Statefarm VGG training error

Hello fellow deep learning enthusiast,

i’m currently working on entering the statefarm competition.
I have made a few experiments on my sample and after that i decided to start with the whole dataset.

Unfortunatly if I try to train any model on the whole training set at some point the ImageDataGenerator throws this error:

7530/19712 [==========>…] - ETA: 327s - loss: 1.1391 - acc: 0.7891

Exception in thread Thread-4:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/jaidmin/anaconda2/envs/theano/lib/python2.7/threading.py”, line 801, in __bootstrap_inner
self.run()
File “/home/jaidmin/anaconda2/envs/theano/lib/python2.7/threading.py”, line 754, in run
self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
File “/home/jaidmin/anaconda2/envs/theano/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Keras-1.2.0-py2.7.egg/keras/engine/training.py”, line 409, in data_generator_task
generator_output = next(generator)
File “/home/jaidmin/anaconda2/envs/theano/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Keras-1.2.0-py2.7.egg/keras/preprocessing/image.py”, line 691, in next
target_size=self.target_size)
File “/home/jaidmin/anaconda2/envs/theano/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Keras-1.2.0-py2.7.egg/keras/preprocessing/image.py”, line 191, in load_img
img = img.convert(‘RGB’)
File “/home/jaidmin/anaconda2/envs/theano/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PIL/Image.py”, line 841, in convert
self.load()
File “/home/jaidmin/anaconda2/envs/theano/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py”, line 290, in load
raise IOError(“cannot find loader for this %s file” % self.format)
IOError: cannot find loader for this HDF5 file

ValueError Traceback (most recent call last)
in ()
1 model.fit_generator(batches, batches.nb_sample, nb_epoch=4, validation_data=val_batches,
----> 2 nb_val_samples=val_batches.nb_sample)

/home/jaidmin/anaconda2/envs/theano/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Keras-1.2.0-py2.7.egg/keras/models.pyc in fit_generator(self, generator, samples_per_epoch, nb_epoch, verbose, callbacks, validation_data, nb_val_samples, class_weight, max_q_size, nb_worker, pickle_safe, initial_epoch, **kwargs)
932 nb_worker=nb_worker,
933 pickle_safe=pickle_safe,
–> 934 initial_epoch=initial_epoch)
936 def evaluate_generator(self, generator, val_samples,

/home/jaidmin/anaconda2/envs/theano/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Keras-1.2.0-py2.7.egg/keras/engine/training.pyc in fit_generator(self, generator, samples_per_epoch, nb_epoch, verbose, callbacks, validation_data, nb_val_samples, class_weight, max_q_size, nb_worker, pickle_safe, initial_epoch)
1480 '(x, y, sample_weight) '
1481 'or (x, y). Found: ’ +
-> 1482 str(generator_output))
1483 if len(generator_output) == 2:
1484 x, y = generator_output

ValueError: output of generator should be a tuple (x, y, sample_weight) or (x, y). Found: None

I thought there was an error in my code so I tried to run the Statefarm notebook from Jeremy, but there the same error occurred (already on the get_data() function )

I did some googling (is that a word? I’m not a native speaker) and found that hdf or h5 is a file format to store very large files, and that PIL doesn’t support operations on HDF files. I searched my training data folders for andy hdf files but found none. Next I will redownload the data and try again.

If anybody has an idea what might be going on, please let me know

Johannes Laute

Do you have h5py installed? You can check by entering this in the terminal:

python
import h5py

If you get an import error you can install h5py by typing this in the terminal:

conda install h5py

or

pip install --user h5py

It’s strange that you were able to work with a sample but not the whole dataset.

It would help if you posted some of your code, especially the code you used to define batches and val_batches. Here’s a guide about asking for help.

The best would be if you uploaded your notebook to github and posted a link, that way we could see everything.

Thanks for your quick answer.
H5py was installed. i fixed the problem by deleting the state folder in /data and redownloading with the kaggle-cli.
Now everything seems to work, still wondering why pil would be trying to open a hdf file…

Thanks also for the wiki entry on what things to provide when asking questions in the forums.

johannes