Setup problems: AWS

You can use homebrew and python 3, but you’ll find things a little less straightforward. Given that you’re new to the language, I’d strongly recommend anaconda, since it makes setup a lot easier.

Sounds like your cygwin install is using your windows python. You may find it easier to use Ubuntu Bash for Windows (see earlier in this thread for steps).

Yes to both :slight_smile:

You don’t have to - just if you want the latest and greatest! (You should be comfortable with Linux administration if you do this, since upgrades don’t always work.)

1 Like

Cheers for the reply @jeremy, I think I’ll stick with your recommendations :slight_smile:

Hello again,

I’m from the UK so I’m using the setup script “setup_p2_ireland.sh”. Unfortunately I’m getting the error:
setup_p2_ireland.sh: line 2: set: igncr: invalid option name
sh: SHELLOPTS: readonly variable

I think this link points to igncr being a cygwin variable. As I’m on a mac I have a feeling this might be the issue but I’m not sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks

This is very informing and helpful. Thanks

Hi i setup p2 instance,
When i connected, and tried nvidia-smi seems there is error.
however i am seeing the nvidia-smi giving the following error. Seems gpu is disabled.
Has anyone seen this issue? How to resolve this?

ubuntu@ip-10-0-0-12:~$ nvidia-smi
Failed to initialize NVML: Driver/library version mismatch

also when i do python seems gpu is disabled.
ubuntu@ip-10-0-0-12:~$ python
Python 2.7.12 |Anaconda 4.2.0 (64-bit)| (default, Jul 2 2016, 17:42:40)
[GCC 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-1)] on linux2
Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.
Anaconda is brought to you by Continuum Analytics.
Please check out: http://continuum.io/thanks and https://anaconda.org

import keras
Using Theano backend.

Using gpu device 0: Tesla K80 (CNMeM is disabled, cuDNN 5103)
/home/ubuntu/anaconda2/lib/python2.7/site-packages/theano/sandbox/cuda/init.py:600: UserWarning: Your cuDNN version is more recent than the one Theano officially supports. If you see any problems, try updating Theano or downgrading cuDNN to version 5.
warnings.warn(warn)

Also when i connect using jupyter notebook, i see the following. (not sure if this image will show). it says cuda is
installed but device gpu is unavailable.

1 Like

I have followed the steps as instructed. But I’m getting the following error.
Kindly advice.
$ aws
-bash: /cygdrive/c/Users/Sai Kiran/Anaconda3/Scripts/aws: C:\Users\Sai: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

It should be fine to remove this line. Thanks for letting us know about the problem.

(Alternatively: I’ve removed the line from the script now so if you ‘git pull’ you’ll get the fixed version)

Try installing cygwin python, or alternatively use Ubuntu Bash for Windows.

Hi,

I am SSH-ed to an VM instance and I get this error when I try to run nvidia-smi:

“Failed To initialize NVML: Driver/Library version mismatch”

Any isea why that could be, and how to solve it?

Regards,
Elvar Helgason.

1 Like

I’m very sorry for the bother but can’t seem to find an answer for this issue, when I run the (i think new) setup script I get to the following before an error occurs.

$ bash setup_p2.sh
++ aws ec2 create-vpc --cidr-block 10.0.0.0/28 --query Vpc.VpcId --output text

• export $‘vpcId=vpc-409c3027\r’
  • vpcId=$‘vpc-409c3027\r’
  • aws ec2 modify-vpc-attribute --vpc-id $‘vpc-409c3027\r’ --enable-dns-support ‘{“Value”:true}’
  • aws ec2 modify-vpc-attribute --vpc-id $‘vpc-409c3027\r’ --enable-dns-hostnames ‘{“Value”:true}’
    ++ aws ec2 create-internet-gateway --query InternetGateway.InternetGatewayId --output text
  • export $‘internetGatewayId=igw-825824e6\r’
  • internetGatewayId=$‘igw-825824e6\r’
  • aws ec2 attach-internet-gateway --internet-gateway-id $‘igw-825824e6\r’ --vpc-id $‘vpc-409c3027\r’
    ++ aws ec2 create-subnet --vpc-id $‘vpc-409c3027\r’ --cidr-block 10.0.0.0/28 --query Subnet.SubnetId --output text
  • export $‘subnetId=subnet-cddb3c84\r’
  • subnetId=$‘subnet-cddb3c84\r’
    ++ aws ec2 create-route-table --vpc-id $‘vpc-409c3027\r’ --query RouteTable.RouteTableId --output te xt
  • export $‘routeTableId=rtb-0fb1cf68\r’
  • routeTableId=$‘rtb-0fb1cf68\r’
  • aws ec2 associate-route-table --route-table-id $‘rtb-0fb1cf68\r’ --subnet-id $'subnet-cddb3c84\r’
    rtbassoc-9a02b9fc
  • aws ec2 create-route --route-table-id $‘rtb-0fb1cf68\r’ --destination-cidr-block 0.0.0.0/0 --gatew ay-id $‘igw-825824e6\r’

An error occurred (InvalidRouteTableId.Malformed) when calling the CreateRoute operation: Invalid id " "rtb-0fb1cf68

1 Like

@sam and @ElvarHelga, [edit] I had the same problem? All you need to do is go to your aws instance in the aws.console and reboot it by:

1. select the instance
  2. click Actions -> Instance State -> Reboot
4 Likes

Ok. Thanks Dan. I did the same and it worked.

I have finished all the steps. But now, I get the following error,
Warning: Identity file /home/Sai not accessible: No such file or directory.
ssh: Could not resolve hostname kiran/.ssh/aws-key.pem: Name or service not known.

Will there be an issue if the user name has spaces?

Hi,

I’m facing an issue while setting up the t2_micro instance. I’m able to start the instance and also generate the IP. But I’m not able to connect to the IP using the following command:
“$ ssh -i /home/Aakash Laptop/.ssh/aws-key.pem ubuntu@ec2-35-166-221-165.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com

The following error is thrown up:
“Warning: Identity file /home/Aakash not accessible: No such file or directory.
ssh: Could not resolve hostname laptop/.ssh/aws-key.pem: Name or service not known”

PFB the screen shot of the error.

Please suggest a solution that would help me resolve the issue.

Regards,
Aakash

Hey Sam,

I was able to resolve the Failed to initialize NVML: Driver/library version mismatch by running sudo reboot and then checking nvidia-smi is running correcly

3 Likes

Dear all,

I am trying to configure my aws in cygwin. But typing this:

aws configure

Gives me the following error:

C:\Users\Marc\Anaconda3\python.exe: can't open file '/cygdrive/c/Users/Marc/Anaconda3/Scripts /aws': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Any thoughts on where I go wrong?

I suspect the trailing space ("Scripts ") at the end of this path is the issue, though I’m not certain.

Ok, but how should I fix this?