Setting up Multi-label classfication using ImageDataBunch.from_csv

From what I understand, ImageDataBunch.from_csv() will accept multi-label inputs by simply space-separating the classes in the labels column of the csv.

However, I have done this for my dataset so that there are multiple labels per image, and it appears that now my loss is incorrect, giving negative values.

e.g.

epoch train_loss valid_loss accuracy
1 -2.241073 -5.858467 0.473379

Is the negative loss due to the loss function itself? If so, how can I change it within fastai such that it properly handles a multi-label dataset?

In summary, I would like to know:

1. Is fastai supposed to handle multi-label datasets “under the hood” without me explicitly changing anything? If so, why is it showing a negative loss?

2. What loss function(s) are appropriate for multi-label datasets and how should I implement them in fastai?

1 Like

I’m also working on a Multi-label classification problem.

Regarding your 1st Question:

• Yes, fastai should be able to handle the dataset automatically. It actually creates a object of type ImageMultiDataset that should contain all the various labels and classes.

• I’m not completely sure why a negative loss is showing. Are you explicitly passing in the “sep” keyword argument when calling from_csv()? Looking at the source code , I believe you need to set the sep key word argument in order for ImageMultiDataset to be used.

Regarding Your 2nd Question:

• The ImageMultiDataset uses Pytorch’s binary_cross_entropy_with_logits for multi-label problems.

I hope this helps. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you, setting the ‘sep’ seemed to change my loss function to Binary Cross Entropy with Logits as you said.

However, now I am receiving a different error when trying to use learn.fit_one_cycle():
RuntimeError: Expected object of scalar type Long but got scalar type Float for argument #2 ‘target’

How did the targets change to floats? Shouldn’t they be just integers from 0 to N-1 representing N classes?

I am using fp16 training, if that makes any difference. I don’t know for sure if fp16 works with multi-label datasets because this is my first time trying.

Full traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):-----------------------------| 0.00% [0/127 00:00<00:00]
File “hptrain-amazon-64.py”, line 91, in
HP_types, def_vals, test_vals, timestamp)
File “/home/nyc1/platform-hyperparams/scripts/hputils3.py”, line 406, in train_main
ds_size=ds_size)
File “/home/nyc1/platform-hyperparams/scripts/hputils3.py”, line 321, in train_all_models
num_eps=num_eps)
File “/home/nyc1/platform-hyperparams/scripts/hputils3.py”, line 261, in train_one_model
num_eps=num_eps)
File “/home/nyc1/platform-hyperparams/scripts/hputils3.py”, line 158, in train_pipeline
learn.fit_one_cycle(5, lr, wd=wd)
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/train.py”, line 19, in fit_one_cycle
learn.fit(cyc_len, max_lr, wd=wd, callbacks=callbacks)
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py”, line 161, in fit
callbacks=self.callbacks+callbacks)
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py”, line 93, in fit
raise e
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py”, line 83, in fit
loss = loss_batch(model, xb, yb, loss_func, opt, cb_handler)
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py”, line 22, in loss_batch
loss = loss_func(out, *yb)
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/functional.py”, line 1530, in nll_loss
return torch._C._nn.nll_loss(input, target, weight, _Reduction.get_enum(reduction), ignore_index)
RuntimeError: Expected object of scalar type Long but got scalar type Float for argument #2 ‘target’

Try changing the metric. Ran into a similar issue when also running a multi-label dataset after setting sep param in data. Think maybe accuracy and error_rate only work if the predict is a single class.

2 Likes

I attempted to use Fbeta and instead got this error:

File “/home/nyc1/platform-hyperparams/scripts/hputils3.py”, line 155, in train_pipeline
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/train.py”, line 19, in fit_one_cycle
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py”, line 161, in fit
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py”, line 93, in fit
raise e
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py”, line 88, in fit
cb_handler=cb_handler, pbar=pbar)
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py”, line 54, in validate
if cb_handler and cb_handler.on_batch_end(val_losses[-1]): break
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/callback.py”, line 238, in on_batch_end
stop = np.any(self(‘batch_end’, not self.state_dict[‘train’]))
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/callback.py”, line 186, in call
if call_mets: [getattr(met, f’on_{cb_name}’)(**self.state_dict, **kwargs) for met in self.metrics]
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/callback.py”, line 186, in
if call_mets: [getattr(met, f’on_{cb_name}’)(**self.state_dict, **kwargs) for met in self.metrics]
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/callback.py”, line 270, in on_batch_end
self.val += last_target.size(0) * self.func(last_output, last_target).detach().item()
AttributeError: ‘Fbeta’ object has no attribute ‘detach’

This is on fastai v1.0.15.

Fbeta wouldn’t go on that part of the code normally. Could you paste out your code? In particular did you instantiate the class (with parenthesis)?

The only thing that I did was change the metrics from [accuracy] to [Fbeta]:
learn = create_cnn(*other_args, metrics=[Fbeta])

Like I said, you didn’t instantiate the class. You should use Fbeta() if you want all the default args. Fbeta(beta=something) for another value of beta etc…

1 Like

Once the class is instantiated, would I still pass it as a metric to a learner?

Yes indeed.
Note that we just discovered a bug in Fbeta and removed it. Now you should use the function fbeta (v1.0.17).

I modified the code to the default arguments:
create_cnn(metrics=[fbeta()])
but I am still receiving an error:
TypeError: fbeta() missing 2 required positional arguments: ‘y_pred’ and ‘y_true’

Shouldn’t the y_pred and y_true come after the learner starts training? Why would it ask for y_pred and y_true before doing anything?

This is in v1.0.18.

EDIT: I tried changing it back so it has no parenthesis:
create_cnn(metrics=[fbeta])

This runs for an epoch and then throws the following error:
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/train.py”, line 22, in fit_one_cycle
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py”, line 162, in fit
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py”, line 94, in fit
raise e
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py”, line 84, in fit
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py”, line 22, in loss_batch
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/functional.py”, line 1530, in nll_loss
return torch._C._nn.nll_loss(input, target, weight, _Reduction.get_enum(reduction), ignore_index)

So the targets are still of type Float. I have confirmed that the loss function from “learn.loss_func” is actually BCE with Logits, yet the program attempts to use nll_loss. Why is this?

Sorry I was unclear, fbeta is now a function, like accuracy, so doesn’t take parenthesis. The previous one was a class, that’s why it needed to be instantiated.

OK. So then the following:
create_cnn(metrics=[fbeta])
is the correct usage?

What about the issue with the loss function? I printed out learn.loss_func and received:

<function binary_cross_entropy_with_logits at 0x7f7169c6eea0>

which means that it should be using BCE with logits as expected. However I still received the following error:

which suggests that it is maybe using the wrong loss function?

EDIT: I attempted manually forcing the learner to use BCE as loss function:

learn = create_cnn(data, arch, path=PATH,
metrics=[fbeta],
ps=[p1, p2],
pretrained=True,
callback_fns=[ShowGraph])
learn.loss_func = nn.BCEWithLogitsLoss

but I got this error instead:

File “hptrain-amazon-64.py”, line 84, in
learn.lr_find()
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/train.py”, line 30, in lr_find
learn.fit(a, start_lr, callbacks=[cb], **kwargs)
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py”, line 162, in fit
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py”, line 94, in fit
raise e
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/fastai/basic_train.py”, line 84, in fit
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/loss.py”, line 568, in init
super(BCEWithLogitsLoss, self).init(size_average, reduce, reduction)
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/modules/loss.py”, line 15, in init
self.reduction = _Reduction.legacy_get_string(size_average, reduce)
File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/functional.py”, line 48, in legacy_get_string
if size_average and reduce:
RuntimeError: bool value of Tensor with more than one value is ambiguous

Again, nn.BCEWithLogits is a class, so you need to instantiate it to have a function :wink: .

2 Likes

Yes, I had just realized that :sweat_smile:

However it still gives me the same error as not forcing it manually:

Even multilabel margin loss gives the same kind of error:

File “/home/adrian/anaconda3/envs/fastai11/lib/python3.7/site-packages/torch/nn/functional.py”, line 1863, in multilabel_margin_loss
return torch._C._nn.multilabel_margin_loss(input, target, reduction)

What is weird is that you get to a nll_loss when we want binary crossentropy with logits (that expects target as float so this is normal). What is learn.loss_func after you have the error?

It definitely prints out BCE loss:

<function binary_cross_entropy_with_logits at 0x7f7169c6eea0>

OK I think I have found the problem. I used this code to try and debug:

try:
except RuntimeError:
print(“Your loss function was \n”)
print(learn.loss_func)
raise

This prints out

Your loss function was

<function nll_loss at 0x7f61a0e14ae8>

which is the incorrect loss function, so the loss function was changed somewhere in my code. I will look into it more. Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Any advancement? @clarkeaa13

1 Like

Any luck here anyone? Running into similar issues