Stuck with 1024x768 resolution on Ubuntu

Hi,
first post here so hope I’m not violating too many rules :wink:
So I installed Ubuntu locally and then the fastai stack, starting with the v2 Paperspace installation script (now updated fastai to 1.0 but that’s all good).
In any case, after installing the Cuda Drivers, I’m stuck with 1024x768 as resolution. Ubuntu says my graphics card is “llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 256 bits)” and that display is unknown. I’ve tried to install the Nvidia drivers, but the installer says “An NVIDIA kernel module ‘nvidia-drm’ appears to already be loaded in your kernel.” which I interpret as “there’s already a driver and it’s running”. I might try to get rid of the current driver but I"m not sure CUDA will still work after that even if I install the manually downloaded driver afterwards.
I kinda get why the recommendation is to stick with a cloud box :wink: would still like to get this working, have a nice graphics card at home after all…

Thanks
Nic

I don’t know the answer to your problem, but I do recall having reinstalled many times before it started working. I vaguely recall too the several blogs, written by our predecessors about building your own deep-learning rig, that the specific sequence of how you install the various components matters too.

1 Like