For me the biggest issue was not the software installation, but the software configuration. I wanted to use Python 3 and Tensorflow in Windows10 for the whole course. Obviously, this would not be the case. I had TF and Python3 working from other coursework. Running lesson 1 would execute fast using the GPUs but the results were not great. As most of you have found out by running the code and watching the lectures, the first few lessons need Theano as the loaded weights file to use were trained on Theano and not TF. So I went through and installed Ubuntu on a spare drive so I could see what successful code looks like while I worked out the Windows configuration.
I ended up removing all my software and started from scratch using one of the linked suggestions to https://github.com/philferriere/dlwin. While it was nice to have a walkthrough, IMO, I have found that some steps were left out, unnecessary software installed, and copious use of environment variables for Theano. Somethings would work, or only part way, etc. I eventually came upon https://github.com/Theano/Theano/issues/5348 which was referenced in that same thread on windows installation. I removed all my variables and handled everything in the config file “.tahnorc.txt”. After setting up my .theanorc.txt file per that link I am getting performance and results similar to Ubuntu.
While frustrating, for most people, I have learned so much along the way and where to look for information and what certain config options do and don’t do. I can’t wait to finish Part1 so I can see what lies ahead for Part2 setup and go on this journey again.