2020 course timing?

Hi @jeremy, I was wondering how the 2020 course has been affected by Covid-19.

Is the course itself going to be delayed, or will it proceed on schedule but remotely?

Presumably the in-person class is postponed. I was wondering if there will be an opportunity to livestream?

Thanks!

2 Likes

The course is fully online and has been ongoing. It should be released in June/Julyish. If you signed up for the paid certificate or received an invite that went out a month or so ago then you can watch it live.

Given the fact that so many of us are stuck at home with potential time to participate, is there any chance for early access if we didn’t meet either of the criteria you mentioned?

2 Likes

I have recently start the course from the fast.ai part 1. Other than the paid certificate what are the other differences for the 2020 course. @muellerzr

Thanks!

The new course is using fastai2 and is based on Jeremy’s and Sylvain’s upcoming fastai book.

1 Like

I am also in the course(invited). One of the big ones to me personally, as I have been following fastai for awhile now, is that this is the first time the library is going to go into “stable” releases. I don’t know if companies will adopt it, as I think it is more of a “hacking/research/kaggle” library, but I think a lot of the general high level training regimes are decided at this point. The new library is also very flexible, so you can override it or use callbacks fairly easily to add any functionality you want without overwriting nearly as much code, which was a major issue with previous versions of fastai.

I think overall you can learn with the 2019 version, and quickly go through the 2020 version when it is released to get caught up. No reason to delay your deep learning journey because the course isn’t released yet.

I of course still do recommend the paid course. Having such an engaged community when you are learning deep learning is really invaluable to how quickly you pick up material. The social connections are also very valuable, to your development. Getting to know people who are also interested in deep learning, who are reading about research and sharing their experiences is how you become part of the “community” and keep up with the every advancing field of deep learning. You can still do this without paying, but I am always surprised at how motivated some of the members of the fastai community are in continuing their own development.

6 Likes

Awesome to hear! I will continue with 2019 version but very excited for the course to be released and thank you for such a thorough response glad to be a part of this exciting community now!

Where does one sign up for the paid certificate?
Thanks.

Check out the Data Institute website. Part I and Part II

Is there any news on when the 2020 course will be released? I’m still in middle of the 2019 course, but I would love to watch even more up-to-date videos and work with fastai v2.

The new DL course will be released in July as far as I know. But I don’t think there’s a specific date set yet…

2 Likes

@muellerzr hi Zachary, June/July is upon us…curious if you’ve heard any updates on timing for the 2020 course release?

1 Like

Yes, see Jeremy’s comment here:

5 Likes

Eager to see the course! Do you have a link please?

A link will be posted/announced once it is released. Please be patient until then.

1 Like

Hi - posting to see if there is an update on the eagerly awaited v4 course release. From Jeremy’s previous posts it sounded like the plan was to release 2 weeks before the book release date (Aug 4). Today is 7 days before, so I wanted to check in if there have been any updates or delays.

Thanks!

1 Like

that was the last word from jeremy, posted 6 days ago (july 23rd). soon.

2 Likes