’m mistaken.

I would still recommend sticking with 1080 because 1070ti is supposed to be cheaper than 1080 (MSRP arround 430USD ) but the price is at surge and availability is also an issue (Miners grabbing them to replace 1070s). Its better to get 1080 by paying that extra amount whenever you can find an offer below 500USD . I grabbed one for 490USD. :slight_smile:
P.S: No of Cuda Cores:
1080 - 2560 Cores
1070 Ti -2,432 Cores

1 Like

This is a great deal on newegg on refurbished desktop which has 1070. I just bought mine couple of months ago.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883101359&cm_re=refurbished_1070_desktop--83-101-359--Product

4 Likes

That Acer does look like a good deal, and well suited for DL!

1 Like

The GTX 1080Ti is the best deal out there in ratio perf/vram/price. The GTX 1070Ti has the same amount of vram as the GTX 1070 (8gb) of GDDR5 (GDDR5X for the GTX 1080Ti). The other drawback is that as the GTX 1070Ti is relatively new you will find it full priced where you could find the GTX 1080 being roughly the same price while being better in term of performances on some seller websites given that it was released for a longer time and can be on discount.

2 Likes

@gerardo @jeremy The Ubuntu installation works fine for me on Windows 10 Home. Have to get the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update though. Easiest way to do it is to go to the Ubuntu app in Windows Store and there is a link to download and install the update.

I think I was missing that version on my computer.

Just posted my completed build to PcPartPicker (Intel 8700K, 1080Ti, Intel Optane 900P 480GB XPoint SSD).

Small, Silent, Powerful Machine Learning System

The power of Intel Optane SSD 900P (3D XPoint):

3 Likes

oh well, so far the GTX 1080 was ok for data augmentation i needed for work but this weekend i was trying to use CycleGAN to convert to/from my food photography and sketches… couldn’t go beyond 164X164 resolution due to OOM, which is a shame as there are some super nice textural developments in the generated images…
i could prob ask Santa for a second card but suspect it won’t solve the problem - the CycleGan already runs on batch size=1 and the second worker thread or something won’t help right?