Simple stat question from CHLP paper from lesson 14

Hi, I am reading the CHLP paper using RNN model for mortality prediction, and I am rough on the stats so I’m hoping the statisticians on the forum and @jeremy can help me out.

In the result section, they show the AUC curve comparison between rnn, mlp. logregression(LR), " [MLP: 88.8% (p < 0.01), LR: 86.1% (p < 0.001)", what does (p<0.01) mean? Is this the p value? I only have experience using p value in hypothesis testing, but i’m not sure what it means in the context of model evaluation. Does it mean our confident level about MLP accuracy at 88.8%?

1 Like

Yup it’s a p value. The context is the start of the sentence: “The RNN model yields an AUC of 93.4% which is significantly higher than the comparative models”. So the p values are the significance of the difference in the other model AUCs vs RNN, where the null hypothesis is that the RNN AUC is the same as the other model.

1 Like

Thank you for your help! Just to let you know that I’m experimenting asking paper-related questions on the forum, so far the experience seems pretty smooth and positive. :slight_smile:

1 Like