TypeError when training Multifit Classifier

Hi experts,

I hope that this is the correct subcategory to post this issue in. I’ve been trying to recreate this notebook https://github.com/n-waves/multifit/blob/master/notebooks/MLDoc-JA-multifit_fp16.ipynb
on my own data for multiclass text classification. I’ve skipped pretraining and went right ahead with loading the pretrained German Multifit model. Finetuning the model went smoothly, with my dataset split into train.csv, dev.csv and test.csv. Hereby, the first column contains the texts while the second column contains the labels.

I’m currently stuck at the next step of the notebook: exp.classifier.train_(seed=0) with the following error message appearing:

TypeError: '<' not supported between instances of 'float' and 'str'

Full Traceback:

TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-45-78541ce330fe> in <module>
----> 1 exp.classifier.train_(seed=0)

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/multifit/training.py in train_(self, dataset_or_path, **train_config)
    403         base_tokenizer = self.base.tokenizer
    404         dataset = self._set_dataset_(dataset_or_path, base_tokenizer)
--> 405         data_clas = dataset.load_clas_databunch(bs=self.bs)
    406         learn = self.get_learner(data_clas=data_clas)
    407         print(f"Training: {learn.path / learn.model_dir}")

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/multifit/datasets/dataset.py in load_clas_databunch(self, bs)
    235         args = dict(vocab=vocab, bunch_class=TextClasDataBunch, bs=bs)
--> 236         data_cls = self.load_n_cache_databunch(cls_name, data_loader=lambda: self.load_supervised_data()[:2], **args)
    237         # Hack to load test dataset with labels
    238         data_tst = self.load_n_cache_databunch('tst', data_loader=lambda: self.load_supervised_data()[1:], **args)

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/multifit/datasets/dataset.py in load_n_cache_databunch(self, name, bunch_class, data_loader, bs, **args)
    252             print(f"Running tokenization: '{name}' ...")
    253             train_df, valid_df = data_loader()
--> 254             databunch = self.databunch_from_df(bunch_class, train_df, valid_df, **args)
    255             databunch.save(name)
    256         print(f"Data {name}, trn: {len(databunch.train_ds)}, val: {len(databunch.valid_ds)}")

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/multifit/datasets/dataset.py in databunch_from_df(self, bunch_class, train_df, valid_df, **args)
    265                                             mark_fields=True,
    266                                             text_cols=list(train_df.columns.values)[1:],
--> 267                                             **args)
    268         return databunch

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai_contrib/text_data.py in make_data_bunch_from_df(cls, path, train_df, valid_df, tokenizer, vocab, classes, text_cols, label_cols, label_delim, chunksize, max_vocab, min_freq, mark_fields, include_bos, include_eos, processor, **kwargs)
    151             src = src.label_from_df(cols=label_cols, classes=classes, label_delim=label_delim)
    152         else:
--> 153             src = src.label_from_df(cols=label_cols, classes=classes)
    154     return src.databunch(**kwargs)

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/data_block.py in _inner(*args, **kwargs)
    478             self.valid = fv(*args, from_item_lists=True, **kwargs)
    479             self.__class__ = LabelLists
--> 480             self.process()
    481             return self
    482         return _inner

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/data_block.py in process(self)
    532         "Process the inner datasets."
    533         xp,yp = self.get_processors()
--> 534         for ds,n in zip(self.lists, ['train','valid','test']): ds.process(xp, yp, name=n)
    535         #progress_bar clear the outputs so in some case warnings issued during processing disappear.
    536         for ds in self.lists:

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/data_block.py in process(self, xp, yp, name, max_warn_items)
    698     def process(self, xp:PreProcessor=None, yp:PreProcessor=None, name:str=None, max_warn_items:int=5):
    699         "Launch the processing on `self.x` and `self.y` with `xp` and `yp`."
--> 700         self.y.process(yp)
    701         if getattr(self.y, 'filter_missing_y', False):
    702             filt = array([o is None for o in self.y.items])

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/data_block.py in process(self, processor)
     82         if processor is not None: self.processor = processor
     83         self.processor = listify(self.processor)
---> 84         for p in self.processor: p.process(self)
     85         return self

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/data_block.py in process(self, ds)
    347     def process(self, ds):
--> 348         if self.classes is None: self.create_classes(self.generate_classes(ds.items))
    349         ds.classes = self.classes
    350         ds.c2i = self.c2i

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/data_block.py in generate_classes(self, items)
    337     def generate_classes(self, items):
    338         "Generate classes from `items` by taking the sorted unique values."
--> 339         return uniqueify(items, sort=True)
    341     def process_one(self,item):

/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/core.py in uniqueify(x, sort)
    101     "Return sorted unique values of `x`."
    102     res = list(OrderedDict.fromkeys(x).keys())
--> 103     if sort: res.sort()
    104     return res

TypeError: '<' not supported between instances of 'float' and 'str'

I looked at the error message and the code, trying to figure out where the mistake in my data is.

So far I’ve tried:

1. Converting the labels in my .csv files to type “int” to be 100% sure that they are no other type than that
  2. Switching the columns and making the first column contain the labels and the second column contain the texts (as it seems like the dataset.py module wants to have the text in the second column)

Any ideas on where I went wrong? I find it odd that exp.finetune_lm.train_('train') works perfectly fine with how I saved the data and the next step throws an error. Also, I’m a bit confused as to why dataset.py appears to require the first column to be the label column.

Let me know if you need more information on the error.
Many thanks!

Edit/addition: Still receiving this error after experimenting with the code again. If I’m reading the error message correctly, the label values can’t be sorted because, apparently, there’s string values in my label column. I double checked this and made sure that all the elements contained in the label column are of type int. Still not working. Same with type float. There are also no missing values in my table.