A walk with fastai2 - Vision - Study Group and Online Lectures Megathread

Linux

Hi! How should I apply the tutorial of RetinaNet for unlabeled object detection (just bboxblock, no labels)? Should I create a synthetic label, which is the same for all the boxes, or there is a better way to do it?

Thanks!

I think two (class, no class) may be better here. IIRC this was my approach for the wheat detection Kaggle (and someone else’s too) which is set up as only one class.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll try that. What if I want to detect objects given as coordinates instead of bounding boxes? Does it make sense to convert points to bounding boxes of width and height equals to zero in the RetinaNet approach? I’ve also seen your tutorial on Keypoint regression, but I see thatthe number of keypoints per image is constant, which is not in true in the object detection problem I am facing.

Hello,
I went through a couple of videos of this course, and realised that the way the DataBlock API is used in this course is a bit different from the one I learnt from official fastai course v3. Can someone please guide me where can I get the documentation or learn the details of defining DataBlocks as described in this course?

Course v3 uses the original fastai while this course uses the latest fastai v2, so there have been some changes. You can read through the documentation here: https://dev.fast.ai/

Firstly, complete this course. Watch the videos and refer the course repo along the way.

If you’ve completed the official fastai v3 course, here are the respective fastai2 notebooks

To dive deeper, start with the tutorials and then refer the documentation as per the needs.

Soon course-v4 will be available on the YouTube, until then, you could go through the above mentioned resources.

2 Likes

Yeah it might take a bit to get used to the vocabulary and get registered in our brain. But once you get used it customizing your data would be painless.

@wgpubs blog on Datablock and @muellerzr blogposts on this topic are my favorites in addition to the tutorials.

2 Likes

Thanks for the amazing links.

How to save a Tensor as a png or jpg file?

In lesson 5 Style transfer, the restyled image is shown using the following statement:

TensorImage(res[0]).show()

Clipping input data to the valid range for imshow with RGB data ([0..1] for floats or [0..255] for integers).
<matplotlib.axes._subplots.AxesSubplot at 0x7f7dcc6c6668>

We can see the Tensor using the folllowing statement:
TensorImage(res[0])

TensorImage([[[-1.0398, -1.2750,  0.0255,  ...,  0.0853,  0.0714,  0.0932],
         [-1.1200, -1.2831, -0.0592,  ...,  0.1141,  0.1279,  0.1003],
         [-1.1262, -1.2608, -0.0295,  ...,  0.2222,  0.2049,  0.1414,
    device='cuda:0')

What’s the best way to convert/save this to a jpg or png ?

Cheers mrfabulous1 :smiley: :smiley:

Sure :slight_smile: So in general, you’d do something like so (full disclosure I had initially forgotten the full steps, borrowed from @lgvaz’s notebook here)

Once you have your predictions (IE res[0]) you’d want to multiply it by 255 (so we undo our IntToFloat tensor etc) and make it a long instead of a float:
t = TensorImage((res[0]*255).long())
Then we simply create a PILImage from it and save like you normally would from Pillow:

im = PILImage.create(t)
im.save(dir/fname)
2 Likes

Hi muellerzr hope you’re having a wonderful day!
That worked great :smiley:.

I had to chain the cpu() as follows:
t = TensorImage((res[0]*255).long()).cpu()
this stopped the following error
TypeError: can't convert cuda:0 device type tensor to numpy. Use Tensor.cpu() to copy the tensor to host memory first.

Many Thanks mrfabulous1 :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

@muellerzr I am referring to lesson 01_custom. I downloaded three classes of bears (black, grizzly and teddy) and tried to classify them. I got an error of about 23% and I would like to clean my data further to improve accuracy. Can you recommend the best approach to clean my data? Is there a function similar to the ImageCleaner in fastai2?

Many thanks

Hello,

I am making reference to lesson 03_multi_label. Everything was going well until I got the error below. Kindly assist on how to resolve this error.

ImageCleaner is now ImageClassifierCleaner. Do not it still will not work in Google Colab, hence why I did not show it.

When posting an issue please copy the stack trace fully. The pipe doesn’t tell me anything. Surround it with “```” so it looks

python

like this so it’s easier for us to read.

<ipython-input-35-be1ab4476b35> in <module>()
----> 1 learn.fit_one_cycle(5, slice(lr))

23 frames
/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastcore/utils.py in _f(*args, **kwargs)
    429         init_args.update(log)
    430         setattr(inst, 'init_args', init_args)
--> 431         return inst if to_return else f(*args, **kwargs)
    432     return _f

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai2/callback/schedule.py in fit_one_cycle(self, n_epoch, lr_max, div, div_final, pct_start, wd, moms, cbs, reset_opt)
    111     scheds = {'lr': combined_cos(pct_start, lr_max/div, lr_max, lr_max/div_final),
    112               'mom': combined_cos(pct_start, *(self.moms if moms is None else moms))}
--> 113     self.fit(n_epoch, cbs=ParamScheduler(scheds)+L(cbs), reset_opt=reset_opt, wd=wd)
    115 # Cell

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastcore/utils.py in _f(*args, **kwargs)
    429         init_args.update(log)
    430         setattr(inst, 'init_args', init_args)
--> 431         return inst if to_return else f(*args, **kwargs)
    432     return _f

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai2/learner.py in fit(self, n_epoch, lr, wd, cbs, reset_opt)
    199                         self.epoch=epoch;          self('begin_epoch')
    200                         self._do_epoch_train()
--> 201                         self._do_epoch_validate()
    202                     except CancelEpochException:   self('after_cancel_epoch')
    203                     finally:                       self('after_epoch')

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai2/learner.py in _do_epoch_validate(self, ds_idx, dl)
    181         try:
    182             self.dl = dl;                                    self('begin_validate')
--> 183             with torch.no_grad(): self.all_batches()
    184         except CancelValidException:                         self('after_cancel_validate')
    185         finally:                                             self('after_validate')

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai2/learner.py in all_batches(self)
    151     def all_batches(self):
    152         self.n_iter = len(self.dl)
--> 153         for o in enumerate(self.dl): self.one_batch(*o)
    155     def one_batch(self, i, b):

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai2/learner.py in one_batch(self, i, b)
    165             self.opt.zero_grad()
    166         except CancelBatchException:                         self('after_cancel_batch')
--> 167         finally:                                             self('after_batch')
    169     def _do_begin_fit(self, n_epoch):

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai2/learner.py in __call__(self, event_name)
    132     def ordered_cbs(self, event): return [cb for cb in sort_by_run(self.cbs) if hasattr(cb, event)]
--> 134     def __call__(self, event_name): L(event_name).map(self._call_one)
    135     def _call_one(self, event_name):
    136         assert hasattr(event, event_name)

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastcore/foundation.py in map(self, f, *args, **kwargs)
    374              else f.format if isinstance(f,str)
    375              else f.__getitem__)
--> 376         return self._new(map(g, self))
    378     def filter(self, f, negate=False, **kwargs):

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastcore/foundation.py in _new(self, items, *args, **kwargs)
    325     @property
    326     def _xtra(self): return None
--> 327     def _new(self, items, *args, **kwargs): return type(self)(items, *args, use_list=None, **kwargs)
    328     def __getitem__(self, idx): return self._get(idx) if is_indexer(idx) else L(self._get(idx), use_list=None)
    329     def copy(self): return self._new(self.items.copy())

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastcore/foundation.py in __call__(cls, x, *args, **kwargs)
     45             return x
---> 47         res = super().__call__(*((x,) + args), **kwargs)
     48         res._newchk = 0
     49         return res

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastcore/foundation.py in __init__(self, items, use_list, match, *rest)
    316         if items is None: items = []
    317         if (use_list is not None) or not _is_array(items):
--> 318             items = list(items) if use_list else _listify(items)
    319         if match is not None:
    320             if is_coll(match): match = len(match)

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastcore/foundation.py in _listify(o)
    252     if isinstance(o, list): return o
    253     if isinstance(o, str) or _is_array(o): return [o]
--> 254     if is_iter(o): return list(o)
    255     return [o]

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastcore/foundation.py in __call__(self, *args, **kwargs)
    218             if isinstance(v,_Arg): kwargs[k] = args.pop(v.i)
    219         fargs = [args[x.i] if isinstance(x, _Arg) else x for x in self.pargs] + args[self.maxi+1:]
--> 220         return self.fn(*fargs, **kwargs)
    222 # Cell

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai2/learner.py in _call_one(self, event_name)
--> 137         [cb(event_name) for cb in sort_by_run(self.cbs)]
    139     def _bn_bias_state(self, with_bias): return bn_bias_params(self.model, with_bias).map(self.opt.state)

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai2/learner.py in <listcomp>(.0)
--> 137         [cb(event_name) for cb in sort_by_run(self.cbs)]
    139     def _bn_bias_state(self, with_bias): return bn_bias_params(self.model, with_bias).map(self.opt.state)

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai2/callback/core.py in __call__(self, event_name)
     22         _run = (event_name not in _inner_loop or (self.run_train and getattr(self, 'training', True)) or
     23                (self.run_valid and not getattr(self, 'training', False)))
---> 24         if self.run and _run: getattr(self, event_name, noop)()
     25         if event_name=='after_fit': self.run=True #Reset self.run to True at each end of fit

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai2/learner.py in after_batch(self)
    421         if len(self.yb) == 0: return
    422         mets = self._train_mets if self.training else self._valid_mets
--> 423         for met in mets: met.accumulate(self.learn)
    424         if not self.training: return
    425         self.lrs.append(self.opt.hypers[-1]['lr'])

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai2/learner.py in accumulate(self, learn)
    346     def accumulate(self, learn):
    347         bs = find_bs(learn.yb)
--> 348         self.total += to_detach(self.func(learn.pred, *learn.yb))*bs
    349         self.count += bs
    350     @property

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai2/metrics.py in error_rate(inp, targ, axis)
     78 def error_rate(inp, targ, axis=-1):
     79     "1 - `accuracy`"
---> 80     return 1 - accuracy(inp, targ, axis=axis)
     82 # Cell

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai2/metrics.py in accuracy(inp, targ, axis)
     72 def accuracy(inp, targ, axis=-1):
     73     "Compute accuracy with `targ` when `pred` is bs * n_classes"
---> 74     pred,targ = flatten_check(inp.argmax(dim=axis), targ)
     75     return (pred == targ).float().mean()

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastai2/torch_core.py in flatten_check(inp, targ)
    778     "Check that `out` and `targ` have the same number of elements and flatten them."
    779     inp,targ = inp.contiguous().view(-1),targ.contiguous().view(-1)
--> 780     test_eq(len(inp), len(targ))
    781     return inp,targ

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastcore/test.py in test_eq(a, b)
     30 def test_eq(a,b):
     31     "`test` that `a==b`"
---> 32     test(a,b,equals, '==')
     34 # Cell

/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/fastcore/test.py in test(a, b, cmp, cname)
     20     "`assert` that `cmp(a,b)`; display inputs and `cname or cmp.__name__` if it fails"
     21     if cname is None: cname=cmp.__name__
---> 22     assert cmp(a,b),f"{cname}:\n{a}\n{b}"
     24 # Cell

AssertionError: ==:
1024```

Can someone please explain me what is the major difference between datasets and data loaders in fastai2 ?
Also, is there any difference between declaring the image transforms and batch transforms in the DataBlock API and in the DataBlock.dataloaders() function ?

Datasets: Something readable for us, just our data. An example on the Pets dataset would be I have a Dataset of PILImages and Categories.
DataLoaders: Tensors + augmentation we train with. So our PILImages are now fully tensored to three channel tensors and our categories are encoded (such as tensor(1))

You’re no longer using the high-level DataBlock API if you pass in after_item and after_batch transforms to the DataLoader directly. You can, I’m not 100% sure if some overriding would occur or if both would just simply be done, but in general you should just do .dataloaders with any kwargs for other related bits such as shuffle_train, bs, etc

1 Like

@photons the issue is you’re using error_rate here. Notice we use accuracy_multi for a metric instead. They’re not interchangeable here because of how our outputs are deemed in multi-label classification. We don’t have an argmax instead we have a threshold so we can’t simply look at the top_n. You could try to refactor accuracy_multi to error_rate_multi :wink:

Thank you @muellerzr