Paperspace setup help

Thanks for your code, I’ve used it:grin:

Hi, @dkobran @dillon could you approve my request too? andresvegas (at gmail)

Regards.

@Murren @andresvegas @Mirarh We are a bit backed up on VM approvals right now but you can get started with Gradient Notebooks right away. Gradient is a new service we offer that includes a one-click hosted Jupyter Notebook (no VM setup required): https://paperspace.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/115000963753-Notebooks

There’s a Fast.ai template available for Notebooks:

Thanks a lot @dkobran for your quick answer and your suggestion. It will do the work for the moment!

Hello,

I opened a Paperspace account to start the course and ended up going with Gradient while waiting for my account to be reviewed.

I could use some help as the fastai template on Gradient is not quite up to date.

I managed to update the fastai files using “git pull”.

However, running “conda env update” has been difficult.

1. The conda command was not found. So added /opt/conda/bin to the $PATH variable. Is that the right thig to do?

2. I then ran conda env update; and,while that worked, it broke access to jupyter notebooks (error 500)

Note: I accessed the terminal through Jupyter

I am now working through lesson 1 with the default conda environment. Wondering if that will be sufficient, what others have done, and what I should do.

Thanks

Hello. I created a new topic without realizing that there was a Paperspace meta thread. The topic can be found here: Bus error attempting to import fastai.transforms in lesson 1

Any help (including best way to completely start fresh without starting a new machine) would be appreciated, thanks.

I would delete the topic and repost it here, but apparently I do not have a sufficient level of activity to do so. If someone who has the power to do such things would like to delete the redundant topic and edit my post to include it (abridged is fine) here, I’d appreciate it. Apologies for the semi-duplicate topic.

@dkobran @dillon

Hi,
I’ve requested for a VM quite a few days ago but still haven’t received an approval.
I’m trying to connect to the European server since its closer to me.
I’m hoping for a P5000 with 250GB of storage on fast.ai template, as indicated by the course guidelines.
My email that I used for signup is atlasi_hoseyn [at] yahoo .com

Regards,

@Atlasi You are all set though I would recommend also checking out Gradient :slight_smile:

1 Like

hi @dkobran,

I’m finding that even for Gradient Notebooks, the types of machines available are limited. I can only pick C2 or C7.

The email I’ve signed up with starts with davidejimenezp.

If this could be changed, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi @dkobran ,

Gradients also seem to be facing some limitations.
I tried to clone and continue the notebook for the course, and it told me that you have reached the capacity.

But the VM is working for me now, which is great!
Thanks for the support!

Regards,

As I read here, many people faced my same problem which is creating an account at paperspace and not being able to start right away. I am already waiting for three days for an approval to create a machine with GPU.
Is there another way or tool to speed things up? I really like to start immediately.

Thank you

Hi @dkobran @dillon, I’m also waiting for an account approval. My email starts with ‘emerac’.

Many thanks

Hi @dillon and @dkobran , I’m encountering some payment issue right now.
I’ve tried all 4 of my cards, multiple times, none work. every time I clicks on ADD CARD, the page would show Error! Your card was declined.
I’ve also tried to my friend’s card, I’ve also tried to use my smartphone’s browser, still the same.
Additionally, every time after the page shows Declined, I can not edit my card info to try again because all the fields are freezed, so i’ll have to F5 and try again, think that’s probably a bug?
account is aeryen on gmail

I’ve set up the Gradient notebook as advised. I started the course now but have run into two issues (possibly related) so far: it looks like NVidia CUDA is not set up for the notebook (or at least PyTorch does not seem to pick it up with torch.cuda.is_available()) and during the training of the first model, the kernel keeps dying before any training actually starts. Anyone else encountered this?

I have not had this problem. i’m using a P5000 with Gradient.

The one additional thing I did before running anything is run git pull.

Greetings, @dkobran and @dillon could you please approve my request for a fast.ai machine ? My email starts with robinrobin19980202@ Thanks a lot! Really looking forward to getting started!

@dkobran and @dillon Can you please approve my request for fast.ai template machine. Email starts with gayathri.rengarajan .

Thank you!!

I’ve noticed that my kaggle dogbreed data as well as my installation of the kaggle API disappear every time I stop and clone my Gradient notebook. Also my installation of wget is gone.

Anyone else have that problem?

I was hoping to get a VM as well but it’s been a week and it looks like there are many of us waiting at this point.

Just an update on this, I’ve since able to talk to Stripe Customer Support and they acknowledged it is a error on there side causing all the payment decline. But in theory it should be the business talk to them to work this out instead of end customer, because they don’t really have a support department interfacing with end users.

Hi @dkobran it has been around a week since I applied for a VM and am waiting for approval. I also tried gradient as suggested but I found it difficult to work with when downloading new data from the internet. Also with gradient, I could use only use the P5000 GPU a few times. Most of the time it was blacked out, perhaps due to a lot of demand. I was hoping for a P5000 gpu for my VM. My email is abhashjha[at]outlook[dot]com

Thank you for reading this