Introduce yourself here!

Hey!
I’m Rama from Melbourne Australia and I’m on sabbatical from my day job building wireless networks.
I’ve been studying DL1 with the local AI6 Saturdays study group for the last few weeks so the timing is perfect.
My short term goals: blog posts, top 50 in a Kaggle competition and build a backend for serving up ML predictions through a public API.

1 Like

So awesome to see all of the new faces. Can’t wait to help some of the new students with issues. This is such a great environment to learn. It’s great seeing the forums so lively!

It’s also great to see so many returning students. Fastai is definitely the real deal. I have told basically anybody that will listen to me that they should take it. The number of returning students that have started companies and freelancing is incredible. @hiromi and I are planning to lead a group in January (or whenever it comes out publicly) to help Omaha think more creatively about deep learning and help bring fastai to our community. I am excited and really hoping we are able to get a good number of interested people to join us. Until then, we will be doing our weekly study group which is a great way to stay motivated.

6 Likes

Hi I’m Yeow from Singapore. Two years ago I came across this new thingy called data science, so I took a Coursera Course called John Hopkins Data Science. There I came across another new thingy called machine learning, so I took another Coursera course called Machine Learning (Andrew Ng). There I came across another new thingy called deep learning, so I took Coursera’s Deep Learning (Andrew Ng). There, on its forum, I came across another new thingy called fastai, so I took DL1 and DL2.
Now here I am for this new thingy.

1 Like

Sure why not, let’s continue our discussion in our timezone group.

1 Like

Hello,

Emilian Bold from Timisoara, Romania here.

This class looks interesting because it doesn’t start from matrices. Long ago I did RNNs by hand at the University and also this past Winter when I tried (and failed) to do some time series predictions using LSTM networks and wrote everything in Swift for on-device training.

The Andrew Ng Coursera class was doable using even a slow laptop with GNU Octave so I’m curious how things are done nowadays with actual GPUs and PyTorch.

None of my machines has such powerful dedicated GPUs. Although it’s odd not to touch the hardware doing the training it’s probably best to learn the Cloud way.

3 Likes

It is nice to see you @hiromi

1 Like

Good to see you @sermakarevich :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi Sanyam!

2 Likes

I’m Gregory. I’ve been doing machine for a while, more precisely handwriting recognition.

I completed the deeplearning.ai course as a mean to brush up my knowledge and that was really refreshing.

Since I want to explore Pytorch, I thought fast.ai Live is a damn good opportunity despite turning me into a ML Zombie who wakes up at 3am to devour live sessions :vampire: :wink:

Looking forward to hearing for all of you tribe!

2 Likes

Hi everyone,
I’m Sven from Germany and I just recently completed my MSc. Now I’m trying to get some more insight into current dl research/sota models and to improve my coding skillset. I’ve completed the last year fastai course which was an amazing experience. For me it feels a lot better doing applied dl (for example Kaggle competitions) and I get a lot more out of it than just doing the typical school kind of studying.
So I’m very excited for the upcoming course and thank you so much Jeremy and everyone involved in fastai for this awesome opportunity.

1 Like

I am Chris, I live in Melbourne though I am from Christchurch, New Zealand. I’ve been able to attend the inaugural Pytorch version of the fastai course as an International Fellow, and an very happy to once again get to grips with it in the new version. I work as a Data Engineer and don’t do much of this sort of thing in my daily work, but I do love doing this and aspire to move into it professionally. In the meantime I am very actively applying it to some study I am doing with my wife, which involves natural language processing of social media - the fastai approach has really improved my understanding of the possibilities in NLP. Its going to be fun! :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello Everyone,

My name is Akram Zaytar (From Morocco, Tangier), I’m a Ph.D. Student working on Environmental AI, especially time-series (Example: Weather Forecasting). I started studying Machine Learning and Deep Learning in 2015, also interested in NLP and Recommender Systems. I’m really excited to participate in this course and I’m sure that it’ll be of great value for all of us.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone!
I’m Abhay, currently working as a data scientist. I work on projects related to ML and NLC/NLP and a bit of deep learning. I am very much looking forward to this course to have an in-depth understanding of ML through fast.ai.

-best
Abhay

2 Likes

I am manik hossain. I want to apply deep learning in medical sector

1 Like

Hi I’m Kal, I’m a trauma+neuro radiologist from the University of Texas with an addiction to deep learning. I’m probably 50% categorical, 50% image based.

I always like meeting new people, please contact me :slight_smile: if you’d like to collaborate. If you have any radiology or medicine specific questions (x-ray, CT, MRI, ultrasound) then I’m your guy too and would be happy to offer whatever expertise I can.

8 Likes

Hello

I am Michael from Brisbane, Australia and have followed previous fastai Part1 and Part2 courses - all versions - with great interest. Keen to join the latest offering!
Currently working in the rail transportation industry. Would like to use ML/DL to get more cars off our increasingly polluted, congested capital city roads. A six-car train can take the equivalent of 500 cars off the road.

1 Like

Hello Everyone,

I am Shivam Goel (human) from India. I am a data wizard working at Fractal Analytics, London office. I have worked on numerous Machine Learning and Deep learning related problems.

I have completed ML and DL by Andrew Ng, fellow FastAI p2v2, did fastai p1v2, fellow at Nurture.AI.

Looking forward to even more learning from Jeremy and Rachael and fellow mates.

Regards,
SG

4 Likes

Cycling (mountainbike - downhill)
It ate 10 years, I had a great time and it looks like I have seen enough of nature to settle in front of the screen.
I like the sporting approach (initially Kaggle attracted attention), otherwise, I’m still looking for the limit of knowledge I need to go. I like the topic of auto feature engineering, as well as augmentation for DL in tabular data.

3 Likes

Hello Everyone,

I am Abhishek Sharma from Bengaluru, India. I am working as a Data Scientist at DeltaX in digital advertising. I took Part2 v1 and v2 and have returned to learn more from fellow mates and Jeremy and Rachel. Would like to add new ML/DL techniques into my toolkit for attacking interesting problems.

Best,
Abhishek

2 Likes

Likewise! :blush:

1 Like