AI workstation setup?

Hello all!

Is there a up-to-gate guide out there that will help noobs like me setup there own ML workstation?
I have an Nvidia card and windows 10 (I can use Linux too).

Syirrus

An answer to this question would really help me too. I’ve been finding a mix of setup instructions that seem to be wrong and outdated.

Tim Dettmers has a quite comprehensive guide:

Also there’s a lot of information in this thread:

I built a workstation (Intel i9, 64 GB RAM and a RTX 3090) recently - and I have to admit it was not as easy as I thought :wink: But all is working now and makes things way more fun :).

2 Likes

After looking around, I finally found some information that was pretty straight forward for setting things up. STEPS:

1. Install Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and all updates.
  2. Install latest Nvidia drivers.
  3. Install latest Anaconda.

I used this guide to accomplish the rest and surprisingly it worked.

My setup is a SFFpc with a 3090. It runs really well so far.

Hey Syiruss, thanks for the response. What version of cuda/cuDNN did you use. That’s the part that’s tripping me up.

No worries man.

Unlike with tensorflow, I didn’t install CUDA or CDNN, just the latest nvidia drivers for Ubuntu via package manager. I think when you install fast.ai and all of it’s dependencies it will grab the correct version of CUDA and CDNN.

I ran the introduction model notebook and monitored my GPU and it ran on my GPU. The GPU pulled 350 watts and used 12 gigs of GPU memory when it was training the models in the intro jupyter notebook.

So, from this perspective it looks like it is working, unless I missed something.

i had trouble with the driver packages installed with apt so I downloaded the Nvidia toolkit here:

im running 11.1 / 455 currently (cuda_11.1.1_455.32.00_linux.run).

To install Pytorch:

pip install torch==1.7.0+cu110 torchvision==0.8.1+cu110 torchaudio===0.7.0 -f https://download.pytorch.org/whl/torch_stable.html

SFF? Interesting!

May you provide additional details about your setup and maybe some pics? Thanks! :slight_smile: