Sticking with it!

Hi everybody,
I just wanted to share my small progress! I’m one of these people that has more enthusiasm than technical skill…at least for now. I tried to start the course using Google Cloud Services and got through most of the initial start-up. It was 3-4 days of reading google docs and trying to let them give me access to a GPU quota…I got through all of it except I still couldn’t render a Jupyter notebook in my browser?! I asked @mrfabulous1 what he thought I should do, and he suggested using Google Colab…I dusted off my google drive account and attempted to use Colab, but I still couldn’t get a proper rendering of the notebooks I think I needed to start the course material. It took me a day to realize that Colab is not exactly like Jupyter notebook. I did start to get the lay of the terrain, but I was still not confident that I knew what I was doing…Finally, I remembered that Jeremy Howard had mentioned that Salamander.ai was fool proof and anyone could do it!
It just so happens today was my birthday, and my wife asked me what I wanted. I said I wanted to spend the day on the computer( to launch Salamander.ai)!!! So I spent the day at the house, and signed up an account with Salamander. Then I finally got a proper Jupyter Notebook to launch just like Jeremy Howard has in his lecture! I’m so happy to finally get somewhere! It’s just a baby step, but I feel really good about it. So I just wanted to say that if anyone else is having trouble getting started, to just stick with it!
Also, when I get some more experience, I want to iterate over using Colab and GCP and add something helpful to beginners in the documentation!
~Cheers everybody!

I am surprised you couldn’t get Colab to work. You just need the notebook and you can upload it to colab and easily use it. Plus it’s free!

Yeah, I agree with you. If I was more confident in what I was doing, I was probably only a couple clicks away from a screen that I would have recognized. It’s like that LedZeppelin song ‘Fool in the rain’…his date was waiting for him, he was just on the wrong block!

Here’s what I would do:

1. Go to here press on the notebook you need, and download to your computer.
  2. Go to colab.research.google.com and log into your account. You should see a pop-up like this:

Press upload and upload the notebook you want.
  3. Now at the top, you can press Runtime, Change Runtime Type, and select GPU. Now you can use free GPU!

It should take 5 minutes so if you have trouble let me know and I will try to help.

And Happy Birthday!