Live coding 5

These are great resources, thanks a lot for sharing Nick!

1 Like

On the whole note-taking business, if I may add one thing:

This is not something that is generally highlighted, especially if you consider what is published on youtube, etc, but this is such a big piece!

If you are tweeting, if you are creating jupyter notebooks, writing blog posts or posting to the forum, you are creating your “second brain”. And yeah, some of these notes are not that easy to find later on, but I often find myself referring back to the code I wrote some time ago, or something I shared in a tweet, can usually look it up. And while this might not be as well organized as it could be if you were keeping it all in Obsidian or somewhere else, you are getting something much more valuable in the process – feedback from other people, you are building a personal brand, and ultimately you are also learning how to communicate.

I think this is the point I wanted to make all along :slight_smile: Note-taking is both more powerful than is generally assumed, but it is also less of this mystic, wonderful, silver bullet solution. In the demystification, in the getting rid of the emphasis on linking, tagging, of stressing out about the perfect organization, it becomes useful.

It’s a little bit sad that to get to the good parts you have to chew through all the hype, but alas that is life :slight_smile:

Well, not sure if this can be helpful, but thought I’d share :slight_smile: Best of luck on your note-taking journey :slight_smile: (I am certainly on it myself and don’t feel like getting off :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

I’ve invested a lot of hours in trying note-taking tools and systems, both paper and digital.

Nowadays I hardly use anything. Like @radek says, when everything is on twitter and github, it’s easy enough to find. I also have a https://pinboard.in/ subscription and have that connected to my twitter favorites, so worst case I have to open that and use its search. (Which happens <1/month).

6 Likes

Yes! Another wonderful insight! Thanks Radek!

The training of the second brain should be to communicate what you learnt and not just writing down notes for your note vault. Build the note vault should serve the purpose of easy organization of what your learnt.

Also, with a powerful note app like obsidian, one can lose the focus on communicating what her/he learnt and lost in endless plugins and ways to write notes.

3 Likes

@jeremy , we fixed the problem on Walkthru 5, so it must be walkthru 4.

2 Likes

In Walkthru 3, This is where bash.local is turned into pre-run.sh and opened a new notebook (but session ended without checking it out)

In Walkthru 4, This is where Jeremy showed us how to write pre-run.sh for the first time and mentioned that “you need to make sure your are in the home directory for this to work” without pushd ~ to get into home directory and popd to get back to /notebooks/ when finished

4 Likes

exactly

Just sharing… Jeremy mentioned to use CTRL-T to return from a CTRL-] ctags jump, but for me that instead creates a new browser tab in Chrome. After a hunt around, it seems CTRL-O is an alternative jump back.

1 Like

In the next walk-thru we covered the difference between them. Ctrl-O goes back to previous editing location; Ctrl-T goes back to before last tag jump.

2 Likes

Is more vim coming?

I am really enjoying these walk-thrus covering vim.

2 Likes

I love the vim tutorials, but I really hope Jeremy covers the fastai library more because he has given us the taste of Vim and there are a lot of tutorials out there for vim, but he’s the world’s foremost authority on Fast.ai and deeplearning, and I really want to see more of fastai , python concepts related to fastai and his problem solving techniques covered given the limited time we are fortunate enough to have with him live. Out of 9 sessons we spent a good 5 to 6 on linux/bash/vim concepts which I think is a good amount for a course which is more focused on fast.ai and deep learning, but that’s just my personal opinion.

Also, I really loved the vim-adventures.com game that Radek had posted. I’ve also found vimgolf.com which sort of gamifies it but is a bit advanced for me. I’m also thinking of going through the vimtutor lessons again which is a good resource for beginners.

https://levelup.gitconnected.com/a-day-with-vim-tutor-vimtutor-25aa2e6ce52c

3 Likes

Please do be patient! :smiley: We’re doing things slowly and carefully, and there isn’t an easy way for me to skip ahead.

If you don’t want to follow along with all the steps, just wait a few weeks until we’ve gone further along and skip over the lessons you’re not interested in.

5 Likes

Actually this is all good, I guess I’m just getting greedy… since we have your time! I’ll be quiet :smiley:

4 Likes

Following Jeremy’s comment about why he avoids plugins, I found this vid with a lot of positive comments…

3 Likes

I just wanted to add:
The ctags stuff makes me think of, and I guess its also a use-case of, references in journal papers. So like in papers where the references are together with the links of the references, where you can click the reference, and it takes you to the actual paper being referenced. I think only some journals actually do this, which is definitely useful! :slight_smile:

Oh, I just quickly read about this now - turns out, there’s a name for it, its called ‘reference linking’ - here’s an interesting and seemingly prominent paper for anyone that’s interested (it has 103 citations!): Reference Linking for Journal Articles

Today I impressed people by showing Ctrl+Z and fg trick. Thanks a lot for the live-coding, Jeremy!

2 Likes

Is there any trick for storing dotfiles automatically in a particular folder like Jeremy’s dotfiles repo?

I tried running ctags -R . in my paperspace terminal, and received the following warning:

ctags: Warning: ignoring null tag in docs_src/js/jekyll-search.js(line: 1)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I saw that a tags file have been created. However, when I tried vim -t ArrayMask I saw the following error:

E432: Tags file not sorted: tags
E426: tag not found: ArrayMask

Can anyone give a hint on what’s going on? Thanks in advance.