Setup problems: AWS

i’ve been experience the same issue as @xchen repeatedly. i’ve followed @rachel guide to Starting Over. I continue to get the same error.

The authenticity of host ‘ec2-54-70-146-199.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com (54.70.146.199)’ can’t be established.
ECDSA key fingerprint is SHA256:lh6WNnKGSI2201kUT/j+uB3B64GAyFrPg3/UqAvRptQ.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? no
Host key verification failed.

my last attempt, i created a new user id, yet the same error, just a different host name.

I did find a reference via google about Host key verification failed. it was suggested to remove known_hosts in the .ssh directory.

i did not see any change in the error.

cheers

ps i went ahead and created an entirely new AWS account and all. The error still occurs. perhaps it is something on my mac which i didn’t delete or is misconfigured?

bash setup_t2.sh

An error occurred (AuthFailure) when calling the CreateVpc operation: AWS was not able to validate the provided access credentials

An error occurred (AuthFailure) when calling the CreateTags operation: AWS was not able to validate the provided access credentials
usage: aws [options] [ …] [parameters]
To see help text, you can run:

aws help
aws help
aws help
aws: error: argument --vpc-id: expected one argument

aws help
aws help
aws help

An error occurred (AuthFailure) when calling the CreateInternetGateway operation: AWS was not able to validate the provided access credentials

An error occurred (AuthFailure) when calling the CreateTags operation: AWS was not able to validate the provided access credentials

aws help
aws help
aws help
aws: error: argument --internet-gateway-id: expected one argument

aws help
aws help
aws help

aws help
aws help
aws help

I have run it successfully few days back, but now it is giving such error. I have completely uninstalled cygwin and deleted all VPC’s except default one, but getting same error.

Did you try to wget the setup files from the GitHub repository?

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/fastai/courses/master/setup/setup_p2.sh
1 Like

I did! I may just have to wait until I can get everything on a laptop rather than icloud. Thank you though!

1 Like

I got the same problem as @donal here.
Has anyone fixed this issue?

1 Like

did you manage to overcome this issue? i am still stuck here. cheers

Hello ! I try to execute: cat setup_p2.sh and this error appear. Thanks for any help.

I have this problem installing awscli. Does anyone know how to fix it?

$ pip install awscli
Collecting awscli
Using cached awscli-1.11.117-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): s3transfer<0.2.0,>=0.1.9 in c:\program files\python 3.5\lib\site-packages (from awscli)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): docutils>=0.10 in c:\program files\python 3.5\lib\site-packages (from awscli)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): colorama<=0.3.7,>=0.2.5 in c:\program files\python 3.5\lib\site-packages (from awscli)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): rsa<=3.5.0,>=3.1.2 in c:\program files\python 3.5\lib\site-packages (from awscli)
Collecting PyYAML<=3.12,>=3.10 (from awscli)
Using cached PyYAML-3.12.tar.gz
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): botocore==1.5.80 in c:\program files\python 3.5\lib\site-packages (from awscli)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): pyasn1>=0.1.3 in c:\program files\python 3.5\lib\site-packages (from rsa<=3.5.0,>=3.1.2->awscli)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): jmespath<1.0.0,>=0.7.1 in c:\program files\python 3.5\lib\site-packages (from botocore==1.5.80->awscli)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): python-dateutil<3.0.0,>=2.1 in c:\program files\python 3.5\lib\site-packages (from botocore==1.5.80->awscli)
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): six>=1.5 in c:\program files\python 3.5\lib\site-packages (from python-dateutil<3.0.0,>=2.1->botocore==1.5.80->awscli)
Installing collected packages: PyYAML, awscli
Running setup.py install for PyYAML
Complete output from command “c:\program files\python 3.5\python.exe” -c “import setuptools, tokenize;file=‘C:\cygwin64\tmp\pip-build-97mqnqfq\PyYAML\setup.py’;exec(compile(getattr(tokenize, ‘open’, open)(file).read().replace(’\r\n’, ‘\n’), file, ‘exec’))” install --record C:\cygwin64\tmp\pip-rmh4ny9_-record\install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile:
running install
running build
running build_py
creating build
creating build\lib.win-amd64-3.5
creating build\lib.win-amd64-3.5\yaml
copying lib3\yaml\composer.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.5\yaml
copying lib3\yaml\constructor.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.5\yaml
copying lib3\yaml\cyaml.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.5\yaml
copying lib3\yaml\dumper.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.5\yaml
copying lib3\yaml\emitter.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.5\yaml
copying lib3\yaml\error.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.5\yaml
copying lib3\yaml\events.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.5\yaml
copying lib3\yaml\loader.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.5\yaml
copying lib3\yaml\nodes.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.5\yaml
copying lib3\yaml\parser.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.5\yaml
copying lib3\yaml\reader.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.5\yaml
copying lib3\yaml\representer.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.5\yaml
copying lib3\yaml\resolver.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.5\yaml
copying lib3\yaml\scanner.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.5\yaml
copying lib3\yaml\serializer.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.5\yaml
copying lib3\yaml\tokens.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.5\yaml
copying lib3\yaml_init_.py -> build\lib.win-amd64-3.5\yaml
running build_ext
creating build\temp.win-amd64-3.5
creating build\temp.win-amd64-3.5\Release
checking if libyaml is compilable
error: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified

----------------------------------------

Command ““c:\program files\python 3.5\python.exe” -c “import setuptools, tokenize;file=‘C:\cygwin64\tmp\pip-build-97mqnqfq\PyYAML\setup.py’;exec(compile(getattr(tokenize, ‘open’, open)(file).read().replace(’\r\n’, ‘\n’), file, ‘exec’))” install --record C:\cygwin64\tmp\pip-rmh4ny9_-record\install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile” failed with error code 1 in C:\cygwin64\tmp\pip-build-97mqnqfq\PyYAML

Hi Arun,

Short
Yes, there is a workaround. You’ll need to edit the setup_p2.sh file and add “us-east-2” as a supported region.

Long
The setup_p2.sh script contains this safety check because at the time the class material was made public, Amazon did not have p2-type instance support in us-east-2. So this list of 3 valid regions made sense at the time.

Since then, Amazon has added support in other regions. For example, us-east-2 was added on April 13, 2017. See press release: https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2017/04/amazon-ec2-p2-instances-are-now-available-in-asia-pacific-seoul-and-us-east-ohio-regions/

So you can either extend the script’s if-elif-elif-else, or remove that code block altogether.

Note that you’ll forever have to suspect what other assumptions are made in the class source code about the region. Is running in us-east-2 that valuable to you? For example, take this warning from another user a few days ago: Setup problems: AWS

The latency between your computer and AWS north american regions won’t be a big factor in the performance of the code, so you might want to restart with the same region suggested by the class material.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Let me take a stab in the dark. I believe your command “cat setup_p2.sh.1” actually succeeds at showing you what is in the “setup_p2.sh.1” file. Based on the chunk I can see, the file contains HTML markup.

That’s a bit surprising because we were hoping to see shell scripting instead. Scrutinizing the HTML, we see a title seemingly inviting one to sign in a Google account.

I would thus suggest that the procedure you used to retrieve the “setup_p2_sh” file failed. Instead of the shell script, it probably contains an HTML version of the error message of that failure. For fun, you could open that file from your browser, it might be easier to read that way.

Either way, I recommend you attempt to retrieve that script again. Good luck.

Thanks JP, that makes sense. Another quick question - how do I find the appropriate AMI for p2.xlarge (us-east-2)?

Hey Arun,
I was literally just amending my previous answer :slight_smile:

Based on a warning from another user:

You have to think long and hard as to whether the advantages of running in your preferred region outweight the on-going customization difficulties you will face, such as your present question.

Considering you are here to learn about machine learning, I recommend getting setup in the same region as the rest of the class. There will always be time to become an AWS expert later.
JP

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. Do I need to submit another request to Amazon for a p2.xlarge us-west-2 instance limit increase, or is there any way I can transfer my current p2 instance to Oregon?

Tried looking into this last night, and a quick search suggests that I need to create an AMI image clone - not sure if that would conflict with the setup_p2.sh script: https://www.cloudberrylab.com/blog/how-to-move-amazon-ec2-to-different-availability-zone-vpc-region/

Thanks again, JP.

EDIT: Just re-applied for a limit increase and was auto-accepted.

Anyone know how to fix this?

$ ssh -i /cygdrive/c/home/.ssh/aws-key.pem ubuntu@ec2-34-212-143-172.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com
The authenticity of host ‘ec2-34-212-143-172.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com (34.212.143.172)’ can’t be established.
RSA key fingerprint is SHA256:Qkt25vHAznAyFDV70IhziMG3L1RyUWN365oygAecDEo.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added ‘ec2-34-212-143-172.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com,34.212.143.172’ (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
Permission denied (publickey).

Hi ! I successfully configured aws:

but in next step: wget http://www.platform.ai/files/setup_p2.sh appear error:

I don’t have access for receiving script setup.p2.sh after number attempts.

How can I get setup.p2.sh script ?

Thanks again !

You can get it from Fast.AI’s github: https://github.com/fastai/courses/tree/master/setup

setup_p2.sh:
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/fastai/courses/master/setup/setup_p2.sh

setup_instance.sh:
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/fastai/courses/master/setup/setup_instance.sh

aws-alias.sh:
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/fastai/courses/master/setup/aws-alias.sh

Thank you ! After running your script:

and

and

I got an unexpected:

After trying $ bash setup_p2.sh.3 :

What should I do to solve the problem?

Thanks again !

You probably want to request the ability to procure p2-type instances from AWS. As the error message says, your current limit is zero.

This is the last step after bash setup_p2.sh.
I’,m so close to getting it up and running. Can someone tell me why my permission is denied?

I apologize for simple questions. I’m new to this topic, I needed a file setup.p2.sh, And I’m just following the video Setup AWS for D.L server. Help me to solve the errors shown on the screens above.

Gratefully
Vladi