Sequential (further) fine-tuning of ULMFiT

I need to fine-tune sequentially the AWD_LSTM language model on two data sets: first I fine-tune on the first data set, save the model and then continue fine-tuning on the second. I can’t mix them together as the second resides within a secure environment and I can’t bring new data it. The data sets are quite similar (from the same domain), but their vocabularies are different.

First, I trained as usual:

data_lm =    (TextList.from_df(df_pretrain_data)
                   .split_by_rand_pct(0.1)
                   .label_for_lm()
                   .databunch(bs=48))

len(data_lm.vocab.itos)

->60000

learn = language_model_learner(data_lm, AWD_LSTM, drop_mult=0.5)

learn.fit_one_cycle(1, 1e-2, moms=(0.8,0.7))

learn.unfreeze()
learn.fit_one_cycle(10, 1e-3, moms=(0.8,0.7))
learn.save('fine_tuned')
learn.save_encoder('fine_tuned_enc')
learn.export()

When I move the save model to the secure env. and wanted to continue fine tuning, I received the following error:

data_lm_new = (TextList.from_df(df_pretrain_data_new)
                         .split_by_rand_pct(0.1)
                         .label_for_lm() 
                         .databunch(bs=48))

len(data_lm_new.vocab.itos)
 -> 4224

learn_new = language_model_learner(data_lm, AWD_LSTM, drop_mult=0.5, pretrained=False).load('path/to/fine_tuned')

Error in loading state_dict for Sequential RNN:

Obviously, there is a problem that the data sets are different. What is the general solution to such a problem? I can’t find it on the forum I’m afraid. Thanks!

I’m not an expert, but it seems to me that your vocabulary size (and hence vocabulary) is different for your old and new datasets. This could be possible because some words in the first dataset do not occur in the second dataset.

You may try making the vocabs same before calling the leaner.

data_lm_new = (TextList.from_df(df_pretrain_data_new)
                         .split_by_rand_pct(0.1)
                         .label_for_lm() 
                         .databunch(bs=48))

data_lm_new.vocab.itos = data_lm.vocab.itos

learn_new = language_model_learner(data_lm, AWD_LSTM, drop_mult=0.5, pretrained=False).load('path/to/fine_tuned')

Let me know if it worked.

Edit Maybe you cannot use data_lm.vocab.itos in your further training because it is a different machine. Maybe you could try saving it and using it again just like the model.

1 Like

Yes! I just download a list of itos from my original data and inserted as you suggested. Now I can continue training. A massive thank you for this simple and elegant solution!