ULMFit for sequence tagging

(Peter) #1

Hello,

I saw on this question people discussing adapting ULMFit for regression instead of classification. This is a great adaptation.

I was wondering now about classification/regression at the word level, to classify/regress each word from he input text (NER, POS tagging,…).
Which class should we change to get a predictor for sequence tagging?
@sebastianruder @jeremy

(Nathan Glenn) #2

I would also love this for tokenization of non-spaced text (Japanese, Mandarin, etc.). I’m watching this space very closely: http://nlp.fast.ai/category/seq_label.html

(Hong Emrys) #3

I have similar thoughts! And I am planning to explore on this field. Inspired by previous approaches: paper: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1603.01360.pdf. code:https://github.com/guillaumegenthial/sequence_tagging(sadly it is written in tensorflow). I think adding a bi-LSTM and a CRF(conditional random field) layer on top of AWS LSTM might work. Or we can add the CRF model first if it is hard to train.

But I am not sure whether Jeremy and Sebastian have done similar tasks before? If have, can give some suggestion on how to do it?

(Peter) #4

In my understanding, the get_rnn_classifier function in the lm_rnn file:

def get_rnn_classifier(bptt, max_seq, n_class, n_tok, emb_sz, n_hid, n_layers, pad_token, layers, drops, bidir=False,
                  dropouth=0.3, dropouti=0.5, dropoute=0.1, wdrop=0.5, qrnn=False):
rnn_enc = MultiBatchRNN(bptt, max_seq, n_tok, emb_sz, n_hid, n_layers, pad_token=pad_token, bidir=bidir,
                  dropouth=dropouth, dropouti=dropouti, dropoute=dropoute, wdrop=wdrop, qrnn=qrnn)
return SequentialRNN(rnn_enc, PoolingLinearClassifier(layers, drops))

returns the SequentialRNN wrapper containing the rnn_enc backbone and the classifier layer.

Similarly, the language model function:

def get_language_model(n_tok, emb_sz, n_hid, n_layers, pad_token,
             dropout=0.4, dropouth=0.3, dropouti=0.5, dropoute=0.1, wdrop=0.5, tie_weights=True, qrnn=False, bias=False):

rnn_enc = RNN_Encoder(n_tok, emb_sz, n_hid=n_hid, n_layers=n_layers, pad_token=pad_token,
             dropouth=dropouth, dropouti=dropouti, dropoute=dropoute, wdrop=wdrop, qrnn=qrnn)
enc = rnn_enc.encoder if tie_weights else None
return SequentialRNN(rnn_enc, LinearDecoder(n_tok, emb_sz, dropout, tie_encoder=enc, bias=bias))

returns a SequentialRNN wrapper with the rnn_enc and the linear decoder.
Here the linear decoder outputs the probabilities for the next word:

class LinearDecoder(nn.Module):
initrange=0.1
def __init__(self, n_out, n_hid, dropout, tie_encoder=None, bias=False):
    super().__init__()
    self.decoder = nn.Linear(n_hid, n_out, bias=bias)
    self.decoder.weight.data.uniform_(-self.initrange, self.initrange)
    self.dropout = LockedDropout(dropout)
    if bias: self.decoder.bias.data.zero_()
    if tie_encoder: self.decoder.weight = tie_encoder.weight

def forward(self, input):
    raw_outputs, outputs = input
    output = self.dropout(outputs[-1])
    decoded = self.decoder(output.view(output.size(0)*output.size(1), output.size(2)))
    result = decoded.view(-1, decoded.size(1))
    return result, raw_outputs, outputs

Hence, I guess that if we want to output custom probabilities at each word step, that’s the class to adapt.

Any thougts about this?