Setup problems: AWS

Good to hear Jason – glad you got it up and running!

Thanks Jeremy…I think my confusion was because I tried running the setup_p2.sh script several times before having the limit increased, and as a result the script created a VPC group each time but then failed on actually creating the instance.

By the time I got to running setup_t2.sh, I had the max number of VPC groups…I was trying to delete them by selecting all but since one of the VPCs was a default one, AWS blocked me from deleting them. I assumed that all 5 were default VPCs because of this, but then realized I could go in and delete the extra 4 one at a time.

Either way, I’ve got the t2 instance running now!

1 Like

Hi There, I just started watching the course video about aws setup. I have been following the course instruction. However, an error occurred when I ran “bash setup_p2.sh”

Here is a screen grab for the error.

Could anyone give me some help with how to tackle this error?

Regards,
Rachel

Are we even supposed to delete the default VPC if starting over?

@jeremy
@rachel
I have been struggling with bash setup_p2. So I have decided to move onto bash setup_t2 but facing error. Can anyone please help me with error I am facing with command bash setup_t2.sh ? Please guide how to get through this error

@jeremy
@rachel

I have been struggling with bash setup_p2. So I have decided to move onto bash setup_t2 but facing error. Can anyone please help me with error I am facing with command bash setup_t2.sh ? Please guide how to get through this error

I have assigned correct access to user

~/.aws/config command doesn’t give me any useful info

I sent an EC2 AWS report yesterday to upgrade the AWS instance limit from 0 to 1, using the new MOOC procedure. 12 hours later, I still don’t have any instance available when executing the setup_t2 script. Is there some human assertion needed on AWS side to upgrade the limit ?
Thanks

Yes, these are actioned by humans, so you will need to wait for their response. You can send a follow-up support ticket to request an update on their progress

1 Like

In your first screenshot you are attempting to run “aws configure.amazonaws.com” instead of "“aws configure”, hence you are getting an error.

In your second screenshot you are running the correct command, but then you are attempting to run ‘config’ as if it was a script, when in fact it is a text file.

You don’t need to delete the default VPC, just any VPCs that have been created by your script.

That means that your p2 instance hasn’t been approved yet. Also, since you’ve already created the aws-key.pem file, you should comment out the line of the script that creates the key pair.

@jeremy Thanks - I tried to copy the AMI to my region and I was denied permission. “You do not have permission to access the storage of this ami” Would it be possible to enable so we can copy the AMI to our respective region?

1 Like

Hi Jeremy,
I followed the setup video and wiki (both are very helpful) to request AWS instance 1 and opened account and created a user. The following are what I think I know and my questions:

1. by checking my request instance limits through the link on limits, it shows g2, p2 are still zero, meaning my request has not be approved. Right? Do I have to send them support ticket to check on my quest? If I just wait, will they forget my request?

2. but t2 are more than zero, meaning, I can use t2 instance for free and they are available. Right?

one more thing, after running aws-ssh, log message says New release '16.04.1 LTS' available. Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.. Should I run ‘do-release-upgrade’ to update?

Thanks in advance

The AWS “video walkthrough” link provided on the Wiki - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV6WIBi9GJQ - shows “this video has been removed by the user”. It was working a couple of days ago but appears to have been deleted.

@howard: Are you looking for this?

Yes. Thank you.

I am not able to start awscli command getting below error
$ aws
C:\users\vijay\anaconda2\python.exe: can’t open file ‘/cygdrive/c/Users/Vijay/Anaconda2/Scripts/aws’: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

I tried to follow the instruction given in the http://wiki.fast.ai/index.php/Awscli_in_cygwin
but unable to uninstall the awscli, it just got hanged after some time.

Please let me know how to proceed on the same.

Hi there,

I’m having problems with the setup of the AWS instance. When I get to the step of running the setup bash file (I’m trying with the setup_t2.sh one, because I haven’t been given access yet to the p2 instances), i get this error:

rtbassoc-b5fcacd2
True

An error occurred (InvalidAMIID.NotFound) when calling the RunInstances operation: The image id ‘[ami-f8fd5998]’ does not exist
Waiting for instance start…

I’ve also tried so substitute the image id by “ami-bc508adc” (the one I’ve seen in the setup_p2.sh file), but I get the same error.

I’ve searched for this error in the forum and don’t find anyone mentioning it, so I’m a bit confused with it, I’ll appreciate any help, thanks!

1 Like

Hello :slight_smile:

(Just to preface this post… I’m very new to Python as a language.)

I’m currently watching the setup video and I’m just wondering why we need to install Anaconda? Couldn’t I just install homebrew’s Python (I’m on a Mac) and pip to install the required dependences for this course? I was also wondering why we need to install Anaconda for Python 2.7 and not Python 3? Are there many dependancies that still require Python 2.7? One of the reasons for this question is my worry about having multiple instances of python on my machine which could make things messy.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

You need to be in the Oregon (us-west-2) region. See the aws set video for details on how to configure this.