Rossmann notebook: "['date'] not in index"

I’m almost done re-using the Rossmann notebook on my own structured data.

By the end of the notebook, on this line:

md = ColumnarModelData.from_data_frame(PATH, val_idx, df, y.astype(np.float32), cat_flds=cat_vars, bs=128,
                                       test_df=df_test)

I get the error message: “[‘date’] not in index”
Full error message at the end of my post.

I don’t have a proper date format field in my structure data but instead have a unix timestamp that i use as a date, format is integer. So i set the index of my df and df_test to that field called ‘date’. For example:
df_test.index returns

Int64Index([1533822671448, 1533822727393, 1533822789815, 1533822851463,
            1533822908572, 1533822970676, 1533823034248, 1533823091596,
            1533823147904, 1533823210017,
            1539507790976, 1539507849436, 1539507907015, 1539507969443,
            1539508028040, 1539508091164, 1539508148007, 1539508208619,
            1539508270114, 1539508332120],
           dtype='int64', name='date', length=94637)

Not sure what i should change. Maybe a problem with val_idx ?
Complete error message

KeyError Traceback (most recent call last)
in ()
1 #y below is gain_loss / cat_flds=cat_vars is to tell which fields are categories
2 md = ColumnarModelData.from_data_frame(PATH, val_idx, df, y.astype(np.float32), cat_flds=cat_vars, bs=128,
----> 3 test_df=df_test)

~/fastai/courses/dl1/fastai/column_data.py in from_data_frame(cls, path, val_idxs, df, y, cat_flds, bs, is_reg, is_multi, test_df)
     72     def from_data_frame(cls, path, val_idxs, df, y, cat_flds, bs, is_reg=True, is_multi=False, test_df=None):
     73         ((val_df, trn_df), (val_y, trn_y)) = split_by_idx(val_idxs, df, y)
---> 74         return cls.from_data_frames(path, trn_df, val_df, trn_y, val_y, cat_flds, bs, is_reg, is_multi, test_df=test_df)
     76     def get_learner(self, emb_szs, n_cont, emb_drop, out_sz, szs, drops,

~/fastai/courses/dl1/fastai/column_data.py in from_data_frames(cls, path, trn_df, val_df, trn_y, val_y, cat_flds, bs, is_reg, is_multi, test_df)
     64     @classmethod
     65     def from_data_frames(cls, path, trn_df, val_df, trn_y, val_y, cat_flds, bs, is_reg, is_multi, test_df=None):
---> 66         trn_ds  = ColumnarDataset.from_data_frame(trn_df,  cat_flds, trn_y, is_reg, is_multi)
     67         val_ds  = ColumnarDataset.from_data_frame(val_df,  cat_flds, val_y, is_reg, is_multi)
     68         test_ds = ColumnarDataset.from_data_frame(test_df, cat_flds, None,  is_reg, is_multi) if test_df is not None else None

~/fastai/courses/dl1/fastai/column_data.py in from_data_frame(cls, df, cat_flds, y, is_reg, is_multi)
     45     @classmethod
     46     def from_data_frame(cls, df, cat_flds, y=None, is_reg=True, is_multi=False):
---> 47         return cls.from_data_frames(df[cat_flds], df.drop(cat_flds, axis=1), y, is_reg, is_multi)

~/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pandas/core/frame.py in __getitem__(self, key)
   2680         if isinstance(key, (Series, np.ndarray, Index, list)):
   2681             # either boolean or fancy integer index
-> 2682             return self._getitem_array(key)
   2683         elif isinstance(key, DataFrame):
   2684             return self._getitem_frame(key)

~/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pandas/core/frame.py in _getitem_array(self, key)
   2724             return self._take(indexer, axis=0)
   2725         else:
-> 2726             indexer = self.loc._convert_to_indexer(key, axis=1)
   2727             return self._take(indexer, axis=1)

~/anaconda3/envs/fastai/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pandas/core/indexing.py in _convert_to_indexer(self, obj, axis, is_setter)
   1325                 if mask.any():
   1326                     raise KeyError('{mask} not in index'
-> 1327                                    .format(mask=objarr[mask]))
   1329                 return com._values_from_object(indexer)

KeyError: "['date'] not in index"

Not sure if this could be the problem, but I vaguely recall that I ran into some troubles in Rossman when I ran this two codes one after another; seems like you either run the first or the second, but not both.

idxs = get_cv_idxs(n, val_pct=150000/n)
joined_samp = joined.iloc[idxs].set_index("Date")
samp_size = len(joined_samp); samp_size
samp_size = n
joined_samp = joined.set_index("Date")

Ignore if you did not make the same mistake I did.

could be in relation to these lines, yes.

Actually, if I try to run the first set above (idxs = …) I get:

KeyError: ‘Date’

Also on the second set (samp_size = …=)

At this stage, i can only run the second set modified per following:

samp_size = n
joined_samp = joined

But then I bump into the error message in my opening post.

Not sure what is going on.

I am having the EXACT same issue. Were you able to figure this out? Thanks for sharing your work.

I made some progress. I added month (my version of your date) to

dep = ‘total revenues’
joined = joined[cat_vars+contin_vars+[dep,‘month’]].copy()

and

joined_test[dep] = 0
joined_test = joined_test[cat_vars+contin_vars+[dep,‘month’]].copy()

I have not found a way yet to re-use the Rossmann notebook with only one csv file, let me know if you crack that one.

What I tried instead is to use 2 csv file and add a proper Date field so i can use the part of the notebook about joining tables and breaking down the Date into year, month day,…This way I can avoid skipping large sections of the notebook like I had to when using only one csv file. Last night i managed to go through the notebook without any error messages and skipping only a few cells. The only problem now is that the prediction column I got was all zeros, but I can probably solve this, I will report here.

To get 2 csv files I just added a field DayOfWeek to my first file containing 1 to 7, then a second table with that digit and the day of week like monday,…A bit useless but it might be the only way to re-use that code properly. I wished Fast.ai came up with a simpler notebook to get us started.

Let mew know how it goes, would still be nice to make it work with one csv file only.

Edit: I manage to reach the TEST cell at the bottom of the notebook without error messages. But it’s not clear to me how we feed our test data to the trained model so it can spit out a prediction. Below the TEST header we see md.get_learner and m.fit. I don’t understand, seems to me we are training again the model on the Test data ? Surely not. Then where is the code where we load our test dataframe and get a prediction out of the trained mode ? I see these:

x,y=m.predict_with_targs()
and
pred_test=m.predict(True)

But not clear where the test dataframe loads here.

1. I also got it to work with 2 CSVs. I am sorry, but don’t have a good idea on one csv, but will play around with it.

2. Is it possible that the test dataset gets loaded in this line of code
    md = ColumnarModelData.from_data_frame(PATH, val_idx, df, yl.astype(np.float32), cat_flds=cat_vars, bs=128, test_df=df_test)

and then when you run the test, it calls “md”.

Not 100% sure about this, anyone else have a thought?

your point 2.: makes sense, i read somewhere in the forum, someone was having problems with the Rossmann notebook to make predictions, then he fixed something in df and got it to work. So it uses df, I just was not sure how, now you found it, thanks.

Did you get your model to create some predictions in the sub.csv file then ? MY sub.csv file gets created but it’s all zeros. I still have 2 errors to fix now in the notebook, i guess my zeros are related to these errors. Got to dig some more. Keep me posted on your progress.